Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paint & Tools Airbrush Sticky

this is an excellent page, just in time for me as well, my compressor finally packed up after thirty years service and quite a few models to it's credit.
thanks for the advice Gents really helpful.

ches

LE
this is an excellent page, just in time for me as well, my compressor finally packed up after thirty years service and quite a few models to it's credit.
thanks for the advice Gents really helpful.

Fcuk a womble, the speed you knock models out I'm surprised the poor fookin compressor didn't kark it after 30 days never mind 30 years.

Fcuk a womble, the speed you knock models out I'm surprised the poor fookin compressor didn't kark it after 30 days never mind 30 years.

the old gal has served me well.
compressor finally bites the dust.jpg

a brand new one on order from Amazon. with some cleaning kit for it, can't wait, an early Christmas pres for myself.

Daz

LE
the old gal has served me well.
View attachment 527541
a brand new one on order from Amazon. with some cleaning kit for it, can't wait, an early Christmas pres for myself.
Prior use of a cleaning kit might of prolong the service life of that one..........Nice weathering on it BTW :)

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
Very informative sticky so thanks in advance. Currently looking on Amazon for a basic beginners airbrush kit so I can hopefully do the 1:24 spit some justice.

Daz

LE
Very informative sticky so thanks in advance. Currently looking on Amazon for a basic beginners airbrush kit so I can hopefully do the 1:24 spit some justice.
Thats going to depend on your budget

Daz

LE
In all honesty, I don't want to spend anymore than a ton.

As I'm still very much a beginner this is more for me to learn on as opposed to going straight in at expert level.
AS186 Compressor & airbrush, either brought on their own or as part of a kit, you should get in under your budget, this one comes in under the ton mark, ABEST Complete Professional Airbrush Compressor Kit with Air Tank for Nails Tattoo Nail Art With Dual Action AirBrush Spray Gun for craftwork, cosmetics, tanning, hobbies, models, airbrushing, painting, cake decorating, customised clothing: Amazon.co.uk: Toys & Games

Daz

LE

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Ps, if buying as a kit, make sure that the airbrush is a top loader - the one I purchased ages ago, was this version

Airbrush Kit AS186 AS 186 with Compressor with Tank with 2 x Double Action Airbrushes and Hose: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Note the kit supplied airbrushes, the side loader was ok, the bottom feeder is....well, a bit shit

View attachment 533138
I have one of these sets and haven’t got round to using it in anger yet - partly because the bottom feeder’s trigger is sticky.

Any advice on lubrication?

Dads203

Old-Salt
I have one of these sets and haven’t got round to using it in anger yet - partly because the bottom feeder’s trigger is sticky.

Strip down the air valve and clean up the gunk on the shaft, 5 min job and dead easy to do. I would pop some Iwata Super lube on the seal, don’t use mineral oils as these will contaminate any paint you spray.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Strip down the air valve and clean up the gunk on the shaft, 5 min job and dead easy to do. I would pop some Iwata Super lube on the seal, don’t use mineral oils as these will contaminate any paint you spray.
Ordered the lube, I’ll see how it goes - thanks!

Daz

LE

My advice would be to pick up a cheap top loader to practise with ......also cleaning it up does help a tad as mentioned by @Dads203 you could also try easy off the needle as sometimes they are jammed a bit to far forward

ches

LE
Don't get too hung up on always stripping it down to clean it after every job, esp if you're using the cheaper airbrushes. I used to give mine a full strip down & clean only after a big job - spraying a 1/35 tank for example. If doing smaller jobs, i'd push a cpl of cup fulls of airbrush thinner/cleaner through the brush at decent PSI then follow that with water. Always do it immediately after the job is done to avoid the paint drying & clogging up. As long as the action feels smooth the brush should be good to go next job. I don't have a sonic cleaner so I was old school, cleaner, brush, cloths etc.

Daz

LE
Don't get too hung up on always stripping it down to clean it after every job, esp if you're using the cheaper airbrushes. I used to give mine a full strip down & clean only after a big job - spraying a 1/35 tank for example. If doing smaller jobs, i'd push a cpl of cup fulls of airbrush thinner/cleaner through the brush at decent PSI then follow that with water. Always do it immediately after the job is done to avoid the paint drying & clogging up. As long as the action feels smooth the brush should be good to go next job. I don't have a sonic cleaner so I was old school, cleaner, brush, cloths etc.
I hot wash mine from time to time - hot tap running on bloody hot, air pressure to max and blast away with the needle out, not recommended by anyone with any sense, but if boil washing works for Lee Metfords, its works for me :)

Slime

LE
Apologies for a late reply to the initial post, but as rattle cans were mentioned...........
While rattle cans are only useful for larger builds they can be bought in any colour you want.
The colour cans from places like Halfords are basically cheap rubbish, and the ‘car colours’ are often a poor match. They also have basic spray heads that just spray in a cone shape.

An auto paint supplier can supply various types of primer, lacquer or paint in any colour or finish by using Pantone, manufacturer or RAL codes.
They can also have a spray cap to suit the pattern you want, or a cap with a lever to adjust the paint flow speed.

Rattle can paint can also be used in an airbrush, or with a brush. Simply invert the can, spray out all of the propellant, cut open the can and pour the neat paint into a suitable storage jar. There are videos on Youtube showing people do this. As a 500ml can might only cost £12 it’s an economical way to buy paint as long as the colour is suitable :)

Edited to add.
Rattle can spray caps come in male and female fitment. Many are colour coded to denote spray pattern or spray pattern size.
A Halfords or other can with a basic cone shaped spray can be vastly improved by fitting a more suitable cap for the job you are doing.

Latest Threads