Airbus -v- Boeing II: Farnbrough Week

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Jul 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couldn't find the previous thread so started a new one. Anyway, lots of orders likely to be announced over the next week, but the outlook for the UK Airbus workers looking a bit cloudy - here's a sysnopsis:
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I'm not sure why EADS are demanding "that the UK government allow it to compete against BAE for a greater share of UK defence and aerospace contracts." The govt should allow them to bid for as much business as the British defence industry wins in France.
  3. I used to work for EADS, it sells itself as an Anglo-Franco-German-Spanish venture but all senior management that are not French are French sycophants!! And the only reason that they have workers in the UK now is due to the large contracts that they have with the MoD!! EADS (mainly due to poor management, stiff competition from Boeing and overdue projects) are in trouble despite £1.6bn profit last year and they are threatening UK jobs in an attempt to threaten the UK Govt (See:pushover) into offering them an olive branch!!

Just goes to show that the UK Defence industry is recognised as a cash cow to large corporations!
  4. Bouillabaisse

It's also not like they're being deliberately excluded. Anyone can bid and, in theory, win. The problem is they're so used to the French method of contract awards they think its a conspiracy against them.

And the UK defence industry is THE game to play if you're a defence company. Its the one place where there really is an equal chance of winning. Well worth the effort if your own domestic market's weak.
  5. good link . The video report to the right was interesting. The on camera reporter did try and explain the various market assumption of each company ,noted that the UK had the second largest aircraft industry . The reporter interviewed some official that mention that a tax of 37 quid was going to be placed on low cost air carriers( Boeing's market) to encourage people to use a larger Airplane. What !

Did I hear that correctly ?

This is the newsletter from Richard Aboulafia of the Teal Group . He was very hard on Airbuses decision to build the A380 but he seems hard on others as well

meanwhile He has good advice for both AirBus an Boeing

7. Sorry mate, utter bollox, i know of one defence agency that consistently put in bids that were more beneficial to the MoD than those of their competitors, yet still BAeS won the contracts, and then subcontracted that work to the loser. So basically the MoD paid out more than they would have, for the same work but with the pencil dicks at BAeS getting a nice big payout for doing fu&k all.
    Am I bitter? yes i f*cking well am. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Rant Out
  8. rockhoppercrab

Speaking of British WasteofSpace getting overvalued contracts on which they subsequently perform very badly, this story's sure to warm the cockles of Warrior-Poet's heart:

Quite why an SNP MP is so keen for his constituency to host a UK military base escapes me...shoorly shome contradiction?
  9. Bouillabaisse

I'm not saying defence procurement is perfect but my point is that EADS shouldn't be trying to trade jobs for contracts in this way with MOD. What do you want? The best bit of kit the MOD can afford for what little money it has or the EADS kit whether its any good or not so that BAE workers keep their jobs?
  10. I have just watched the Airbus display at Farnborough of the A340 and A380.
    I have to say I'm very impressed by the A380, seems to be a very agile (for its size) aircraft and it wouldn't suprise me to see a military version roll off due to the nature of the underbody!

I hope it works for them!

11. They also have 43 A380 on order who are these Guys The whole population of the UAE must leave every other day than come back home.
  12. "Angus Robertson said: "Clearly there have been issues with the project procurement and development, however they do not diminish the strategic requirement for Nimrod or the fact that RAF Kinloss and its personnel are best placed to receive the new aircraft." "

The strategic requirement to keep at least one job in Kinloss - i.e. the local MP's