Air rifles

Sadly my small collection needs to shrink so says the wife at the moment I'm holding on to:

Two x wolverines a b type and a c type

One x mark four IS

One x Regal

One x Ranger

One x BSA mk2

One x BSA lighting springer

In you humble opinions which should go and which should stay.

All of them and buy a .22LR , more fun and a better rabbit gun. A brand new CZ455 in .22LR can be had for £315.00

I guess you are going for your FAC ? good move if so , go for a .22LR and moderator , you may also like a long range varmint rifle , have a look at .204 Ruger , Ive just got one , great fun , only drops 29" at 500yds.

No idea what they are, but after something that me and the boy (7yrs old) can do at the weekend.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Not every shooting situation calls for powder burners.

I took the kids to a small breeds farm and noticed a massive rabbit and corvid infestation. I spoke to the owner who said that the problem is getting out of hand. His livestock were getting injured by rabbit holes and the corvids were harassing and in some cases, killing the young.

He couldn't get anyone to shoot it, all of them turning it down due to safety reasons.

I offered to come around and shoot it with air. Park closed at 1700 and half an hour later I'd come in and have free run of the place.

Cleared it in a few sessions. I used a BSA ultra .177 because it shot nice and flat which was vital as a lot of shots had to be threaded through multiple wire fences.

Zero damage to livestock and fixtures.

Took along a .22 to deal with magpies caught in the larsen traps.

An excellent shoot.

Also, air rifles are great for squirrel bashing.

Get a rimfire but keep a couple or air rifles. One of each calibre if you use both.

Bit late to this and you've probably made the decision, but get rid of the Daystates and keep the BSA's. Gaystates are overpriced for what you get (IMHO) and so will give you a better return cash wise, and the BSA is as accurate as anything out there and not prone to as many prima donna hissy fits as a Daystate.

But I'll help you out - £50 for the Daystates, as long as you deliver? :)

I have an old HW35 I am very fond of, it still had the original leather seal and metal spring guide but was down to about 8ftlbs. Anyway, I picked up new seals, top hat and spring guide and an ox spring. What a mistake that spring was, scope won't stay on the rails, recoil is horrendous and I can't get better than a 3" group at 20 metres. I have been recommended to a Titan spring with a couple of coils taken off, any thoughts?

I have an old HW35 I am very fond of, it still had the original leather seal and metal spring guide but was down to about 8ftlbs. Anyway, I picked up new seals, top hat and spring guide and an ox spring. What a mistake that spring was, scope won't stay on the rails, recoil is horrendous and I can't get better than a 3" group at 20 metres. I have been recommended to a Titan spring with a couple of coils taken off, any thoughts?
Smoother and sleeker gets more power than stuffing a BFO spring in. Even if it does produce more power it's unusable. Go to the HW or AirgunBBS forums and they'll give yo better advice.

I'm more of a PCP bloke.

Smoother and sleeker gets more power than stuffing a BFO spring in. Even if it does produce more power it's unusable. Go to the HW or AirgunBBS forums and they'll give yo better advice.

I'm more of a PCP bloke.
Yeah, I am too but I have had this HW from new (bought it in 1976 on leave from brats) and am attached too it.

Rather than start a new Air Rifle thread, I'll bung this on here.

In about 1970, I obtained a BSA Airsporter Mk3 from a friend who got bored with his toys very quickly and sold it to me for £5 - result! It was a lovely rifle and I spent many an hour over the local dump, shooting rats. One Saturday afternoon I shot a couple of dozen whilst hidden in the cardboard box of an upright fridge'freezer. I undertook a lengthy stealth battle with the local council, nightly removing the poison they put down for the rats as they were spoiling my shooting. Farquhars won in the end, though!

I reconditioned the rifle a couple of years back as the leather piston parts had hardened and replaced the spring with a slightly uprated one.

The original sights were made of what appears to be an iron casting (it's magnetic). The main body cracked at the locating pin and the windage/V-sight unit disintegrated in the '70s. A whinging letter to BSA got replacements...... which also failed at the same places within a few years. Since then the parts have been discontinued by all the normal suppliers. I'd removed the old iron sights years ago for telescopic but decided a new set of iron could be made now I had the equipment (lathe and mill).

The old bits, showing the breaks.
Airsporter Sight (old).JPG

I have no excuse for the elevation disc - BSA painted it black and I cleaned it off with caustic soda. It was aluminium!
At the cost of a couple of quid (not including the man-hours!), I've succeeded in making a new set of parts. I had to make a near full set as BSA used Imperial threads and it was cheaper to make new metric threaded bits, than buy Imperial taps & dies.

Old, busted bits on the left. They're not really brown, they're blued; but in the vein of "Is that Fanny Green?, it's just the light, but not coming through the stained glass window.

New parts in situ.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting an air rifle again just for plinking and targets in the garage.
I dug out the old crappy Gamo(?) .177 pistol that's been in the garage for years the other day when my daughter (5) asked about something.

I'm thinking that some weapon safety lessons and a bit of garage shooting could be a bit of a fun daddy/daughter activity and we're looking at Texas next year so its a nice excuse to chuck some lead down a range again.

Naturally I'll be waiting for Social Services and the ARV to arrive.

Rather than start a new Air Rifle thread, I'll bung this on here.

In about 1970, I obtained a BSA Airsporter Mk3 from a friend who got bored with his toys very quickly and sold it to me for £5 - result! It was a lovely rifle and I spent many an hour over the local dump, shooting rats. One Saturday afternoon I shot a couple of dozen whilst hidden in the cardboard box of an upright fridge'freezer. I undertook a lengthy stealth battle with the local council, nightly removing the poison they put down for the rats as they were spoiling my shooting. Farquhars won in the end, though!

I reconditioned the rifle a couple of years back as the leather piston parts had hardened and replaced the spring with a slightly uprated one.

The original sights were made of what appears to be an iron casting (it's magnetic). The main body cracked at the locating pin and the windage/V-sight unit disintegrated in the '70s. A whinging letter to BSA got replacements...... which also failed at the same places within a few years. Since then the parts have been discontinued by all the normal suppliers. I'd removed the old iron sights years ago for telescopic but decided a new set of iron could be made now I had the equipment (lathe and mill).

The old bits, showing the breaks.
View attachment 399838
I have no excuse for the elevation disc - BSA painted it black and I cleaned it off with caustic soda. It was aluminium!
At the cost of a couple of quid (not including the man-hours!), I've succeeded in making a new set of parts. I had to make a near full set as BSA used Imperial threads and it was cheaper to make new metric threaded bits, than buy Imperial taps & dies.

Old, busted bits on the left. They're not really brown, they're blued; but in the vein of "Is that Fanny Green?, it's just the light, but not coming through the stained glass window.

New parts in situ.

I have very fond memories of the Airsporter.
It is how I learnt to shoot.

In my Mum & Dad’s large garden, my brother who had recently become a PWI decided he was going to teach 10 yr old me how to shoot. So for a couple of weeks of his summer leave, he brought Lympstone Cdo to leafy Bedforshire.

Some of the most important lessons I ever had and they have stuck with me ever since.