Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Airbus and Berlin offer Eurofighter to Swiss

Hot on the heels of the offering to Luftwaffe and back to the Swiss fighter competition...

Swiss northern neighbours and Airbus themselves submitted their official offer to the Swiss Federal Office of Armaments (armasuisse)for the sale of the Typhoon to Switzerland.

B3FEE370-A5DA-40FB-8B7C-37DBCD139E65.jpeg

The offer has been prepared in cooperation with the other Eurofighter nations as well as the industrial partners Leonardo and BAE Systems, and meets the requirements of the so called new combat aircraft (Neues Kampfflugzeug - NKF) procurement process implemented by Switzerland to replace its currently used F-5 and F/A-18 fleet.

The others in the mix Are the Lockheed Martin F-35A, Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and Dassault Rafale

cheers

Apologies if already posted, but I thought that this might be interesting in terms of the Swiss AF preparing for 24/7 QRA Ops:

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That is a great photo and would make a brilliant jigsaw puzzle.

Something to do in lockdown.

Hippohunter

War Hero
No, the Austrians made a huge mistake taking the Typhoon. They had a similar requirement to the Hungarians and Czechs that took the Gripen. Switzerland can buy 2 Gripen for a single Typhoon and the operating costs are 1/4 of that of the Typhoon.

No, the Austrians made a huge mistake taking the Typhoon. They had a similar requirement to the Hungarians and Czechs that took the Gripen. Switzerland can buy 2 Gripen for a single Typhoon and the operating costs are 1/4 of that of the Typhoon.
I know that the Swiss rejected the Gripen ( as well as all other new Fighters ) in a referendum about 7 or 8 years ago, but is it not up for consideration this time around? I'd think that it was a perfect fit for the Swiss AF.

Weren't there suggestions of brown envelopes and used notes being involved in the decision-making process?

Hippohunter

War Hero
I know that the Swiss rejected the Gripen ( as well as all other new Fighters ) in a referendum about 7 or 8 years ago, but is it not up for consideration this time around? I'd think that it was a perfect fit for the Swiss AF.
Absolutely correct, and given the Gripen was ideal for the Swiss what other factors came into play for it to be rejected?

I thought that the Swiss wanted something a bit more 'punchy?'

Weren't there suggestions of brown envelopes and used notes being involved in the decision-making process?
yep, my buddies who fly helos in their Bundesheer chuckle to themselves about the decision ..saying it’s the Typhoon Disaster/Fiasco/Farce .....

Delivery was late hence why laughingly talk aboUt Swiss, the Bundesheer ended up leasing several F-5E Tiger IIs from their neighbors, as stop gap between the Draken and Typhoon.

cheers

Gripen was aimed at replacing the remaining couple of dozen F-5E Tiger II, of which the remaining numbers are with the Patrouille de Suisee (my photo of them prsctising at day before the Austrian AirPower 2019 in my other neck of the woods).

2D35D01C-2F42-454F-ABCC-4708C1B538C8.jpeg

And tthe two seat F-5F plus normal F-5E in last unit or two.

Plus the USA were looking back to buy them back (probably for adversary role).

cheers

Hippohunter

War Hero
yep, my buddies who fly helos in their Bundesheer chuckle to themselves about the decision ..saying it’s the Typhoon Disaster/Fiasco/Farce .....

Delivery was late hence why laughingly talk aboUt Swiss, the Bundesheer ended up leasing several F-5E Tiger IIs from their neighbors, as stop gap between the Draken and Typhoon.

cheers
I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with some Austrian Typhoon pilots and engineers at the Leauchars Air Show in 2013. Due to horrendous operating costs the actual flying is kept to a minimum just to maintain currency far less progression. The amount of pilots kept current is also kept to the bare minimum.
Yes simulators are good training AIDS but can only go so far.
All round they agreed the Typhoon was a big expensive mistake, not readily solved.