Builds Airfix 1/32 scale Beach Buggy

recently re-released after a absence in the catalogue since 1979, the Bugle Buggy is back on the shelf. So here we go with it's construction. I'm making the model out of the box, then placing it out of the way before I make it's beach diorama base of flying sand and water, then I'll be getting on with another project, 1/600TH scale HMS Warspite with a pe set.
box top artwork.jpg

starting with the exhaust and intercooler pipes for the air cooled VW engine.
instruction sheet a .jpg

the main pipe needs drilling out so that it looks hollow.
part fourteen.jpg

using folded fine sanding paper to open up the curve of the pipe, takes out the mold line and flash.
intercooler pipe shaping.jpg

joining the pipes to the cylinder heads.
joining intercooler pipe.jpg

cheers, it's Rover Tara green from a Halford rattle can I had hanging around from a previous project, The Bugle Buggy has a shortened VW Beetle floor pan, Here's the one I'm working on.

doing a body test fit, I realised I'd got the rear suspension torsion bar plate ( part 22) up at a high angle, wrong!
rear torsion bar plate.jpg

it fouled the underside of the fuel tank preventing a flush fit of the body tub. so took it all apart and made it like this.
rear torsion bar plate complete diagram.jpg

if I were to do another one, and it's a fun little kit, so probably will, I'd modify the over large damper rings, they're way overscale (part 23.)
the real thing with the torsion plates horizontal.
bump stop fitted left.png

then the body fits flush to the floor, a nice fit for a 1972 kit. This join is in clear view so it has to be good.
chassis  body fit b.jpg

next up, seats, windscreen, then painting the figures
chassis  body fit a.jpg

with the figures half painted, the windscreen held at the right angle as the glue sets.
windscreen held in place.jpg

ok, gingerly removed the tweezers, the windscreen is setting, leave that for a bit before finishing the figure painting
figures in base colours.jpg

That's it for now, I'll place this away on the waiting for a Diorama base and glass case shelf. I'm pleased with the end result, the harsh light doesn't do my figure painting any favours, but to my eye it's a neat attractive little model.
assembly completed a jpg.jpg

I like that the Bugle Buggy has a Union flag on the tail.
assembly completed rear.jpg

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thant's it for now, I'll place this away on the waiting for a Diorama base and glass case shelf. I'm pleased with the end result, the harsh light doesn't do my figure painting any favours, but to my eye it's a neat attractive little model.
View attachment 594017
I like that the Bugle Buggy has a Union flag on the tail.
View attachment 594018
That man, show head de Brylcreemed 2200hrs! looks like a super little kit, are you going with a base similar to the box art?

Latest Threads