Builds Airfix 1/180 scale HMS Victory

Don't think there's much doubt about it being intended as a commentary on the end of the age of sail and Turner's sadness. Look at the steam tug in full colour (by Turner's standard) . The Temeraire is a ghost already.
I've just checked a couple of things that were in what's left of my memory. Turner made a few changes to the composition of his painting to make it the gloomy masterpiece it is. The tow is going in the wrong direction (or the sun is setting in the east ;)). Ships going to the breakers would have had all their masts removed by the navy before being sold. And 2 tugs were used , not one.
[/QUOTE]
Temeraire would definitely had her sticks removed, prior to her being sold to scrap. She’d been a Prison Hulk, all her masts removed and the upper gun and Quarter decks roofed over.

I've just checked a couple of things that were in what's left of my memory. Turner made a few changes to the composition of his painting to make it the gloomy masterpiece it is. The tow is going in the wrong direction (or the sun is setting in the east ;)). Ships going to the breakers would have had all their masts removed by the navy before being sold. And 2 tugs were used , not one.
Temeraire would definitely had her sticks removed, prior to her being sold to scrap. She’d been a Prison Hulk, all her masts removed and the upper gun and Quarter decks roofed over.
[/QUOTE]
true. but who wants to look at painting of that.

the unmasked bands of black and yellow
black and yellow bands unmasked.png

first lower gundeck guns in
first guns in.png

the Deck supports
deck supports.png

all Starboard side guns run out, view from inside the hull
all guns in lower decks.png

bringing the two hull halves together with the upper deck is a juggling act, you have to have your eyes everywhere checking for fit, the deck is flush, the keel is together. the deck supports are lined up. when it's done, you can just leave it.
just bloody well leave it! and go and do something else. Like.... mow the lawn.
clamping hull sides together.png

4(T)

LE
I'm currently reading Janet Macdonald's excellent biography of General Sir John Moore (mostly extracted from his journals and correspondence, so much fascinating detail of the campaigns he fought in).

HMS Victory pops up about a dozen times in the narrative - the Baltic, Med, West Indies, all over the place. Reminds you that the ship was pretty much at sea and "on ops" for 37 years even before Trafalgar. Heck of an engineering achievement to build a wooden ship durable enough to withstand decades at sea and with the dead weight of those 104 guns + ammo.

5645andym

Clanker
[/QUOTE]

I bought "The Fighting Temeraire: Legend of Trafalgar" by Sam Willis a few years ago. It's a good book with the full history of both the ship and the painting and worth reading if you would like to know the sort of service life a typical ship of the line would have had.

It seems that Turner must have used a lot of artistic license in creating his painting, not only because the moon and Sun are in the wrong parts of the sky, the ship had no masts etc but because he may not even have been in London when Temeraire was brought up the Thames!

Does it matter? I think it is a fantastic painting and captures the spirit of the ship's life and of the end of the age of sail so well . . .

I bought "The Fighting Temeraire: Legend of Trafalgar" by Sam Willis a few years ago. It's a good book with the full history of both the ship and the painting and worth reading if you would like to know the sort of service life a typical ship of the line would have had.

It seems that Turner must have used a lot of artistic license in creating his painting, not only because the moon and Sun are in the wrong parts of the sky, the ship had no masts etc but because he may not even have been in London when Temeraire was brought up the Thames!

Does it matter? I think it is a fantastic painting and captures the spirit of the ship's life and of the end of the age of sail so well . . .
[/QUOTE]
As much as Turners painting is inaccurate, it is one of my all time painting.

[/QUOTE]
Why is the sun in the wrong part of the sky? As I’ve mentioned, the Thames doesn’t flow to the sea in a straight W-E line...

Stand fast the Moon’s relationship...

hull joined and tape removed several hours later, (nice short grass too) the only casualties, two barrels came adrift with the tape, and the top deck had to be re seated slightly midships. Apart from that it worked ok. time for some closed gun lids on the port side.
hull joined tape off.png

Starboard guns
line of mounted guns ext.png

The grey green copper sheathing, light coat of semtex green over slate grey.
grey green hull bottom.png

view down through the quarter deck into the weather deck below.
look down into weather deck.png

Black lids making up what they called the Nelson Chequer.
NELSON CHEQUER.png

Chef

LE
Is semtex green the official colour? Only I don't want to be putting that on a postal form, for some reason.
The purple postman says it'll be fine. Best not to order it in grams though.:)

daz

LE
Is semtex green the official colour? Only I don't want to be putting that on a postal form, for some reason.
Order it online then to be sure, to be sure :)

according to lifecolour, but I only used it to add a green-ish cast to the slate grey of the sea weathered copper sheathing.
semtex green.png

requires the patience and steady hand of a saint, of which I have neither.
french blue details.png

painting window panes, not easy, they have that undescribable colour
stern windows painted.png

Latest Threads