Airborne Bergen

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by teehee, Jul 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.dragonsupplies.co.uk/ShowPage.aspx?ID=16

Saw that Bergen online today, was wondering if anyone here has used it and if it is any good. It says it has about 130l capacity. Doesn't look that big though, is it just a large daysack or is it a good contendor for the issue bergen? It looks damn good though!!

2. Dragon are getting them made for them only, Give them a ring, they designed the Bergan with help from one of the Para units, and they are selling like hotcakes.

Its basically the "old" Drop Bergan frame, with an 1000 Denier DPM IRR Codura Bergan, with extra pockets to the front, and an extra side pouch on the top.

Regards

3. That thing looks way too small to be 120L rated, unless it is way deeper/wider than it is long.

Looks a bit like the US ALICE or Canadian '64 frame setup. Any reason why the Paras prefer an external to internal frame? Have they had problems with the Internals during jump ops?

4. Bergen is the same as standard issue, but the old frame has been attached to the new bergen. Why anybody would want to add up to 10lbs in weight to an empty bag I don't know, but it seems to be popular. Nothing wrong with the internal frame, but one advantage of the external frame is that the bergen is held off the back slightly, which seems to be popular with JWIs.

5. Quite a few blokes including myself have managed to tailor a standard short back began.
    The look is almost identical to the new began.

Most Surplus shops can do it quite cheaply. The functionality of adding pouches to the outside aids you greatly especially when you have kit you use regulaly but cannot carry it in webbing, such as fuel bottles extra rats etc

6. JayJays in Brecon, will attach extra pouches to issue bergans for you - Hope that helps?

7. Nice looking item , but can anyone advise how far it "lifts" off the back. Only I've always used my webbing to help support the weight all up , and anything that can help there is worth looking at.

8. The bergan is excellent. The main reason for using an external frame is to avoid smashing your kit up on landing. It works quite well. Also, the old SAS/PARA frame means you don't add 20 pounds to your all up weight in sweat. Lads in the brigade have been doing this to thier bergans for years and the company saw the niche in the market.

9. How does it work with Jay Jays, would i have to buy a new bergan off them? I want to get a triple pouch set put on the front of my bergan, any idea what it might cost?

10. About 30 quid if you use your own bergan

11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You can go the whole hog and get the all-singing, all-dancing 'Caesarian' mod by Troopers in Military Road, Colly.

Give them a bell on 01206 - 511- 268

12. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

What exactly has that got then...?

13. Think I remember someone mentioning it before. Its got a zip on the main part of the bergan that means you can get your doss bag in and out easy.

Any idea on a price for it?

14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Yeah there's an entrance to the lower end of the main compartment, an adjustable/removable divider, (which can remain in place while carrying long kit inside,) top zip pouch rotated, (for use with a hydration pack,) three pouches lower front, options for two more upper front, etc.
    All the mods are bombproof and fd tested.

I know they can supply used or new bergans to mod but if you've got your own it will of course be cheaper.

Take a squint at the number above and give them a bell for a price.