Builds Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon - first build

Oh alright then - you've dragged it out of me! I'm going to be recuperating soon (I hope!) from a large-ish operation and will need something to keep me out of trouble for a while. My Leader has bought me the Airfix Type 45 as a pressy for this period. As I want to do it justice, I needed a 'test piece' to practise on.

While in Gib last weekend, I went to a newspaper shop that sold the odd model. Now it's a model shop that sells a few newspapers! I was like a dog with two dicks! Seventh Heaven! Anyone that know Gib, it's the paper shop next to The Angry Friar aka The Grumpy Monk. Brilliant shop! I showed him these hallowed pages, so if your reading this Bryan, thanks again.

I got chatting to the bloke and said I'd been 'out of the game' for a good while. Finally I selected the good old Spitfire as my welcome back to modelling test piece. Things have changed. The last plastic kit I built was around 1979/80 and would have been one of the Tamiya race cars, as I made several of them.

But now, dozens of glue types, PE, water based paint (WATER FFS?) etc.

I got the Eduard Spitfire llb - the basic model is simple, but the kit comes with PE (some of it frighteningly small!) and it has lots of large or flat surfaces, handy, as I think it will be getting brush painted. I got capillary glue and medium plastic glue. I also have a tube of Superglue gel.

I'm in the process of getting some bits and bobs that I don't have, ladies nail sanding sticks etc and making up some sort of tray on which to build it all. But I want to get started!!! I might have to sneak into the Chinese Bazaar and get a couple of primer rattle cans. Something for the weekend Sir.........?

I won't be doing a box opening ceremony, 'cos you all know what a grey plastic kit looks like, but I do hope to put up some piccies as I go. And I KNOW I'll be asking questions....... eg, I bought a 'weathering pencil' for the oil stains under the Spit. I've never heard of a weathering pencil, but it seems a damn handy bit of kit!

I'll let you know when I've opened the box and kept it open!! :D

sarnian

War Hero
Oh alright then - you've dragged it out of me! I'm going to be recuperating soon (I hope!) from a large-ish operation and will need something to keep me out of trouble for a while. My Leader has bought me the Airfix Type 45 as a pressy for this period. As I want to do it justice, I needed a 'test piece' to practise on.

While in Gib last weekend, I went to a newspaper shop that sold the odd model. Now it's a model shop that sells a few newspapers! I was like a dog with two dicks! Seventh Heaven! Anyone that know Gib, it's the paper shop next to The Angry Friar aka The Grumpy Monk. Brilliant shop! I showed him these hallowed pages, so if your reading this Bryan, thanks again.

I got chatting to the bloke and said I'd been 'out of the game' for a good while. Finally I selected the good old Spitfire as my welcome back to modelling test piece. Things have changed. The last plastic kit I built was around 1979/80 and would have been one of the Tamiya race cars, as I made several of them.

But now, dozens of glue types, PE, water based paint (WATER FFS?) etc.

I got the Eduard Spitfire llb - the basic model is simple, but the kit comes with PE (some of it frighteningly small!) and it has lots of large or flat surfaces, handy, as I think it will be getting brush painted. I got capillary glue and medium plastic glue. I also have a tube of Superglue gel.

I'm in the process of getting some bits and bobs that I don't have, ladies nail sanding sticks etc and making up some sort of tray on which to build it all. But I want to get started!!! I might have to sneak into the Chinese Bazaar and get a couple of primer rattle cans. Something for the weekend Sir.........?

I won't be doing a box opening ceremony, 'cos you all know what a grey plastic kit looks like, but I do hope to put up some piccies as I go. And I KNOW I'll be asking questions....... eg, I bought a 'weathering pencil' for the oil stains under the Spit. I've never heard of a weathering pencil, but it seems a damn handy bit of kit!

I'll let you know when I've opened the box and kept it open!! :D

Model shops are like dropping an addict into a fentanyl pick-n-mix! There’s a bloody amazing one at the end of Poole high street- had some ecstatically obscure Brit prototype bombers and and and tools and glues and paints… was with carryon baggage only stuffed with a funny little briefcase so came away misty-eyed and empty handed.

The Tank Museum’s gift shop isn’t to be sniffed at either!

Haven’t been out to Gib, but (back when such things were possible) I knocked about with my counterparts from there, who (with the Irish and Dutch contingents) made up Les Enfants Terrible of our conferences.

Looking forward to seeing your build(s)!

sarnian

War Hero
If you want to pay top price !

They’ve got some pretty precious sh*t to look after, so I won’t oblige them the markup. Stood at the end of their WW1 exhibition with tears streaming down my face.

Never done any armour. George Dring’s Sherman is on the list after a Victor WB771, which is on the list after Typhoon MN210, which is now on the list after BAE Hawk Red 1 (the eldest wants in )

sarnian

War Hero
4DD3FD96-9F61-43D0-AFE2-9EAA8853E5EA.jpeg

My board’s already been hijacked and I gen couldn’t be happier.

- and the best? My 6 year old lit up while asking me what I was doing, and wants to be involved

Result! Get him/her one of the cheap click together kits and help with the assembly.

sarnian

War Hero
Tonight’s update:

Model making is pointless.
Re-start it so I don’t go blind on my phone, then try to paint a 1/72 pilot. How do you figure bods do it?!

Made a fair crack at the avatar of F/Lt Saville:

C6BF1BC3-3E1A-47CD-8275-4ABD32708F10.jpeg

Though not sure he’d approve of Fleet Air Arm battledress.

Dry brushed a bit of silver onto bits of the office and painted tailwheel

D05E64C7-31FB-462F-85AD-CE2DA0F75BFF.jpeg

Picked out the structure of the wheel wells:

CA8257FA-2A44-465B-AAE5-FB84A41FC088.jpeg

And drybrushed some silver onto the floor boards (?) which make up the false floor in tall Hawker designs. How many times did a pilot pulling negative-g get hit in the bonce by stuff lost down there, by the way?!

49272E6D-1F6A-4ACF-937C-CABBABC64A3A.jpeg

Lessons learned tonight:

MAGNIFIER

-acrylics dry fast
- small parts break quick

Night all.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Tonight’s update:

Model making is pointless.
Re-start it so I don’t go blind on my phone, then try to paint a 1/72 pilot. How do you figure bods do it?!

Made a fair crack at the avatar of F/Lt Saville:

View attachment 612259

Though not sure he’d approve of Fleet Air Arm battledress.

Dry brushed a bit of silver onto bits of the office and painted tailwheel

View attachment 612260

Picked out the structure of the wheel wells:

View attachment 612261

And drybrushed some silver onto the floor boards (?) which make up the false floor in tall Hawker designs. How many times did a pilot pulling negative-g get hit in the bonce by stuff lost down there, by the way?!

View attachment 612262

Lessons learned tonight:

MAGNIFIER

-acrylics dry fast
- small parts break quick

Night all.
It's looking good mate, like anything it's a learning curve and will take practice.

sarnian

War Hero
Now because I’m a difficult sod by temperament, not only do I need to make the appropriate markings for MN210, but I have in mind to pose this a/c taking off, with gear on its way up, like this:

899DE651-ECBA-4838-900E-600E23CE4D06.jpeg

My non-existent modelling knowledge is leading me down the path of a) warming the locating lugs at the top of the main gear and bending to desired angle, and b) shortening the hydraulic rams as necessary:

8426D71B-C249-41E9-9EAF-DD1A1F6833CF.jpeg

But I suspect there’s a better way. Could any of you kind people point me in the right direction please?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Now because I’m a difficult sod by temperament, not only do I need to make the appropriate markings for MN210, but I have in mind to pose this a/c taking off, with gear on its way up, like this:

View attachment 612292

My non-existent modelling knowledge is leading me down the path of a) warming the locating lugs at the top of the main gear and bending to desired angle, and b) shortening the hydraulic rams as necessary:

View attachment 612293

But I suspect there’s a better way. Could any of you kind people point me in the right direction please?
Depending on how thin it is etc I would have thought cutting it and pinning it in place might be the easiest method.

When did 'they' take away the wee slot in the bottom of aircraft models, where, as kids, we slotted in the clear stand to make the model look like it was flying?

Model shops are like dropping an addict into a fentanyl pick-n-mix! There’s a bloody amazing one at the end of Poole high street- had some ecstatically obscure Brit prototype bombers and and and tools and glues and paints… was with carryon baggage only stuffed with a funny little briefcase so came away misty-eyed and empty handed.

The Tank Museum’s gift shop isn’t to be sniffed at either!

Haven’t been out to Gib, but (back when such things were possible) I knocked about with my counterparts from there, who (with the Irish and Dutch contingents) made up Les Enfants Terrible of our conferences.

Looking forward to seeing your build(s)!
Went to the tank museum today, my wallet took a beating in the shop on the way out.

Spacehopper383

War Hero
I've just bought 5 Haynes manuals from the Tank Museum shop online. All of them (That I bought) were reduced to between £5.99 & £8.99. Amazon have some of them at around £27, so massive savings.

sarnian

War Hero
Went to the tank museum today, my wallet took a beating in the shop on the way out.

I could spend a day in there!

Not sure of the moral/ethical choices behind the cuddly-toy Panzerfausts though (noduff).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I could spend a day in there!

Not sure of the moral/ethical choices behind the cuddly-toy Panzerfausts though (noduff).

An accessory for your teddy bear?
20211030_065458.jpg

ches

LE
I've just bought 5 Haynes manuals from the Tank Museum shop online. All of them (That I bought) were reduced to between £5.99 & £8.99. Amazon have some of them at around £27, so massive savings.

Keep an eye on The Works - they are always knocking out very cheap Haynes, I picked up the Tiger, Mossie, Hurri, Spit & Maserati 250 ones over about a year period for about £4 each.

Latest Threads