Builds Airfix 1/180 scale HMS Victory

daz

LE
boat covers made from tissue soaked in a solution of watered down white glue, cut out and applied to the top of the boats, ready to be trimmed off. Once it dries it takes paint.
boat covers.png

masts and yards, mould join line sanded off, ejector pin marks filled with Mr surfacer model filler liquid.
masts and yards sanded and filled.png

finally found time to sit down and fix a few miniature knots, here the footfall lines under the fore-mast yard, fiddely but worth doing for all the yards.
footfalls on foremast.png

the shrouds, take ages and are very fiddley to fit.
main mast shrouds a.png

it would look like nothing without them though, I'm making the horizontal lines with stretched sprue, not sure yet how they will look.
mainmast shrouds b.png

the kit doesn't include dead eyes for the outside of the hull, so I had to make them with stretched sprue, strong enough to hold the sprite mast stays.
bow sprite standing.png

moving along slowly, the anchors in, now I regret using the tan coloured thread, it detracts too much by standing out might swap it out for black, and re do the stays while I'm at it.
archor stays.png

the gun port lids, could be a tedious pain, had I not used masking tape and red and black spray can.
porl lids black and red.png

the port lids propped in position with a timber brace on the dockside (tooth pick)
port lids prop.png

the rigging is coming along, the foot ropes will be made from uhu string glue.
silhouette green backdrop.png

this is a model for Mrs Sprocket, she has the family line of a Victory crewman, so it will be her decision if I fit the England expects..." signal flags (trying to copy daz's picture of the real thing here)
silhouette. rigging.png

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
Great, thanks Daz, thanks for taking the time to post them over there in reference. they will come in very handy.

View attachment 476434
now then, salvaging gun carriages from Revell's gun deck, what a mess he's making of that kit I hear you cry, what will become of it? well Thinking into the future here, after Victory may come, in time, a model of The fighting Temeraire, converting the Revell hull shouldn't be too much of a problem.
View attachment 476435
as I'll be doing a waterline diorama of Will Turners famous painting of her being towed down the Thames to be broken up.
The scene happened - although not quite as Turner painted it. There were two tugs and it was daylight when Turner saw her. But the picture became Turner's lament for the passing of an age. A small, smokey tug (the future), tugging the past - touched by one final sunset - into oblivion.

With Turner on the Thames that day was his friend Ruskin, and Ruskin's words were eloquent indeed.
...this particular ship, crowned in the Trafalgar hour of trial with chief victory, prevailing over the fatal vessel that had given Nelson death, surely, if ever anything without a soul deserved honour or affection, we owed them here.

Those sails that strained so full bent into the battle, that broad bow that struck the surf aside, enlarging silently in steadfast haste, full front to the shot, resistless and without reply, those triple ports whose choirs of flame rang forth in their courses, into the fierce revenging monotone, which, when it died away, left no answering voice to rise any more upon the sea against the strength of England, those sides that were wet with the long runlets of English life-blood, like press-planks at vintage, gleaming goodly crimson down to the cast and clash of the washing foam, those pale masts that stayed themselves up against the war-ruin, shaking out their ensigns through the thunder, till sail and ensign drooped, steep in the death-stilled pause of Andalusian air, burning with its witness-cloud of human souls at rest, surely, for these some sacred care might have been left in our thoughts, some quiet space amidst the lapse of English waters?

Nay, not so. We have stern keepers to trust her glory to; the fire and the worm. Never more shall sunset lay golden robe on her, nor starlight tremble on the waves that part at her gliding. Perhaps, where the low gate opens to some cottage-garden, the tired traveller may ask, idly, why the moss grows so green on its rugged wood; and even the sailor's child may not answer, nor know, that the night-dew lies deep in the war-rents of the wood of the old Téméraire.
Wordsmith

moving along slowly, the anchors in, now I regret using the tan coloured thread, it detracts too much by standing out might swap it out for black, and re do the stays while I'm at it.
View attachment 486633
I hesitate to offer advice on such a great build, but the black ropes were black because they were covered in tar and this was only used on fixed "standing" rigging. Any rigging that had to move would have been in the natural hemp colour. perhaps you could just stain the tan thread to make it a bit darker?

Oyibo

LE
I hesitate to offer advice on such a great build, but the black ropes were black because they were covered in tar and this was only used on fixed "standing" rigging. Any rigging that had to move would have been in the natural hemp colour. perhaps you could just stain the tan thread to make it a bit darker?
Agreed. Some people suggest using tea to stain the untarred ropes. Personally I think a dull grey is nearer the look of worn hemp

thanks Gents, some practical criticism and advice there, much appreciated.
I'll try the grey wash on the anchor cable. The close up image always shows you where you have made mistakes, like that gun port lid on the right, being too high up from the opening. Easy fixs, but annoying all the same.
all gun port lids fitted b.png

Oyibo

LE
I'll try the grey wash on the anchor cable. The close up image always shows you where you have made mistakes, like that gun port lid on the right, being too high up from the opening. Easy fixs, but annoying all the same.
View attachment 486859
For reference, here's one from the HMS Vic:

1593794172941.png

View attachment 486859
Looks bloody great if you ask me

NSP

LE
View attachment 486633
the gun port lids, could be a tedious pain, had I not used masking tape and red and black spray can.
View attachment 486634
the port lids propped in position with a timber brace on the dockside (tooth pick)
View attachment 486635
Little-known fact: gun-ported vessels were known as "pierced hulls," as the ports were cut into the hull after construction.

NSP

LE
Agreed. Some people suggest using tea to stain the untarred ropes. Personally I think a dull grey is nearer the look of worn hemp
Plus the effects of exposure to salt-laden water and wet air also contributed to the grey-white look (and the sun didn't help on those tropical cruises). You've seen that nice blue new polyproylene rope when wondering around fishing harbours, right? And the grey-green older stuff, right? Well, the older stuff looked like the new stuff when it wasn't old and hadn't been soused in brine repeatedly for several years.

thicker line for the anchor cables. Making improvements slowly, next the ratlines from stringy uhu glue.
anchor cable improved.png

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Maybe a grey wash as you say will do the trick on the cables, it'll sink in and show the "grain" of the thread.

Latest Threads