Aircraft Diversion...??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Santa_Sunday, Jul 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On another point, how long before an aircraft servicing either Iraq of Afghanistan gets diverted to pick up these whinging, tax-dodging spongers in Lebanon….??

Just a thought….
  2. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Would these be the whinging, tax-dodging spongers who have been clearing anti-personnel mines, unexploded ordnance and improvised explosive devices in Lebanon for at least the last six years?

And what is it you do again?
  3. Touche

4. To be fair I don't believe it was any of them that have been whinging. I heard a young woman on the radio this morning saying "I only came to relax on a beach holiday and I now have to leave after a week...." What a whinging selfish ****!
  5. How many de-miners (top blokes one and all!) are there in Lebanon? Not 10,000 or so (approximate number of Brit passport holders in the country).

It is a fair comment though: I have not paid UK taxes for some time, but would still expect some help from HMG if I was in the brown stuff somewhere and unable to get out of it myself.

I was particularly irked by a scouse witch quoted in the Torygraph this morning:

"It's been disgusting, the way we have been treated," she said, her voice firm but not quite loud enough to wake her 13-month-old son, Ouni, asleep on her shoulder.

So she has a job and local contacts. Why could she (and the majority of people in Lebanon who hold Brit passports) simply get in a taxi or on a train and make their way into Syria and then catch a plane home? Or they could have driven up the coast and caught a ferry from a Syrian port. As for her being a Brit taxpayer: I think she is stretching the truth to breaking point - should someone grass her up? :)

PS: If she was getting hysterical, why did no-one give the stuck-up bitch a good slap with an entrenching tool?
  6. No it's not, but I think we can guess what line of work you're in. They're paid handsomely for what they do and should know the risks they face. I don’t suppose for one minute they do it for the love of it, though they may enjoy their job. What they do is brave and I wouldn’t want to do it, regardless of the pay packet, but I am on about those who see places like this as a chance to make big money in as short a period of time as possible then drip like f**k when they are in danger…… Let them find their own way back, or at least pay for it and show some gratitude. Norman Kember anyone………??

It’s all about location, isn’t it..??. Dodgy location + high risk = big tax free bucks. By the way, were they sent there against their will..?? Didn’t think so.

What has my occupation got to do with it by the way…?? Though being on this site may give you the tiniest of hints..??
  7. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

No, not involved in demining in Lebanon or anywhere else for that matter. Know a few of them though, and it is not the megabucks you all seem to think it is. Just making a point about a balanced view! Most of the expats on megabucks will pay tax if they have an offshore account in the IoM or Channel Islands (15% minimum of everything). new EU rules to cut down on money laundering and tax evasion.
  8. if you hold a British passport I think its reasonable to expect when the brown stuff hits the fan that bettys employees come to the rescue.
    I know the FO considers British passport holders and the british goverments views inconvientant at the best of times.
    until recently beriut was being hyped as the new holiday destination
  9. DPM

DPM Old-Salt

The Imperial IoM and Channel Island Navy won't mind picking them up then :wink:

15% - Can I be paid offshore while overseas?

10. Thats strange, are you also a director of an accountancy company with a 16 Billion GBP turnover? How come I don't know you? Do you sit next to me on board meetings?

I think about 20-40% of the members of this site are currently serving (statistic made up on the spot), many of the remainder are, like myself. former soldiers and a significant percentage people who are interested in HMF.
  11. I think you need to get your map out. This is Beirut not the Cayman Islands, Monte Carlo or Saudi. Nice enough city that it is, it is not an offshore tax haven. There is also no oil industry to speak of so no expat tax free oil community. Most of the evacuees are holiday makers and people who are visiting friends and family (strangely enough there is quite a large Lebanese diaspora). If you're looking for an offshore tax haven, you want a politically stable country that is not likely to be bombed at the drop of a hat by its nearest neighbour.