Air Weapons

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by General_Layabout, Nov 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that i don't need a FAC for an air weapon, but is there a limit on how many i can transport at once or would i need authorisation/clearence to carry weapons in bulk.

If clearence of some sort is required where would i get said clearence?
  2. No authority required within the UK.
  3. * as long as its rated under 12ft/lbs

I believe air weapons must be in a lockable case when being transported, so chuck em all in a old MFO box and screw the lid down!
  4. No such requirement.
  5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

AS yet!!!!!!!

IIRC they should be concealed from view however; ie gun case etc. Although this may not be a mandatory requirement, it still fits best practice.
  6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

No such requirement indeed when moving this kit around. However, all rifles must be made safe, and if out in the open on public land, then in their case, or if in a vehicle - out of sight.

If you are seen by a member of the public waving one around, or they see them in your motor, I sh!t you not, you can get done for causing alarm or distress if they go crying to plod saying they bricked it when they saw you with it.

I am aware of a chap down my way who has recently gone to court for exactly this.

Suffice to say: Use your noggin, keep them out of sight and made safe and you should be fine.
  7. Must be in a secure cover that it cannot be fired - but only if in a public place in possession of a person under 18.
    For adults, even for firearms there is no requirement to conceal a firearm or carry it in a gunslip even if in a public place. Of course whether this is advisable or even just good manners is another question but there is no requirement in law.

If anyone wants to argue the point of law perhaps they would be so good as to provide act and section rather than what they "think" the law may or ought to be. :)

(That's not a pop at you Gremmers, I'm just anticipating what is to come. :) )
  8. Some interesting reading here:

Airgun Forum

I suspect your average plod would have a orgasm if they pulled you over and looked in the boot of your car and found a pile of "firearms"!
  9. Gremlin

Not taken as such - hence the best practice comment!
  10. No such requirement. May be good practice but no such requirement in law.

It's irrelevant whether it's in a cover or out of sight.

Out of sight comes under guidance relating to carriage (specifically in regard to arms left in unattended vehicles) and is just that - guidance.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It is good practice, and I'm just repeating what I tell my customers. If I say "No requirement", there'll be more problems rather than less.

As I said though, I've had to assist one of my customers who got his air rifle taken off him and is being done for 'Causing alarm and distress' with it, simply because he was seen using it by a member of the public, on HIS OWN property.

I'm sure he'll get off, but the point is, good practice; might as well put it in your personal rule book.
  12. I'm all for good practice but people are too fond of making up restrictions that don't exist. I think this is damaging so am always keen to point out what the law actually is. I would be surprised if your customer has any case to answer to be honest.

I have heard all sorts of nonsense and especially exageration and extrapolation over the years. i once heard an RFD telling a lad he had to be 200 Yards from a foot path to use an air rifle. Wrong on three counts with that one!
  13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

There's a helpful little book out there called 'Gun Law', which separates the fanciful from the actualite for the layman.

Well worth a read, as well as the Firearms Act of course ;-)
  14. Gremlin

What if you can only find a bridleway that is 400 yards away though :?
  15. I see you're feeling better! :D