Builds Airfix Fairey Fulmar NF.II

lert

LE
Along with a fair few others I imagine, the various lockdowns and working from home has given me the chance to return to modelling.

Every build over the last year has been with a reason in mind; learning to use an airbrush, learning to weather, learning how to stick things without them resembling a collection of ill-matched sparr parts held together by gluey thumb prints. At the risk of embarassing myself, this'll be my first build log and first real attempt at scratching some gribbly bits to lift a relatively old model.

I neglected to get any sprue shots I'm afraid, but the kits an Airfix repop of a mid-90s Vista kit.
16172775448791182544202410047761.jpg

Surface detail's reasonable, if a little on the heavy side:
20210401_123428.jpg

The interior, though, is like Mother Hubbard's cupboard and that'll be the first job to crack with some scratched gubbins for the driver and his looker.

Just to complicate my life though, I'll be building this as a NF.II. The kit decals will match this, but I will have to scratch AI antenna among other bits and bobs to match this:
fairey_fulmar.jpg

This won't be a quick build by the standards of some on here! But I've put my placeholder down so there's no backing out now.....

lert

LE
@Helm Appreciated, thanks. If someone could explain my attraction to the levels of lunacy, that'd be fab.

So trying to turn this:
20210401_170640.jpg

into something that could pass for this:
fulmar-10.jpg

Step 1, after a couple of hours of squinting, cursing and wishing I'd taken up learning the oboe, we have a throttle and pitch quadrant....
20210401_171241.jpg

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
@Helm Appreciated, thanks. If someone could explain my attraction to the levels of lunacy, that'd be fab.

So trying to turn this:View attachment 561828
into something that could pass for this:
View attachment 561829
Step 1, after a couple of hours of squinting, cursing and wishing I'd taken up learning the oboe, we have a throttle and pitch quadrant....View attachment 561834
Err for attractions to lunacy levels see @SPROCKET321 or @Simmerit they've turned into an art form.

lert

LE
So what you're saying is "You do have to be mental to work here, and it helps"?

I never realised the FAA fitted Fulmars with AI radars. Makes sense I suppose. Bit if a backwater early naval night fighter ops.

Forgot who's kit that was originally but your airfix rendition must be at least twenty years old.
Forgive it's simplicity in those days any kit of a fulmar was a godsend. Fortunately it is pretty accurate externally and if the original kit manufacturer did the canopies they will be Chrystal clear.
Nice kit when decaled up and finished. Sadly my renditions are in a container over three hundred miles away with decals curling as I write.
Thinking on I think originally it was an mpm kit.

Daz

LE
Forgot who's kit that was originally but your airfix rendition must be at least twenty years old.
Forgive it's simplicity in those days any kit of a fulmar was a godsend. Fortunately it is pretty accurate externally and if the original kit manufacturer did the canopies they will be Chrystal clear.
Nice kit when decaled up and finished. Sadly my renditions are in a container over three hundred miles away with decals curling as I write.
Thinking on I think originally it was an mpm kit.
Vista, followed by Revell, Airfix, SMER, MisterCraft and finally AZ model who's added some new parts.

As for the OP, there's no real point in tarting up the cockpit beyond adding some seatbelt

Daz

LE
Completed example
dd.jpg
IMG_20200621_094651_edited.jpg

I think it's the right aircraft. Folded wings, great option to save space on the shelf. Might be a sea skua.
IMG_1081.JPG

lert

LE
I never realised the FAA fitted Fulmars with AI radars. Makes sense I suppose. Bit if a backwater early naval night fighter ops.
It was what I suppose what might consider a failed experiment. Drag from antenna, plus extra weight, on an already sluggish platform made interceptions tricky. Add that to a relatively low weight of fire from 8 x .303 and it was never going to succeed.

But around 50 or so were turned out from what I've read, and I am drawn to the less obvious subjects.

Last edited:

lert

LE
Vista, followed by Revell, Airfix, SMER, MisterCraft and finally AZ model who's added some new parts.

As for the OP, there's no real point in tarting up the cockpit beyond adding some seatbelt
Beat me to it with the provenance. But as for the cockpit, and other gribbly bits, it's all part of my (so-called) master plan.

I want to improve my scratch building and kit bashing game. The kit cost less than a fiver from a well known auction site so it doesn't matter if I stuff it up too badly. But the oportunity's there for some cockpit gubbins, yagi antenna, catapult spools etc. Then, according to the references I've found, some heavy-ish weathering and chipping.

Latest Threads