Airborne Sniffer Dog

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Mar 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We had Para-Dogs during WW2 - one of them is buried with his 19 year-old handler (Pte Emil 'Jack' Corteil, 9 Para) in Ranville. According to one of Pte Corteil's comrades, the dog, Glen, loved to jump and was always at the front of the stick (I'd always assumed they were strapped to the handler as in this picture, but not so, according to this account). However, on D-Day, Glen was terrified by the flak coming up and froze in the doorway, forcing the Paras to shove him bodily out of the aircraft!

2. See I can't ever imagine a dog that loves being thrown out of an aircraft.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Do you think he calls the other sniffer dogs "hats" and bangs on about his Para Pay alot
    Bet he walks with his front paw turned forward so he can show everyone his wings

Someone will be along in a minute to remind us no British Airborne Dog has jumped Operationally since Suez

4. :D

He probably wears a scrim lead and his fur has woolen cuffs at the paw too.

I'd be willing to bet if you look close enough he'll have an airbourne tattoo.

5. I bet 3 Para Mortars have a poodle or one of those little yappy things with a DZ flash coloured ribbon on top of it's head

6. And drinks at the Traf.

7. With his bitch who also has a tattoo or two!

8. There's been a few dogs in the Traf,none of them had Airbourne tats though :) :)

9. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

I'll bet tropper has jumped with two dogs.

10. I thought he was so old & blind that the only way he could tell to adopt a PLF position was that the dogs' leads had gone slack?

11. Word on the street is that it was actually two wolves. :D

12. Now that isnt true at all really.

13. None had Airbourne,although some had Airborne :)

14. You say that like its a bad thing!