Airsoft.....a slightly different perspective.

We went up to visit the in laws this weekend just gone. Car all loaded up with myself, my wife and her two lads (18- & 20-year old’s). On the way up she mentions that my father-in-law has booked up an ‘event’ for us to do on the Saturday. Apparently, her nephew who lives up that way has recently got into some kind of paint ball game but without all the messy paint, so we are all doing that for the day.

Me - ‘Errrrr, do you mean airsoft?’

Wife - ‘Yes, that’s the game, he has booked us all in for Airsoft’
(The car may have swerved slightly at that point, whilst I tried to regain composure).

10 minutes later
Wife – ‘You seem very quiet, is everything ok?’…………..

Next day, we are all up bright and early, we are all wearing our basic walking kit that we had brought up as I we were going for a nice brisk walk on the Sunday. Off we pop to the airsoft location (which is a few acres of woodland), park up and wander over to sign in.

And oh, good grief……there is some serious equipment being worn by all manor of chaps. Full MTP, combat 95, various all black arrangements, ghillie suits, and enough equipment to keep Stacker in ebay sellers heaven for a decade. And that is just the clothing and webbing.

The airsoft guns being toted by the regulars would get you dead in 5 seconds flat if you walked down the high street carrying it. So realistic. Metal parts, real sights, magazines etc that even when holding feel like the right weight and build. It’s only on very close inspection that these various H+K’s, M16’s, 416’s, Draganovs & pistols are not real.

I’m trying to feign interest whilst concealing my horror that I am about to do…..airsoft.
First up is simple attack and defend. Quick safety brief and off we go. About 20 of us have to defend a basic base made of old pallets and cam net. A few of us are beginners toting knackered wonky rental guns, the rest are steely eyed, fat sweaty young lads with plastic pellet death wish, all ready for action.

Slowly the attackers start approaching, I’m covering a break in the foliage, watching my front and…OW!, that bloody hurt! I realize that I have just been shot in my cheek by some nerdy little gimp hidden away somewhere. Up I get and walk back to the respawn with my hand in the air so that I don’t get shot again.

And so it continues, back and forth, run back, kill 2-3 enemy, get shot, run back to respawn, kill, die , repeat.
Then we break for 10 minutes and back into the next game. This time trying to remember to keep my head down, start crawling, use cover, cover up my grey / white hair with some green scrim that I had purchased at the on site shop.
And…..Oh shit!, what the hell is wrong with me!!! I’m enjoying this!

I’m rolling back into cover and changing magazines and doing basic weapon positioning naturally again, watching arcs, giving target indications to the people I’m with, moving using cover and setting up firing positions ready to ‘kill’ the other team.

It was actually a very enjoyable day all in all. There were a couple of blatant cheaters who tried to ruin a game, but on the whole it was a good laugh. And I am seriously considering doing it again sometime.

Yes there are one or two very strange people there who seem to be a bit too into what they are wearing but if they enjoy it then good for them. But there also what looked like a fair few normal people enjoying the game and basically playing Army.
But instead of picking up a stick shaped like a gun and running around the woods going daka-daka like we all used to when we were 10 years old, this lot get to do it with a bit more realism and they bloody enjoy it. Playing soldiers is fun, always has been and probably always will be.

Just don’t tell anyone about it.

Oh bugger….

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
We went up to visit the in laws this weekend just gone. Car all loaded up with myself, my wife and her two lads (18- & 20-year old’s). On the way up she mentions that my father-in-law has booked up an ‘event’ for us to do on the Saturday. Apparently, her nephew who lives up that way has recently got into some kind of paint ball game but without all the messy paint, so we are all doing that for the day.

Me - ‘Errrrr, do you mean airsoft?’

Wife - ‘Yes, that’s the game, he has booked us all in for Airsoft’
(The car may have swerved slightly at that point, whilst I tried to regain composure).

10 minutes later
Wife – ‘You seem very quiet, is everything ok?’…………..

Next day, we are all up bright and early, we are all wearing our basic walking kit that we had brought up as I we were going for a nice brisk walk on the Sunday. Off we pop to the airsoft location (which is a few acres of woodland), park up and wander over to sign in.

And oh, good grief……there is some serious equipment being worn by all manor of chaps. Full MTP, combat 95, various all black arrangements, ghillie suits, and enough equipment to keep Stacker in ebay sellers heaven for a decade. And that is just the clothing and webbing.

The airsoft guns being toted by the regulars would get you dead in 5 seconds flat if you walked down the high street carrying it. So realistic. Metal parts, real sights, magazines etc that even when holding feel like the right weight and build. It’s only on very close inspection that these various H+K’s, M16’s, 416’s, Draganovs & pistols are not real.

I’m trying to feign interest whilst concealing my horror that I am about to do…..airsoft.
First up is simple attack and defend. Quick safety brief and off we go. About 20 of us have to defend a basic base made of old pallets and cam net. A few of us are beginners toting knackered wonky rental guns, the rest are steely eyed, fat sweaty young lads with plastic pellet death wish, all ready for action.

Slowly the attackers start approaching, I’m covering a break in the foliage, watching my front and…OW!, that bloody hurt! I realize that I have just been shot in my cheek by some nerdy little gimp hidden away somewhere. Up I get and walk back to the respawn with my hand in the air so that I don’t get shot again.

And so it continues, back and forth, run back, kill 2-3 enemy, get shot, run back to respawn, kill, die , repeat.
Then we break for 10 minutes and back into the next game. This time trying to remember to keep my head down, start crawling, use cover, cover up my grey / white hair with some green scrim that I had purchased at the on site shop.
And…..Oh shit!, what the hell is wrong with me!!! I’m enjoying this!

I’m rolling back into cover and changing magazines and doing basic weapon positioning naturally again, watching arcs, giving target indications to the people I’m with, moving using cover and setting up firing positions ready to ‘kill’ the other team.

It was actually a very enjoyable day all in all. There were a couple of blatant cheaters who tried to ruin a game, but on the whole it was a good laugh. And I am seriously considering doing it again sometime.

Yes there are one or two very strange people there who seem to be a bit too into what they are wearing but if they enjoy it then good for them. But there also what looked like a fair few normal people enjoying the game and basically playing Army.
But instead of picking up a stick shaped like a gun and running around the woods going daka-daka like we all used to when we were 10 years old, this lot get to do it with a bit more realism and they bloody enjoy it. Playing soldiers is fun, always has been and probably always will be.

Just don’t tell anyone about it.

Oh bugger….

Very entertaining post.

Now hand in your ARRSE membership and report to the sex register.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
People knew my history. They regularly asked if I fancied airsoft/paintball. They always backed up and STFU when I asked if we had proper 7.62.

Few years ago at Tankfest, Alien Minor 2 and I bimbled among the walts reenactors. There may have been a moment when a bloke not much younger than me, dressed in mark 3 Noddy kit caught me admiring the triangular light wood furniture on his "SLR", drooling just a little.

He did an unload and presented it for my inspection. 30 years on, the drills came right back and apart from inside the magazine, you'd never know.

images

You know it's the best way forward now!
(I've chosen an airsoft Webley as I know you would like that. It'll take a few goes but it'll do the job eventually!)

RTU'd

LE
I could have done, but that would have been sad..........
What sadder than running round the woods with airsoft rambo & getting shot?
Feck, your reputation is in tatters & you are now viewed on par with David "I Shag Stiffs" Fuller.
Suggest you do missionary work in Africa for 10 years to cleanse yourself.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A mate of mine is quite big in arena paintballing. There is nothing walty about it at all, it’s a full on sport and you have to be fit as **** to play.

As the name suggests they have a small arena about half the size of a footie pitch. It’s dotted with inflatable pieces of scenery and / or various other objects to hide behind.

Then two teams of 4 go balls out to shoot each other, last man standing wins for the whole team. Sometimes there is a capture the flag element.

No camo or walty guns. They wear sports kits like an ice hockey team and the ”markers” are all shiny anodised aluminium in lairy colours.

They have a national league and everything.

Anyway I digress, he once invited me to the National Paintball Fields to play in an event called “Diamond Wars”. I thought it was something along the lines of the arena stuff he’s into, or even just a standard stag do type paintballing day with a few areas made of pallets and a couple of half hour games.

Nah....

This was two teams of a couple of hundred people waging full warfare across a massive 200 acre site. just a quick break for lunch but otherwise an entire day of running around this massive place. if you got shot you had to go back to your respawn base (potentially a 15 minute walk if you were on the other side of the place).

Not gonna lie, it was epic. They had everything from WW1 trench systems to a Nam themed jungle area with an actual helicopter. I couldn’t walk for days afterwards. I hadn’t realised at the time but I’d spent most of the day squatting to avoid getting shot. My thighs were in absolute bits. Hardest day of phyz I think I’ve ever done.

Because of the vast size of the teams you had everyone from seasoned arena paintballers, to walty types in their own camo (including an RAF Policeman who rocked up in full uniform, including bulled boots and beret). But most just wear the issue coveralls.

And there is no cheating. Once you’ve been shot, you’ve been shot. you can’t disguise a massive luminous yellow splat of paint.

I enjoyed it so much I may have gone a second time.

I'm all in favour or airsoft and also of reenacting.

If nothing else, it draws the protagonists away from their usual haunts of school playgrounds and public toilets.

I have mixed feelings about reenactors and airsofters. The historical bit I get, but I really upset one reenactor as I knew far more about the King Of Rifles than he did. On the flip side, I spoke to two chaps from the Sealed Knot, or maybe the other lot, and they were brilliant. Those reenactors who dress up as the SS and run about pretending to kill Russians, though...
Airsoft seems to be very expensive, do they pick up the brass, well pellets, afterward?

Why would you want to make banjos and chat up fat birds during a game of cowboys and indians?
Because around here cowboys and Indians is pretty tame with a lot of time to kill, you just have to set out a quarter bottle of the cheapest booze you can find and an ashtray full of fag ends as bait for chief wahoo and his warriors. The banjos just keep you fed and the fat birds keep you warm while waiting.....

4(T)

LE
Back in the day in Moscow, I used to organise staff trips to a laser-tag centre. Some guys had fitted out a huge parking garage as the arena - obstacles, strobe lights, loud music, black out conditions, etc. Kit consisted of a jerkin with front and back hit sensors, and a laser "rifle". Nice bar area in which to rehydrate.

We went in groups of 50, everyone from the CEO down to the cleaners and drivers. People loved it so much we had to organise multiple sessions. Luckily, being an oil company, expensing $thousands wasn't a problem - especially with the executives all getting stuck in.

About 80% of our staff were female. What was really striking was how aggressive and competitive they all became, and how quickly they all started organising themselves into combat teams and developing tactics (diversionary attacks, fireteams, suppressing fire, concentration of fire, etc) . It was also very interesting to see who came out of their shell and take leadership roles (it was the catalyst for one girl to go from cook to eventual regional head of marketing).

It was all fun and games until someone got hurt - me.

Ironically, I was the only casualty. In one session a girlie led a charge down the flank, came around the corner, and managed to jam her rifle into my eye. It gave me a massive black eye that lingered for weeks. This caused much hilarity in the company because (a) they were all well aware of my, ahem, fruity military background, and (b) my assailant was the otherwise very timid and very pretty junior receptionist. People used to hang around reception in the morning just to see me come in; I'd pretend scowl at the receptionist, and her face would go completely crimson with embarrassment. Happy days.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about reenactors and airsofters. The historical bit I get, but I really upset one reenactor as I knew far more about the King Of Rifles than he did. On the flip side, I spoke to two chaps from the Sealed Knot, or maybe the other lot, and they were brilliant. Those reenactors who dress up as the SS and run about pretending to kill Russians, though...
Isn’t there some kind of rule that says the older and less elite the unit portrayed is, the less walty it is?
So modern SAS is king of the walts, while seventeenth century line infantry is barely walty at all?

Latest Threads