Airfix Skeleton in WW1 Diorama. "Ein Gefallener Maschinenschtze des Groben Krieges, Um alle Zu beeden"

the chest area is a contentious issue, the ribs are only held together with flexible cartilage, but the cloth might hold the ribs together in a collapsed bundle.
chest area collapsed in tissue clothing.jpg

leave that all to dry for 12 hours, then I can airbrush the bones and equipment so they are all the same colour, or at least near to, earth, rust and general decay. The skull will look good with a grey wash first.
skull in helmet.jpg

The hidden agenda with this is the bones, equipment and mud will all be camouflaged the same colours, a mix of earth, rust and decay. You won't see everything at the first glance, the longer you look at it the more you'll notice.
skull with initial wash.jpg

the second layer of wet mud mixed up and poured into the tray submerging about 50% of the present model.
starting on the grass b.jpg

the mud has the beginnings of plant life returning, as this dries out it will recede, and start to make wide cracks like turned mud in summer.
gun in mud.jpg

I can then start airbrushing different tones on the protruding parts of the model.
mess tin in mud.jpg

as the wet mud dries, more of the muddy object will show up.
boots submerged in mud.jpg

magazine in mud.jpg

I'm calling this Diorama "Ein Gefallener Maschinenschtze des Groben Krieges, Um alle Zu beeden" In German as he is a Deutsch Soldaten.
skull in mud.jpg

Last edited:

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
How long will you be representing as the time the body has been in the ground for?
I ask because if the body is a skeleton without flesh or clothing, it must have been some time. Which means the equipment will have to reflect that.

85 years old (from Stalingrad)

View attachment 576963

German soldiers killed on D Day. Uncovered 65 years later.

View attachment 576964

and still looking healthier than a good number of the site members

Latest Threads