Aircraft parachute system.

C

cloudbuster

Under what set of circumstance would you need to deploy a parachute from a helicopter? Most of my flying (albeit some 20 years ago) was done at low level, and a good deal of it below 120 knots. Hardly suitable parameters. I would wager. In the event of a donk-stop, it'll autorotate nicely. Even in a Lynx. Ish.

There is a light aircraft called the Cirrus which has a 'ballistic recovery system', which has been used in anger a couple of times. From what I can gather, the pilots had got into difficulties in cloud and used the parachute to get themselves out of situations for which they had insufficient training. In the event of an engine failure in a fixed-wing, it would glide. In the event of a fire, deploying a parachute is only going to prolong the agony.

cloudbuster said:
Under what set of circumstance would you need to deploy a parachute from a helicopter? Most of my flying (albeit some 20 years ago) was done at low level, and a good deal of it below 120 knots. Hardly suitable parameters. I would wager. In the event of a donk-stop, it'll autorotate nicely. Even in a Lynx. Ish.
Fair one. How about a air bag? A big hovercraft style mattress, to crash down on. Filled with CO2, might even help put out fires.

C

cloudbuster

Just bear in mind that whatever you add to the airframe has to be subtracted from what you can lift, be it troops, nosh, Herfy etc.

chocolate_frog said:
We'll just whack bigger blades on it :p

.....need bigger engines then. And transmission.....oh and a bigger fuel tank then.......then a bigger fuselage because the tail will need to be farther back.... :wink:

Coming back to light aircraft it does seem to make more sense to stay in the aircraft and land under one parachute rather than to all try to get out wearing individual ones. Probably weighs less too.

C

cloudbuster

I doubt if many light aircraft occupants wear parachutes, (unless they're planning to jump out) EX_STAB, so staying with the cab is their only option.

It's a good idea for light aircraft but it is also an expensive and fairly hefty bit of kit. As cloud suggests, even on a light aircraft, the extra weight will have its own penalty plus the mods required to install the system doesnt suit every type.

Anyway, I can't see the point to light aircraft? Bloody things.

cloudbuster said:
I doubt if many light aircraft occupants wear parachutes, (unless they're planning to jump out) EX_STAB, so staying with the cab is their only option.
I suspect you're right. The only light aircraft I've ever flown in were Chipmunks and we always wore parachutes. I suppose that colours my opinion somewhat.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
chocolate_frog said:

.....need bigger engines then. And transmission.....oh and a bigger fuel tank then.......then a bigger fuselage because the tail will need to be farther back.... :wink:
Then it would be a man's helicopter and it would have to be handed to the RAF and Fleshy would only be allowed to press his nose against the window. From the outside.

Mr_C_Hinecap said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
chocolate_frog said:

Then it would be a man's helicopter and it would have to be handed to the RAF and Fleshy would only be allowed to press his nose against the window. From the outside.
Only if it had no weapons fitted to it of course. We let the crabs drive the buses and allow Sgt pilots to fly aircraft with weapon systems. ;)

Fugly

LE
DirtyBAT
I think the point Flash is trying to make, is that the crab rotary types are unable to handle any weapon system that involves a bit more than simply going "Oi, fucknuts - shoot at that down there"

I wonder if they'd be of any use on some of the old WW2 fighter aircraft.

They've discarded enough weight in armour, weapons, and valve radios that the weight of a parachute wouldn't be significant and they are irreplaceable.

Against that there's the risk of accidental deployment and the fact that many accidents start at low level where a parachute wouldn't be of any use.

I think the problem would be trying to retro fir the system to the aircraft. It needs to be 'bolted' to the strongpoints of the aircraft effectively enough to be able to firstly support it and secondly, not to totally rip the cab apart when deployed. Its all well and good fitting it to a small, light weight aircraft that has a max speed of 120 knots but if you start trying to put the system on a heavier, higher perfromance aircaft, it in itself becomes a hazard if it wont work at higher speeds.

What are you trying to acheive from the system? In most circumstances, it will be safer to glide to the ground. In the rare occasions of a wing falling off, carry a normal parachute if youre that concerned.

I'd hate to think of lots of puddle jumpers knocking around the skies with the system. You'll just get lots of scared civpop pulling the chute when they either run out of experience or cant be arsed to make a proper landing.

cloudbuster said:
Under what set of circumstance would you need to deploy a parachute from a helicopter? /quote]

You may wish to speak to the test pilot and crew who escaped, using parachutes, from an early Merlin crash. One of them got out just in time; a still rotating MRB dug in just behind his head.

bakersfield said:
cloudbuster said:
Under what set of circumstance would you need to deploy a parachute from a helicopter?

You may wish to speak to the test pilot and crew who escaped, using parachutes, from an early Merlin crash. One of them got out just in time; a still rotating MRB dug in just behind his head.

Testing is an entirely different thing. They dont always wear them, usually only when they are either operating above 10k or going outside the aircraft envelope (which will be at least at a suitable height to make an effective bail if it goes pete tong).

'Normal' operation in a military helicopter is not compatable with using a parachute. I'd rather have an aircraft I can crash properly than have a bedsheet strapped to my back thank you very much.

Latest Threads