Builds Airfix 1/32 scale Jaguar 420 Vintage kit re-release,

first flat looking coat of gold, let this dry before it gets a coat of high gloss varnish.
gold coat b.jpg

Something in my head tells me some jags had dual fuel filler caps between the c-pillar and boot lid on some models.
Ok, time to go to the University of ARRSE...
Paging @Roadster280 and @jagman2

Yes they did

XJ's series 1 to 3 had chrome Monza types
Mk10 had twin tanks fitted fillets under flaps

Mk10 and 420G are the same car, the 420G being the mildly updated version
Mk10 the prettier car with the smooth alloy cam covers rather than the black ribbed ones

Superb car

So far, I'm pleased with the gold paint under the varnish, I went for Humbrol matt varnish, as it has a fault, it's got a slight sheen, very scale sheen for 1/32 scale. Just need to brush in the chrome door trim.
gold paint dry varnish.jpg

the rear chassis shows the fuel tanks either side of the boot.
chassis in black a.jpg

the rear suspension added, an early test fit of the wheel to see if they all touch the ground, so I'll make the wheels up for that.
chassis rear suspension.jpg

front suspension, engine, steering all needs the same check with the wheels to see if I've assembled it all correctly.
chassis front sump and front springs.jpg

the windows are not a great fit, by todays standards, the front and rear windscreens have gap issues, solved with PVA glue that dries clear. The side windows fitted ok, held in place by clothes pegs as the pva glue dries.
side window peg a.jpg

the interior fitted, waiting it's kit issue driver figure
car interior gv.jpg

Daz

LE
the windows are not a great fit, by todays standards, the front and rear windscreens have gap issues, solved with PVA glue that dries clear. The side windows fitted ok, held in place by clothes pegs as the pva glue dries.
View attachment 622975
the interior fitted, waiting it's kit issue driver figure
View attachment 622976
Nice work......but I'm not sure about the gold paint, too many speckles for me

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

I had to paint a set of E-type jag wheels (proper full size ones) in blue for one of our MD's back in the day.
250 ******* spokes on each one I think.
He only went and took them out of the paint booth before we'd baked the paint off and was upset when the tyre guy ruined the paint...

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Bloody confusing TBH
Sans nearside flap

Wonder if it changed from model year to next....

And yet......here's one like you suggest....

Bloody lovely cars in their day. Bank robbers favourite!
Bank robbers' favourite was the 3.8 Saloon:

1639567068478.png

Didn't you ever watch The Sweeney?

the body nearly ready to go on the chassis, driver is in basic colours awaiting details, like his purple nose and blood shot cheeks.
body nearly ready to fit.jpg

the Christmas gifts on the back seat that wouldn't fit in the boot with his suitcase and the things his wife asked to bring along.
christmas presents on the back seat.jpg

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Lovely touch that.
thanks, the tires are terrible, bit it's ok, they'll be covered with slushy snow, if only I had a tiny photocopy of this picture, as if his grandsons much anticipated Stylephone has yet to be wrapped, te he. needs a couple of tiny wrapped bottles doesn't it.
stylephone.jpg

the driver through the window
intruder window a.jpg
car on it's road base to check for size, few externals to go on still, bumpers, grill, jag emblem, door handles. Just needs the slushy road snow, I'm thinking baking soda and pva glue.
basic base no snow.jpg

headlights next, using a patch of silver baking foil, shiny side outward, superglued into the bucket, then trimmed flush with PE scissors when dry. Pressed home using the domed end of a paintbrush handle of the right dimensions.
headlamp a.jpg

gluing in the lens was dead easy, using pva glue again, the clear parts have tapered edges to let them hold fast. any creases in the foil make confusing shadows that could be the bulb, bulb holder or the wiring.
headlamp b.jpg

Latest Threads