Builds Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon - first build

sarnian

War Hero
View attachment 614582
D2A5242F-1F6D-4FF7-87E2-F88BBF3293F3.jpeg
Typhoon took a bit of a back seat to this little work-in-progress (which I might do a mini- thread on itself… the Hawk lends itself to starter-kit simplicity really well)

However- tonight has been sorting out the various bits in the cockpit. Only bit I’m not at all happy with is the ghastly instrument decal- will have to grubby that up a bit before it goes together:

0D0AE2E4-5F51-47E2-9616-FA649B1ABDA1.jpeg

Some touching- up (fnar) required on control column and rudder pedals before I can call it done.

Next step is to spray the radiator components, which mount to the front of the large box-type structure which forms the u/c wells:

9329838A-BBD5-4BF4-86A3-407A82A1FD07.jpeg

*buggered if I know why a full size image works fine but a medium goes pissed.

View attachment 614582Typhoon took a bit of a back seat to this little work-in-progress (which I might do a mini- thread on itself… the Hawk lends itself to starter-kit simplicity really well)

However- tonight has been sorting out the various bits in the cockpit. Only bit I’m not at all happy with is the ghastly instrument decal- will have to grubby that up a bit before it goes together:

Some touching- up (fnar) required on control column and rudder pedals before I can call it done.

Next step is to spray the radiator components, which mount to the front of the large box-type structure which forms the u/c wells:

*buggered if I know why a full size image works fine but a medium goes pissed.
"*buggered if I know why a full size image works fine but a medium goes pissed."
If you're posting from a PC or laptop, use the windows app "Snipping tool" to post your photos. It produces a small file and they are identical in size and format plus it strips out all the metadata that could identify you.
Simply lasso the photo you want to post, copy and paste to arrse. The file size is tiny and the quality as good as the original file. See my posts in the "tonight I cooked" thread, all done with windows snipping tool.

sarnian

War Hero
Thanks- I’m just posting straight from my phone though- I’ll stick to full size images and save viewers the cricked neck!

sarnian

War Hero
6C2DC2C0-816C-4DB2-9F6B-28FE91BF054B.jpeg

Tonight’s work has mainly been touch up painting the rudder pedals and control column, giving the avatar of F/Lt Saville an Irvin (because Irvin > battledress) and spraying various parts of that monstrous radiator- all of which need to be assembled before the fuselage can go together.

The Hawk is going on a-pace (relative to the Typhoon…), and because I remember the most demoralising part of model-making to be free-hand painting canopies, I’ve masked it off to prevent the six-year-old from getting cross and stamping on it when canopy time comes.

The wheels half-up business is still causing me to scratch my head, think I’ll have to invest in a very very very small drill bit and wire to pose it.

Lessons learned tonight-

Immense respect for anyone who masks the greenhouse in front of a Lanc.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
View attachment 616524

Tonight’s work has mainly been touch up painting the rudder pedals and control column, giving the avatar of F/Lt Saville an Irvin (because Irvin > battledress) and spraying various parts of that monstrous radiator- all of which need to be assembled before the fuselage can go together.

The Hawk is going on a-pace (relative to the Typhoon…), and because I remember the most demoralising part of model-making to be free-hand painting canopies, I’ve masked it off to prevent the six-year-old from getting cross and stamping on it when canopy time comes.

The wheels half-up business is still causing me to scratch my head, think I’ll have to invest in a very very very small drill bit and wire to pose it.

Lessons learned tonight-

Immense respect for anyone who masks the greenhouse in front of a Lanc.
The brush in the cover? Is it unused? If not, my advice is to take the cover off. I was told by a guy who makes brushes, that you should never put a cover back on a brush as it can cause problems if there's condensation etc formed inside after washing it.

sarnian

War Hero
The brush in the cover? Is it unused? If not, my advice is to take the cover off. I was told by a guy who makes brushes, that you should never put a cover back on a brush as it can cause problems if there's condensation etc formed inside after washing it.

Thanks- going to make some kind of block to store brushes in, and won’t cover them once used

sarnian

War Hero
Quick Typhoon update:

Decals are about the only thing on this kit that are, I’d say beyond a (young) beginner. Can’t see how theyd do that lateral stripe any other way but it didn’t behave itself nicely:

A73E8A9A-7AF1-4063-B9D7-756F5EEB64DD.jpeg

The eagle-eyed among you might spot something amiss.

The Typhoon has taken a backseat to other business at the mo. Can’t say much more here or the thread’ll be killed.

And it needs to run till at least 2026, which is about when I’ll get a chance to glue the fuselage halves together.

I use old jars etc tbh, as long as you store them brush up it doesn't matter over much
There's also this stuff used to keep the brush hairs from losing all their natural oils and keeps the tips sharp

Windsor & Newton Artgel

I had read Steve Zaloga uses it, and got some and its kept the brushes from being worn to a frazzle

Latest Threads