Air Sea Rescue, MV Napoli

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by EX_STAB, Jan 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]
    Story from BBC:
    Video

Hats off to PO O'Donnell - takes some balls to do that job. I suppose it helps when your pilot is Chuck Norris! ;)
    Seriously good flying mind!

Well done all round.

2. :shock: :shock: :shock:

3. Lt Guy 'Chuck' Norris is a very senior observer, not a pilot. Ex Stab's link refers to him as a helo CO. Unlikely if his pilot was the Lieutenant Commander, possibly if his pilot was junior in the rank of Lieutenant/Captain RM (I don't know the rules but I'd imagine the pilot is i/c even if an Admiral is the observer.)

MoD Press Release

The other pilot as far as I can gather from the BBC report, knowing who the guy is (as opposed to knowing him) and a film of the mustered rescuers is an RM Captain, Damien May.

Annoying to see Petty Officer O'Donnell (BZ) being reduced in rate to 'Aircrewman' in the MoD article. What chance have we got of raising public awareness and understanding of the Armed Forces if the MoD press office can't get it right?

Edited to chuck in praise for all concerned.

4. Ahhh, understood. I was wondering what parent could possibly be cruel enough to name their child Chuck. Especially with that surname.

I forgot to mention in my last post - Outstanding bravery on the part of the crew, particularly PO O'Donnell. I don't like being winched to the nice flat ground in calm weather!