Airborne versus non.

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by sawdusty, Nov 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip Wire sorta brought this up in another thread. Rather than continue with it there, I thought I would ask it here. Are Airborne soldiers somehow "better" than non-Airborne soldiers?

In my personal experience, I'd have to say no. Of course, I'm not Airborne. The closest I've come was service in the 101st (ironically :D ) Airborne Division, an "Air Assault" unit.

edited for poor spelling skills

2. Sawdusty - is a soldier a soldeir and do not both have the same training?

Airborne training doesn't make a man or a woman a better soldier, it gives them the capability of being air-dropped into, onto or near to the battlefield.

Are they superior to the 'normal' infantryman - no, because that personal edge is up to each and every soldier to have in himself!

3. Anyone who would jump out of an aircraft is a different, more motivated perhaps, more confident than the average troop. If there is a tough job to do it falls to the Paras. If its really hopeless the Marines are sent in.

4. Marines, from both nations, are often considered to be somewhat elite. Yet the lack of Airborne training or status doesn't seem to matter. :?

5. Wah!

6. Feel better now?

7. No better, no worse!

8. Well, I'm quite impressed with you, young man. You're a fine spirited lad with gleaming muscles. I'd eat you right up if I could...

9. [​IMG]

It'll be a tough contest, she looks well 'ard!