Paint & Tools Airbrush Sticky

The one with the trough at the bottom will use all the paint in the cup, while the one with the hole in the side wall won’t.
If there’s any sediment the trough will collect it and feed it into the nozzle, while the side hole might be less susceptible to that.

Slime

LE
The one with the trough at the bottom will use all the paint in the cup, while the one with the hole in the side wall won’t.
If there’s any sediment the trough will collect it and feed it into the nozzle, while the side hole might be less susceptible to that.

Both holes are at the bottom.

Slime

LE
How are the seals looking? I only ever use acrylics so enamel solvents are scary harsh to me.

Other than that I’ve managed to get paint all around the brush but that was mostly due to too low an air pressure letting it dribble off the nozzle behind the protective cover.

Apologies for a late reply.
All of the seals are fine except the needle guide seal.

I’ve ordered some teflon seals as they are more resistant to thinners.

Ive also ordered a tool kit so I can disassemble the brushes with the smaller needle guides.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
This is the brush that had the issue.
Does it look like a copy of a specific high model of brush. If it does I could buy the seals for the branded brush.

View attachment 615295

We are talking about item 12 in this pic arent we?
It might have disintegrated, or I could have accidentally thrown it earlier when I ditched the white spirits I had used to soak the guide in.

View attachment 615298

This is the guide. It doesn’t have a seal in it, as per above, it could have melted, or I might have thrown it out accidentally. The white spirits I soaked everything in turned white due to all the white enamel paint that filled the brush. if the seal was white I could have easily missed it.
Meanwhile, I’ve ordered some new teflon guide seals.

View attachment 615300
While it might be a very close copy of a good one, I would wonder about the manufacturing tolerances, that might make a world of difference when fitting seals

Slime

LE
While it might be a very close copy of a good one, I would wonder about the manufacturing tolerances, that might make a world of difference when fitting seals

It’s always worth remembering ‘there is no such thing as a perfect thread’*, hence seals being needed. :)

Very few things are made to a very fine tolerance. :)
The internal and externally fitted O rings shouldn’t be an issue, with only the external diameter of the needle guide packing bush needing to be a set size.

*A phrase well used in plumbing and pipework.

Evening all. With Christmas coming, I've got a chance to upgrade my airbrush. I've been using a H&S Eclipse and while generally fine, it can be a bit temperamental (although probably 90% of this is operator error). Looking through here Iwata seems the way to go and I am considering an Eclipse HP CS. There seem to be a few other Iwata's around this price, but this would seem to be the most popular. Would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions.

Dads203

Old-Salt
Evening all. With Christmas coming, I've got a chance to upgrade my airbrush. I've been using a H&S Eclipse and while generally fine, it can be a bit temperamental (although probably 90% of this is operator error). Looking through here Iwata seems the way to go and I am considering an Eclipse HP CS. There seem to be a few other Iwata's around this price, but this would seem to be the most popular. Would appreciate any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions.
Iwata all the way, H&S have consistently issues is what I have found, look great and when they work are great but just not consistent.
Look at the Mr Hobby Procon range as a cheaper alternative , they are very close to Iwata and some parts are interchangeable so they are possibly made at the same factory . Quality and reliability are on par but they are considerably cheaper.
My daily driver is an Iwata but my detail brush is a Procon, the more I use the Procon the more impressed I am with it.
I have two Iwata brushes, the TR-1 with a 0.3 needle and the top of the range very expensive CMC with a 0.23 needle. Both are of the highest quality and work reliably all the time. The CMC is finicky though with paint types though so I have shied away from using it.

I have a Mr Hobby Procon Boy platinum with a 0.2 needle and it’s amazing for close in detail work, you can get the same brush with a 0.3 needle and I would recommend it very highly for general modelling work. Spares are so much cheaper than Iwata which is a big bonus.

Last edited:
Iwata all the way, H&S have consistently issues is what I have found, look great and when they work are great but just not consistent.
Look at the Mr Hobby Procon range as a cheaper alternative , they are very close to Iwata and some parts are interchangeable so they are possibly made at the same factory . Quality and reliability are on par but they are considerably cheaper.
My daily driver is an Iwata but my detail brush is a Procon, the more I use the Procon the more impressed I am with it.

Excellent, thanks Dads.

Dads203

Old-Salt
Excellent, thanks Dads.
Stay away from the Iwata Neo range, these are just branded and not the genuine Iwata brushes, they are made by a company called Sparmax of Korea. These are well priced but not reliable as either Procon or Iwata :-(

Slime

LE
Stay away from the Iwata Neo range, these are just branded and not the genuine Iwata brushes, they are made by a company called Sparmax of Korea. These are well priced but not reliable as either Procon or Iwata :-(

I was reading a detailed thread recently that said most Japanese brushes are made by one company, including Iwata brushes, but have forgotten the company name.

Dads203

Old-Salt
I was reading a detailed thread recently that said most Japanese brushes are made by one company, including Iwata brushes, but have forgotten the company name.

Possibly Richpen (SP) , Iwata are more famous for Spray Guns for the automotive industry - that is their main bread and butter so the Airbrush side is not the main part. I think they had an agreement early on to brand some of the Richpen brushes or the use the designs of which they ultimately bought?
The Mr Hobby range I think also falls under a similar agreement with Iwata, the designs are so close to a proper branded Iwata it’s spooky.

This little beauty arrived yesterday. Just started having a play and what a world of difference. Even with my limited experience it just feels right and has brought a big grin to my face. Thanks again for the comments and this thread.

Attachments

• 20211205_131436.jpg
    20211205_131436.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 18

QRK2

LE
This little beauty arrived yesterday. Just started having a play and what a world of difference. Even with my limited experience it just feels right and has brought a big grin to my face. Thanks again for the comments and this thread.

I had an an identical delivery today. Do you have any tips from the last month?

I had an an identical delivery today. Do you have any tips from the last month?
Only been spray painting for a short time with a Harder and Steenbeck previously. Problems with splatter and paint just not flowing well. The Iwata is just lovely by comparison. Paint flows well, the big built in cup is great for mixing and easy cleaning and it just feels right. No particular quirks I've found, but it is a little more fiddly to take apart, but that's a small price to pay. You'll love it.

Dads203

Old-Salt
Top tip, get the Iwata nozzle spanner.

Much better than the supplied item and should save you stripping the threads.
Just check that it’s compatible though, some Iwata brushes have a slightly different nozzle.

Just checked and it’s not applicable:-( it would be used for other Iwata brushes to remove part 4.

1642160708185.jpeg