Builds Airfix 1/72 Hawker Typhoon - first build

sarnian

War Hero
I’ve decided I want to do something artistic to keep me a little further from my damn phone and away from constantly reading about bloody c*vid.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out where I live and where I’m from- anyone who knows much about ze vor knows that the seabed around my home is littered in aeroplanes, one of which is a Typhoon of 439 sqn RCAF which piled in while dive-bombing the Wurzburg target-acquisition radar at Clarence Battery on 5th June ‘44.

It currently sits, a registered War Grave, within 300 yards of Castle Cornet in about 20m of water. One day I’d like to do a James-Holland style ‘walking the ground’ video of the story, but for now I’ll stick with using it as the first subject to get me back into modelling.

Airfix do a lovely little 1/72 version of the Mark 1b, which is what I picked up to cut my teeth on. Without further ado, I’ve started (playing with my new toy) putting some Vallejo interior green in the cockpit and wheel wells, and picking out details by brush:

996DE02A-CD7A-4FA5-99E0-FC3CD2F97609.jpeg

By the way- a sort of ‘thanks’ is required to all of those on this forum for inspiring me to put some kit together again and get stuck in. Please do chime in with critique as and when, I’m here to learn.

Crowdfunding request to follow

Enjoy the build. I find I don't have time or headspace to concentrate on a proper build but I enjoy sticking bits of plastic together and painting them black/dark blue and then silver and mounting them on wood to make them look like metal "table pieces". I find I can do that whereas I can't find the time or patience to do a proper painted build. You may inspire me and give me that push.

Go steady and thanks for starting the post.

Last edited:
I’ve decided I want to do something artistic to keep me a little further from my damn phone and away from constantly reading about bloody c*vid.

It doesn’t take a genius to work out where I live and where I’m from- anyone who knows much about ze vor knows that the seabed around my home is littered in aeroplanes, one of which is a Typhoon of 439 sqn RCAF which piled in while dive-bombing the Wurzburg target-acquisition radar at Clarence Battery on 5th June ‘44.

It currently sits, a registered War Grave, within 300 yards of Castle Cornet in about 20m of water. One day I’d like to do a James-Holland style ‘walking the ground’ video of the story, but for now I’ll stick with using it as the first subject to get me back into modelling.

Airfix do a lovely little 1/72 version of the Mark 1b, which is what I picked up to cut my teeth on. Without further ado, I’ve started (playing with my new toy) putting some Vallejo interior green in the cockpit and wheel wells, and picking out details by brush:

View attachment 612011

By the way- a sort of ‘thanks’ is required to all of those on this forum for inspiring me to put some kit together again and get stuck in. Please do chime in with critique as and when, I’m here to learn.

That's nice pristine cutting sheet - I'll bet it won't look like that in a year's time ;-)

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer

View attachment 612011

Glad you have given it a go, inspiring people to have a bash is one of the main reasons this forum exists.

Daz

LE

View attachment 612011

I'm assuming that this is the man whom you're talking about? It's an interesting read.

Daz

LE

View attachment 612011

Undercoating helps, that brand of paint is easy to damage without undercoating and varnishing

sarnian

War Hero
I’ve got some plasticote light grey (in lieu of Halfords, as I can’t reach one). Anyone got any views on it? And do you tend to u/coat whole sprues or clip out relevant bits and do separately?

*edited sp

Last edited:
This is great @sarnian! You can ask all the (silly) questions I either can't think off or are too embarrassed to ask! My shiny new virgin cutting mat is red!

I last made a plastic kit in the late 70s. It would have been one of the Tamiya (?) racing cars, as I made quite a few of them. No such thing as PE then, and glue in bottles, applied by brush, was revolutionary!

I'm going to expose my kit soon........:rolleyes:

sarnian

War Hero
Undercoating helps, that brand of paint is easy to damage without undercoating and varnishing
Right- I’ve snatched five minutes and given the lot the lightest coats of primer I can manage; looks ok on initial inspection but we’ll see later when modelling hour comes and I can get it into the proper light.

Side question- when airbrushing with Vallejo paints- I presume I need a mask? And if done at say… an open plan kitchen table, need wifey wear a mask too while watching telly? (Reconsideration may be required….!)

Daz

LE
Right- I’ve snatched five minutes and given the lot the lightest coats of primer I can manage; looks ok on initial inspection but we’ll see later when modelling hour comes and I can get it into the proper light.

Side question- when airbrushing with Vallejo paints- I presume I need a mask? And if done at say… an open plan kitchen table, need wifey wear a mask too while watching telly? (Reconsideration may be required….!)
I've never bothered with a mask, just don't spray the misses by mistake :)

sarnian

War Hero
Results of automotive rattlecan primer are in- pleasantly surprised at the lack of blobs, splotches and future sanding:

2286CB46-8A63-4805-BFFF-E4C2B83697B0.jpeg

Tonight’s scheme of works is cockpit interior parts and undercart bays.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Car primer is usually an excellent finish and a lot cheaper. Although I usually give it 24hrs before I daub paint all over it to make sure it's fully cured.

Daz

LE
Always found it was better to prime "after" items had been removed from the runners and "after" items were glued together in subassemblies, it saves damage to the primer with the resulting glueing, sanding etc

Prior to sanding, note filler that needs to be sanded etc

IMG_20200425_201445_edited.jpg

After sanding, undercoats applied, if I had undercoated beforehand, I'd of ended up with damaged paintwork
IMG_20200428_133334.jpg

sarnian

War Hero
3CAB50D4-7F7A-4547-A26F-EAC5B628C5F6.jpeg

Current state of play- upper cockpit panels sprayed black, details picked out based on cockpit photos. Thin black wash to grubby the area up a bit.

Lessons learned so far:

-mask a bigger area than anticipated (there was overspray of black on cockpit green, as I’m not as nimble as I thought with me new airbrush)
-better light & magnification needed
- acrylic paints (as opposed to unthinned enamels - my only previous experience) are a joy to mix, and apply
- will try the pin-drill and cocktail stick method of holding small parts to paint (prop helpfully slipped the surly bonds of blu-tac and f*cked off at speed)

- and the best? My 6 year old lit up while asking me what I was doing, and wants to be involved

Tonight’s scheme of works:

- seat, pilot, dash, seat armour and false floor/ u/c box assembly

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fantastic! Thanks- I’d found- and lost again the letter from his CO; I’ll be digging into those other docs as soon as I have a minute. Sombre reading

One of the fascinating aspects of builds in this part of ARRSE is the history and research that accompanies them.
Please don't be shy in attaching links or relevant docs.

Latest Threads