Airport x-ray ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by old_bloke, Oct 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question that I think an Arrser might know.

If you go through an airport x-ray device can it tell the difference between a base metal coin or a noble metal coin?
  2. No, it would just show them as a similar shape, are you thinking of smuggling gold coins in/out of the country or something? Are you really Gordon Brown?
  3. Nope metals metal
  4. How many krugerrands have you stuck up your jacksie then?
  5. Yes, it can.
  6. DieHard

DieHard LE Book Reviewer

They measure the density of metal, as do the hand held wands.
    Mind you they are not pacemaker or reveal device friendly
  7. If you're in any doubt, stick to quality high value notes.

Easier to carry and pass off. Stick to USD, Eur and GBP. Give Euro 50s a swerve.
  8. although be aware of the cash sniffer dogs, that can somehow detect cash of more than £2000 on a person
    • Like Like x 2
  9. H3

H3 LE

Keep this image in mind !!

Attached Files:

10. Nah, they only go for the kosher stuff covered in charlie. You're alright with the snide stuff. The laser ink makes them sneeze.
  11. You've been given a job as a chauffeur with Auric Enterprises and your first pick-up is abroad somewhere?

A little tip - don't piss off the big Korean bloke with the bowler.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Not all bad though. Won't he get sucked off in a plane... or something?
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

On a dental radiograph I can differeniate between various metals such as aluminium temporary post, a stainless steel paper clip that's been used as a temporary post and a gold post. (In a post crown).

It will depend on how many and what there is to reference it against. Put through two coins side by side, one of each and may get picked up, put them through in stacks and unlikely as both will be fairly dense.

Are you trying to smuggle? To detect? Or to see if someone has slipped you a dud?

I would suspect if a base metal has a similar density to gold the noble metal then not.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Slightly off thread, we went off by air on hols, after the hand luggage had gone through, the security staff wanted to check Chef minor's bag, as it had a large amount of organic material in it, in fact a week's worth of paperbacks. All well and good, until they got their detector papers out. Chef minor uses an oldish resi bag, which while it has never been on active service, has been in myriad gas chambers and ranges. It didn't test positve, but did give me a few palpitations.
  15. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

send a ringer through first dusted over with cayenne pepper, ruins their noses for a few hours.