Airport staff avoid crime checks

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by hong_kong_fuey, May 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The aviation minister, Jim Fitzpatrick, got a grilling from Paxo on Newsnight last night. What a bumbling and incompetent sack of vomit this man, who is in charge of our airport security, appeared to be. Where the feck do they get these idiots? It's like we have the failed contestants of the Apprentice running our country, and they all have Scottish accents.

Newsnight clip

Having recently come back into the UK through a major airport, and having been harassed by an individual whose first language was not English, I knew something was amiss. But we now learn that foreign criminals or terrorists could be working in our airports. Great.
  2. I watched this on newsnight and I think this highlights how...unpleasant a minster's job can be.

I think we can be certain that he was not personally involved in framing the legislation etc but he is now having to defend this wholly undefensible episode.

In the end, he dropped the ball when he said that current measures are appropriate.

I am not entirely sure why he doesn't get on the program and say "Jeremy, this is not right and it is now being sorted to the best of my ability". Probably , I guess, because he has no power to tell BAA what to do?
  3. It's not just at airport security where checks are not comprehensive. I administered CRB checks for a county council on people working with children and vulnerable adults. A UK citizen had a thorough check but an import only went back to arrival in UK. Often a matter of months.
    It's not really true that checks couldn't be done on foreign national. The applicant should be made to obtain a certificate from their embassy (at their expense) stating their convictions or lack of them. It would take a long time though.
  4. I had the pleasure of working at Heathrow for seven years before transferring out and I can say with some degree of authority that it is an absolute toilet. It's problem is that it is a 60 year old airport struggling to meet the demands of 20th century air travel, let alone the 21st century. On top of this it is run by BAA, a virtual monopoly, who are more interested in making money by fleecing travellers while they wait for flights than in providing a pleasant travelling experience. As for the airport staff - jeez, don't get me started. :x
    And, to keep this on topic (sort of) I know of at least one foreign national who had fraudulently obtained a Brit passport and had got themself a job airside at Heathrow as a result. No amounts of CRB checks will show that up.
  5. Did you pass his name onto the police?
  6. I believe that the individual in question is currently on remand.
  7. I like Paxman. I bumped into him waiting at a takeaway pizza restaurant in Henley a few years ago. We didn't speak but I could tell he wanted to ask me something!

Who's seen the funny credit card advert where when something clever happens in the world something stupid happens somewhere else? When someone took out a credit card this chap must have been appointed.

Do you feel safe punk? Well do ya?
  8. The laws are in place, its just lazy HR or management that are trying to do the job on the cheap.
    We often employ foreigners and part of the process is to check with their last country or main country of residence for criminal records. The EU is relatively easy, all you have to do is get the potential employees signed permission as a pre requisite for the short list.
    There are some countries that are hard to check with.....the obvious sand pit and Afg but most have working criminal records offices. How reliable some of them are, Nigeria for example, is open to debate and in those circumstances I would be looking at some due dilligence with a reliable local company. It costs money but we do it.

Bone idle w@nkers in HR and cutting corners is not the way to run a major western airport.

Another 'clunk' in Broons armour.
  9. Wasn't in the least suprised to see this on the news this morning. :x

If the EU is easy to check then fine - as long as the checks are being done!! If the check isn't easy or the country in question's criminal records office is in any way dodgy then we should be telling the applicant to Foxtrot Oscar!!!! I couldn't care less if the applicant is totally clean. No way of confirming = no job. This country is going to ratsh1t and Zanu NL are to blame!!!!
  10. Good. Too much to hope that he will get a couple of years in nick followed by deportation I suppose.
  11. Nah, he's probably walked out of the cushy open prison he got sent too.....
  12. For your sake, I hope he used plenty of lube! 8O :twisted:
  13. As GB says CR and background checks on overseas candidates for a post are routinely carried out. Some countries make life a tad difficult by pointing to Data Protection laws but a proforma release, signed by the applicant, generally does the trick.
    Apart from private agencies, there's also Europlod and Interplod, and a number of British embassies have law-enforcement liaison officers permanently posted on strength with the necessary local contacts to get the job done.
    Some may argue that using government agencies in the CR/background check process overseas is a misuse of resources. I would agree in most cases - but we are talking about airport security, here: and Gubment ministers are continually repeating (ad nauseam - witness that Transport numpty under Paxo's grilling, like he was a looped recording) their commitment to public safety.
    If background can't be checked then no job - especially in security-sensitive areas.
  14. I totally agree. A CRB check should be invalid if the applicant is unverifiable. That's the whole point of having a records check. If Mr Kodogo is from Somalia then tough tits. It's exactly the same reason why the SIA doled out operators' licenses to half of bloody Africa. Utter cod.