Airport x-ray ?

Just a quick question that I think an Arrser might know.

If you go through an airport x-ray device can it tell the difference between a base metal coin or a noble metal coin?

E

EScotia

No, it would just show them as a similar shape, are you thinking of smuggling gold coins in/out of the country or something? Are you really Gordon Brown?

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
They measure the density of metal, as do the hand held wands.
Mind you they are not pacemaker or reveal device friendly

If you're in any doubt, stick to quality high value notes.

Easier to carry and pass off. Stick to USD, Eur and GBP. Give Euro 50s a swerve.

Easier to carry and pass off. Stick to USD, Eur and GBP. Give Euro 50s a swerve.
although be aware of the cash sniffer dogs, that can somehow detect cash of more than £2000 on a person

You've been given a job as a chauffeur with Auric Enterprises and your first pick-up is abroad somewhere?

A little tip - don't piss off the big Korean bloke with the bowler.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

If you go through an airport x-ray device can it tell the difference between a base metal coin or a noble metal coin?
On a dental radiograph I can differeniate between various metals such as aluminium temporary post, a stainless steel paper clip that's been used as a temporary post and a gold post. (In a post crown).

It will depend on how many and what there is to reference it against. Put through two coins side by side, one of each and may get picked up, put them through in stacks and unlikely as both will be fairly dense.

Are you trying to smuggle? To detect? Or to see if someone has slipped you a dud?

I would suspect if a base metal has a similar density to gold the noble metal then not.

Slightly off thread, we went off by air on hols, after the hand luggage had gone through, the security staff wanted to check Chef minor's bag, as it had a large amount of organic material in it, in fact a week's worth of paperbacks. All well and good, until they got their detector papers out. Chef minor uses an oldish resi bag, which while it has never been on active service, has been in myriad gas chambers and ranges. It didn't test positve, but did give me a few palpitations.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Nah, they only go for the kosher stuff covered in charlie. You're alright with the snide stuff. The laser ink makes them sneeze.
send a ringer through first dusted over with cayenne pepper, ruins their noses for a few hours.

although be aware of the cash sniffer dogs, that can somehow detect cash of more than £2000 on a person
Actually the dog only detects cash, not the amount, but obviously a strong smell will mean a wad. We were still getting them to learn to count at the last time I worked with them. As to Krugers, Oh I did have some fun.

There will be be a minor variation in xray transparency, but I doubt an airport x-ray will be sensitive enough to show it

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer

I have some really nice £100 notes if you would like to exchange your coins or smaller value notes for them

DieHard

LE
Book Reviewer
About 5 years back I was on a job in Ascot for some members of Dubai's richest.
At the end of the job we had to wait in the airport until the plane was in the air, but we all had a surprise, one of the clients had £50,000 cash in his hand luggage and customs were getting a bit antsy about it and were threatening him by saying he had to leave without it or stay with it.
Not bowing down to this he asked for a member of our team still sitting in the terminal to meet him at customs.
Off he went and when he came back he dumped the money on the table to be shared out between 12 of us. The 3 that had left the airport trying to do a sneaky lost out.
One of the most rewarding jobs ever especially since we had all been given a £1500 bonus the day before

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
General_Layabout Travel 5
C The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B 3
woopert The Intelligence Cell 3