Airfix & Help 4 Heros

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by spike7451, Oct 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

A very worthy cause & well done to a British institution for their support.

From my Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=154700261166&ref=nf

2. I know it's unrelated, but it's not worth starting a new thread ......

...... and, anyway, it gives your thread a bump, Spike.

Anyway, I'm watching "James May's toy Stories" (repeated?) on BBC2.
    This episode is about Airfix, which I reckon is the dog's b0llox!
    James is getting modern-day kids to make Airfix models.
    Initially they're not impressed ..... and they weren't impressed with driving a tank. 8O
    The dads seemed in their element making Airfix tanks.

He's persuaded some fibreglass manufacturer in Cornwall to produce a full-scale Airfix kit of a Spitfire, for the kids to assemble.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nnm3d

3. [/quote]

My bold.

Can I throw him out of the window stuffed with flaming tissue paper like I used to do with my Airfix models?

4. Nothing new there, the RAF Exhibitions flight at Abingdon had a Fibreglass Tornado, Jaguar, Two Hawks and a Harrier, they were known as "Facilmilies" for the recruitment roadshow in the mid 80's, although May's effort was good, he would have done better including some research from the lads the made and maintained them, as they were almost exactly the same but a lot less likely to collapse!

5. The idea was that they would not have any metal or wooden reinforcement. It was PURELY what you got in an Airfix kit (but MUCH bigger). The pieces were even attached to stems in the same way as when one opens the box.

6. Just watched the prog.Fukin brill.

7. Sprues dear, "Sprues" it was good and I must admit it had a good effect on most of the kids too....all power to May & Airfix hopefully it will "Up" the profile and lead to more cash for H4H!

8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I though the programme was very good,even with May building a 1/48 Hasagawa F-16 at the start.It's a hobby I still enjoy,mostly British subjects.
    Besides,how many modellers can say they've worked on many of the subject's they've modelled!