• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Airborne Sniffer Dog

We had Para-Dogs during WW2 - one of them is buried with his 19 year-old handler (Pte Emil 'Jack' Corteil, 9 Para) in Ranville. According to one of Pte Corteil's comrades, the dog, Glen, loved to jump and was always at the front of the stick (I'd always assumed they were strapped to the handler as in this picture, but not so, according to this account). However, on D-Day, Glen was terrified by the flak coming up and froze in the doorway, forcing the Paras to shove him bodily out of the aircraft!

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Do you think he calls the other sniffer dogs "hats" and bangs on about his Para Pay alot
Bet he walks with his front paw turned forward so he can show everyone his wings

Someone will be along in a minute to remind us no British Airborne Dog has jumped Operationally since Suez

the_boy_syrup said:
Do you think he calls the other sniffer dogs "hats" and bangs on about his Para Pay alot
Bet he walks with his front paw turned forward so he can show everyone his wings

Someone will be along in a minute to remind us no British Airborne Dog has jumped Operationally since Suez
:D

He probably wears a scrim lead and his fur has woolen cuffs at the paw too.

I'd be willing to bet if you look close enough he'll have an airbourne tattoo.

Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

I bet 3 Para Mortars have a poodle or one of those little yappy things with a DZ flash coloured ribbon on top of it's head

Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.

B

Bottleosmoke

mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
With his bitch who also has a tattoo or two!

mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
There's been a few dogs in the Traf,none of them had Airbourne tats though :) :)

jarrod248 said:
Forastero said:
I'll bet tropper has jumped with two dogs.
Partly correct they could jump but first he learnt them to fly and after that they thought themselves above it.
I thought he was so old & blind that the only way he could tell to adopt a PLF position was that the dogs' leads had gone slack?

B

Bottleosmoke

Gungythree said:
mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
There's been a few dogs in the Traf,none of them had Airbourne tats though :) :)
Now that isnt true at all really.

Bottleosmoke said:
Gungythree said:
mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
None had Airbourne,although some had Airborne :)

Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

You say that like its a bad thing!

B

Bottleosmoke

Gungythree said:
Bottleosmoke said:
Gungythree said:
mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
None had Airbourne,although some had Airborne :)
Oh I see, my apologies. RTFQ BoS!

Gungythree said:
mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
You didn't tell me you'd got a dictionary for Christmas. :)

mistersoft said:
Gungythree said:
mistersoft said:
Closet_Jibber said:
the_boy_syrup said:

And drinks at the Traf.
You didn't tell me you'd got a dictionary for Christmas. :)
Well,I know how to spell Traf,that's a good start,I'll look for bigger words next week :)

Feck, my brain hurts now

Signalman said:
We had Para-Dogs during WW2 - one of them is buried with his 19 year-old handler (Pte Emil 'Jack' Corteil, 9 Para) in Ranville. According to one of Pte Corteil's comrades, the dog, Glen, loved to jump and was always at the front of the stick (I'd always assumed they were strapped to the handler as in this picture, but not so, according to this account). However, on D-Day, Glen was terrified by the flak coming up and froze in the doorway, forcing the Paras to shove him bodily out of the aircraft!
Signalman,
You sound like a man I would like to chat to.
Esp if you were 6 AB Div Sigs K Sect 5 Para Bde.

PM coming your way.

Latest Threads