Kit Reviews Airfix Bristol Superfreighter

A quick look at the Airfix Superfrighter in 1/72 scale, a very old school kit as you will see.
box top art b.jpg

first impression of the parts in the box, that smell, Vintage Airfix plastic, takes me back...
lid off.jpg

the fusilage is huge for a 1/72 model.
fuselage halves.jpg

test to see it the parts fit, overall the alignment is good
fuselage halves taped.jpg

the huge hold is interesting, you could go to town detailing that.
vault of the hold.jpg

and you would need to scratch the interior of the hold as the kit does not include a floor even.
plans, no hold floor.jpg

the canopy needs cleaning up to make a flush fit, but a test shows it will line up fine.
canopy trial fit, pre cleanup.jpg

main wing aligns just fine. Some times there's a difference to the size of the upper and lower wing halves, not here though
wing halves.jpg

same goes for the tail fin fit. Despite the raised detail that may well be overscale, and lost when the joins are sanded back, this kit might work well, needs a lot of work to get it up to scratch though.
tail dry fit.jpg

Chef

LE
I had this kit as a kid, it didn't end well
First kit I ever built, Revell Me 262, was mostly glue by the time I'd finished it:(

the canopy needs cleaning up to make a flush fit, but a test shows it will line up fine.
View attachment 422270

main wing aligns just fine. Some times there's a difference to the size of the upper and lower wing halves, not here though
View attachment 422271

same goes for the tail fin fit. Despite the raised detail that may well be overscale, and lost when the joins are sanded back, this kit might work well, needs a lot of work to get it up to scratch though.View attachment 422272
Its got to be a Kiwi bird! They were the last military operators.

Slime

LE
Don't 'go to town' on the interior............go somewhere far nicer.

Take yourself off to Youtube and watch 'That riviera touch' starring Morecombe and wise. Some good shots of a freighter, plus its pretty funny.

Take yourself off to Youtube and watch 'That riviera touch' starring Morecombe and wise. Some good shots of a freighter, plus its pretty funny.
Why not make a model of The Lad himself and motor to go with it?
3B5120AF-EA18-4424-A6F6-F822390900B2.jpeg

It's a shame that it isn't a short-nosed Freighter 31. You could have a lot more options regarding the markings, including RCAF, RNZAF, RAAF, A&AEE (Boscombe Down), etc. Although I do understand that you can get a conversion kit.

Slime

LE
I have a Superfreighter in my stash and have been wondering the same thing. They're probably in a million tiny shards.
I'd be keen to know if a more modern replacement set is available - I doubt it somehow ..
By some laser printer decal paper and scan the old ones in to make your own.

By some laser printer decal paper and scan the old ones in to make your own.
Thanks, it never occurred to me that was a possibility.
I've been out of the loop for so long, it's only reading these threads on here that's whet my appetite for model making again.

Chef

LE

It doesn't seem to be on Youtube but 'The man in the sky/Decision against time' Jack Hawkins has a Freighter stage centre.

Latest Threads