Aircrew Medical

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by ms22267, Apr 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

Can anybody please tell me if AAC aircrew are required to meet the relevant standards of AP1269A as per the Royal Air Force?

Many thanks

2. The Aircrew medical for potential AAC IS conducted at RAF Cranwell, by the RAF, it is current for ALL aviation in the forces!

3. Hi, do all members of potential aircrew have to take this medical i.e rear crew (door gunners/winch operators) aswell?

And if they do , what does the aircrew medical consist of for door gunners?

thanks.

4. You are force-fed Ginsters pasties (simulating raiding the Pilot's nav bag) until you vom. If you can hold down 12, you're in.

Dog Watchers who wish to progress to the best seats in the house, the ones with the windows and sticks and stuff must be able to do the above, along with a 2 litre bottle of Dandelion & Burdock. Inverted.

Very few make the grade.

Fortunately.

5. HAHA very good!

but seriously though, what is in the aircrew medical?

anyone?

6. Not sure what AP1269A relates to but I recently sat the aircrew medical at Cranwell which consisted of a general physical examination by a doctor (ears and throat checked, reflexes, joint flexibility, 'drop and cough' etc..), a hearing test, an eyesight test and anthropometric measurements.

The sheet I was handed afterward stated the weight limit for a pilot in the AAC is 60.4 - 96.7 kg while the RAF is 56.8 - 94kg. Functional reach is 740mm for AAC and 720 for RAF. Sitting height is 865 - 1005mm for the AAC and 865 - 990mm for the RAF. For both the AAC and RAF buttock - knee range is 560 - 660mm and buttock heel is 1000 - 1200mm.

I'm not sure what the difference is between eyesight requirements but I think the RAF is more strict with its criteria.

It's worth pointing out that I fell within the range of all of the tests but was later sent a letter saying I need to get my BMI down from 27 to 25 so that is obviously also a factor.

Hope this answers your question!

7. yeah it did thanks..

so there was no lung checks? or an xrays done?

thanks againalso how did the doc check your throat?

8. soopaman - your questions make it sound like you are trying to hide something from the doc. You do know you sign a release so your medical docs can be seen as well don't you? It isn't worth hiding something as it could cause you trouble later.

9. Nothing wrong with me............Look

Attached Files:

10. On the subject of Aircrew medical, ive been looking into the AAC and the RAF, looks great and all that but.... I wear orthopeadic insoles due to fallen arches on my feet (flat feet). Does this mean i would fail a medical?

11. He is clearly a lynx pilot!!! He is begging for pies!!! :D

12. no, im not hidning anything, i just like to know what im going in for before i do it. (that is if i get the chance to even sit the aircrew medical)

I have always been fit and healthy mate, i just like to know exactly what is going to happen before it happens. if that makes sense?

thanks again :)

13. Hi guys, does anybody know whether having a left varicocele which causing no pain or problems, will fail an aircrew medical, according to ACP1269A?

14. Lower weight limit it more than the crabs
    AAC has slightly different anthro measurements
    Eyesight doesn't have to be 6/6 uncorrected

Ref Varicocele - don't think it will be an issue. If you're worried, get someone to contact Av Med at Middle Wallop and they should be able to help before you start applying.

15. Not in the SAR fleet.