Aircraft over Edinburgh?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by daviroo, Mar 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Something flew over Edinburgh between 8pm and 8:30pm tonight (Mon 31). I was driving down to the gym with the radio playing pretty loud and the windows closed. We started to hear the sound of a jet engine which got louder and louder until I was sure the thing was right above us, but the only thing is, I could see the whole sky and there was absolutely nothing there. My mum also heard it while in our house and she said it was so loud that she thought it was going to crash into our house and that people were screaming outside. My sister also heard it and she was in a bar up town with loud music playing (she thought it was thunder).

So just to recap it was heard by 3 seperate people scattered over an entire city, it was so loud that people could hear it indoors over loud music, it sounded low enough to scare people and it was nowhere to be seen. Does anyone here have any idea what it could have been? My theory is it was an RAF jet flying over very high, so it could be heard over a large area, and very fast, so by the time people heard the sound it had already gone, does this sound right to you? Or are the Americans testing out some new cloaking technology?

2. Doh, silly it was just the aliens coming for their deep fried marsbars!

3. Sonic boom perhaps?

4. PS clearly you wil be getting visited by the men in black having discovered that the Americans are conducting their secret cloaking technology tests over a highly populated area of a foreign nation rather than the vast barren wastelands like the Nevada Desert.

5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Confirm that mate. It was very loud and sounded like it may have circled. I live right in the city centre and it seemed to be right above my house.

Couldn't see a thing though.

6. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Ah. Cheers Archi. Possibly not visible from my window then.

Wish I'd seen that now.

7. After doing some research I found out it was indeed RAF aircraft. One of the posters on this site claims that it was a "tornado or typhoon with its afterburners on". Any idea where they were going in such a hurry then?

----edit-----

If it was an RAF fly past it is a shame that it wasn't better promoted as I would have loved to have seen that also.

8. So its offical Scotland now has planes!!!!

Stilts

9. How the fcuk did I miss that?I'm about 10 mins from the castle and heard it too.

10. Well the USAF had no way of really knowing whether the invisibility cloaking systems they were working on at Dreamland really worked as there is no one in The Box to see anything anyway. Besides the pilots were tired of circling Groom Lake. The whole Area 51 region is a bit boring.

They had to do tests over populated areas. I understand that the boom operators on the KC-135's had a bitch of a time geting the boom to an invisible plane. Sometimes the super stealth technology creates problems of it's own.

If it happens again look well ahead of the sound as the craft is hypersonic. If the light is right you might see a dim saucer shaped craft. Then again, you might not.

11. Stand by: the Men In Black will soon be along to take you to a wonderful vacation in Area 51...

I live in God's City as well mate. At 2030hrs I was reading, no tv on. Did'nt hear anything.

There have been a couple of planes overhead tonight, but nothing unusual.

12. And cheaper priscriptions! :twisted:

13. 90th anniversery of the formation of the Crabs on April fool's day 1918

But looks as if they managed to get the day wrong