Airbus A400-M has taken off on maiden flight

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by fairycakes, Dec 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Airbus A400-M has taken off on its long-awaited maiden flight in Spain.

British test pilot Ed Strongman and the crew wore parachutes to power up the plane dubbed "grizzly" by test engineers after its burly appearance.

Video link.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8407825.stm?ls

2. It's a big old unit! Could they have got the spoiler any higher?? ;)

3. Considering its a turkey - it flies well.

4. Excellent. When do deliveries start?

5. looks like a b'stard child of a herc and a casa 121

Fuselage could do with lengthening to get a useful payload, or is that the plan?
    Once HMG stump up enough to but a few, EADS suddenly find 'the new and improved version' and UK get shafted again

6. It's nearly rivaling Lynx Wildcat for ugliness. Could they possibly make that tailplane any higher? Anyone know why they had to make it high enough to take out satellites in low orbit?

7. It's nearly rivaling Lynx Wildcat for ugliness. Could they possibly make that tailplane any higher? Anyone know why they had to make it high enough to take out satellites in low orbit?

8. Im sure there is an aerodynamic reason to have the tail that big, C17 has a tall "T" shaped tail as well. :roll:

9. Just a guess, but at high angle of attack, the tailplane would be in the propwash, giving greater control at low airspeeds.

OTOH, the brains at Airbus might just as well have been playing Pin The Tail On The Donkey on the day they designed the back-end.

10. Well I hope it turns out to be a Great Success.
    But to be honest I am left wondering just what long distance wars are being planned for, The Future Very Small British Armed Forces.
    No matter who wins the next election the Defence Budget will be slashed, the days of present Luxurious spending will soon be gone.
    john
    Now I remembers the Belfast, 2 Sioux and 2 Scouts on trip back from Cyprus.

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

A C17 with propellers, but smaller. 'kin genius.