Air Tech & Avionics Maths

Discussion in 'REME' started by harris921, May 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Am I right in saying the standard of maths during trade training for an Air Tech is of a slightly lower standard than the Avionics maths?

If so how would you define the maths for each trade? I.E; Air Tech higher tear GCSE maths, Avionics A-Level maths?
  2. The maths phase of the BE course is at the beginning, and is generic. The trade training part comes later on, so therefore it's the same.........unless things have changed?

VG/TechUnspec may have more info?
  3. Just read a few posts on here saying that if you fail avionics you will be offered air tech as the maths is of a lower standard?
  4. No Smudge, you've got that slightly wrong I believe. Land Systems techs and Avionics do the same BE. Aircraft do something different. I believe that Aircraft is slightly less academic but more demanding practically.

If you fail one I would guess that in the current climate that it would be a little difficult to just go across to another trade. After all, we are fully manned with plenty of people wanting to fill your boots.

Can I ask why the fascination with maths? These are technical trades, if you are worried about it then perhaps it isnt for you. That being said, if you have GCSE maths there is no reason to worry as long as you study hard and listen to your instructors.
  5. well there you go, live and learn :)
  6. All I will add is that although maths is a favorite stumbling block for quite a few. It's normally down to being out of the classroom for a while and underestimate the workload. It's not really hard but will require a little bit of work for most.

The main problem is that a lot of young guys would rather have an extra beer than put in the extra work. This leaves 3 types of people

1. Clever by nature, little work put in drunk alot.
    2. Clever enough to realise they are not as clever as type 1, lay off the bear and put in the extra work.
    3. Think they are clever get drunk alot and fail.

edited for being a MONG.
  7. What are the other 30 types? :twisted:
  8. ;) 3 for me :)
  9. There are only 10 types of people in the technical world, those who understand binary and those that don't.
  10. I fail to see the significance - all you'll be doing in the real world is swapping-out LRUs and changing lightbulbs.
  11. I don't believe anyone asked you for your opinion in the first place
  12. Oh dear
  13. Quite clever I thought,
  14. I don't do any of that and I had to pass maths......where is this 'real world' you talk of???
  15. I'm going to have to get a bigger boat...............................