Air to Ground Laser.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PE4rocks, Nov 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Merkins have successfully tested an Air to Ground Laser.

Heating an insurgent near you soon(ish)

Boeing Advanced Tactical Laser

2. Not quite hand held yet then
  3. [​IMG]

Mmmm Who could be responsible for producing such a thing?
  4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

The US has stuck doggedly to the airborne laser for ages when other Sci Fi weapon concepts have come and gone. This persistence is starting to pay off with the weight and power requirements going slowly down, it used to have to hitch a ride in a Jumbo. Make no mistake this is happening and expect to see it deployed as soon as possible.

Whatever the problems, limitations or capabilities the seismic shift in perception is going to make some big differences on the ground when it is made plain that you have a scary death ray circling out of reach above.

It might be used mainly against missiles or other aircraft but you know they will find a use for it against ground targets
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

This has indeed been in the pipeline for some time. Kit gets better all the time, and I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this slaved to the eyepiece of a helicopter pilot's helmet within the next 20 years, just like the 30mm cannon.
  6. You're assuming that helicopters will have pilots in 20 years time.
  7. Will it be like when I used to hold a magnifying glass on ants when I was a kid ?