Airport Security Alert

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by raggedband, Aug 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Major security alert at all UK airports - no baggage whatsoever allowed in cabin
    security alert
  2. Whats the betting you will get loads of people bitching to check in staff about how its so important for them to have their Laptop with them. Some people just dont appreciate whats involved. It also goes to show how good our security services are.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Passengers may take through the airport security search point, in a single (ideally transparent) plastic carrier bag, only the following items. Nothing may be carried in pockets.

- Pocket size wallets and pocket size purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards, identity cards etc (not handbags));

- Travel documents essential for the journey (for example passports and travel tickets);

- Prescription medicines and medical items sufficient and essential for the flight (eg, diabetic kit), except in liquid form unless verified as authentic;

- Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases;

- Contact lens holders, without bottles of solution;

- For those travelling with an infant: baby food, milk (the contents of each bottle must be tasted by the accompanying passenger) and sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight (nappies, wipes, creams and nappy disposal bags);

- Female sanitary items sufficient and essential for the flight, if unboxed (eg tampons, pads, towels and wipes);

- Tissues (unboxed) and/or handkerchiefs; - Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

All passengers must be hand searched, and their footwear and all the items they are carrying must be X-ray screened.

Pushchairs and walking aids must be X-ray screened, and only airport-provided wheelchairs may pass through the screening point.

In addition, all passengers boarding flights to the USA and all the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, must be subjected to a secondary search at the boarding gate. Any liquids discovered must be taken from the passenger.

seems obvious how they intended to assemble the explosives
  4. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

It makes sense to me to have a permanent ban on hand luggage, lets face it most people just use it to top up their hold luggage allowance with huge bags :)
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

6. This will have a huge economic effect on British Airlines. A total ban will be the end of Tax Free shopping and business people who expect to be able to work whilst flying trans-atlantic will stop business flights. Apart from this a massive compensation claim from people for goods damaged whilst in the hold and being thrown about by baggage handlers (if the don't nick it first).

If this is long term I would expect to see the demise of one or two airlines.
  7. Top marks to our security services for getting this before anything happened.

We'll never know how they did it but I suspect some people have worked bloody hard and at some considerable risk to themselves.

Tea and biccies all round :D :D
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Indeed well done 5 and all at SB, still its not over yet.
  9. Cant see this going on for more than 2 weeks
  10. Good work - obviously the forces are overstretched - a lesser threat and we had blair deploying apcs outside heathrow.

Anyone who complains should be barred from flying - if their book/laptop/grot mag is more important than their life and that of their fellow passengers they should be encouraged to go home and experiment with their neck and piano wire.

Cynic in me is still calling "PR stunt" from the deepest recesses of my mind - but it seems a well disrupted and researched plot/
  11. Well done the security services. Sadly, will now have to learn the art of conversation with the wife for our flight to LA on Saturday - Bah!
  12. No books seems a bit grim on an intercontinental flight but guess you have to buy those in the airport.

Some people have definitely earned their pay and more. Great work.
  13. I was just woken up, going to pick up my friends handbagages from Manchester Airport, it looks chaos.

Well do MI5 for stopping this though.
  14. Lufthansa has just cancelled all its flights into the UK. As explained by Sky, this would seem to be a measure to alieviate the strain on the airport system, rather than any new threat.

Its going to be chaos for a while, but rather this than seeing "up to 20" planes downed over the atlantic. The potential loss of life would have dwarfed 9/11. As already stated, well done to the security services for what appears to be a well executed piece of work.