Air Rifle Sights

john_singh

Old-Salt
I am considering purchasing an air rifle powered by a gas bottle.
However all the ones I have seen come with scopes rails.

Is it possible to have Post & aperture sights fitted, SLR style?
I have to teach my son the basics and I would rather train him on iron sights first.
Have made a few enquirie's and come up with a blank.
Does anyone know of a supplier of these sights?

Thanks In Advance

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
If you want to teach him the basics, why on earth are you considering an expensive PCP rifle?

Just buy him a cheap break-barrel with iron sights. The other side is that PCP are recoil-less, so far too easy to shoot with for a beginner :)

On scope rails - you may struggle to find "SLR style" sights to fit. You can probably buy those military types of sights from e.g. airsoft suppliers, but they are probably designed for mounting on a 20mm scope rail. Most PCP scope rails are narrower - mine is 11mm (Weihrauch HW100). And I've only seen converters going the other way.

How old is your lad?

john_singh

Old-Salt
I was intending to use it as well.

What would you recommend for a break barrel, as well as honing accuracy we want to get some rabbits if possible.

He is 20, a real softy. Trying to persuade him to join the OTC at Uni or the Uni shooting club.

I bought a Webley & Scott .22 break barrel iron sghts, that came with a slip, tin of pellets and a telescopic sight (not fitted), from my local agricultural merchant for £165 inc. VAT. Used for corvids, nice and basic, try Mole Valley, or the equivalent in your part of the country.

BSA Supersport or any of the Weihrauch springers depending on budget. However, if you are planning on shooting rabbits then get a scope and practise until you can consistently hit a 5p size target at 20 yards. That way you should get a clean kill. If he's a softy he won't like seeing a rabbit writhing in agony and screaming after he's clipped it with open sights.
Also, think about joining a rifle club to hone your skills in a safe environment and definitely join BASC, if only for the insurance, and make sure you always adhere to safety rules and the laws on use of airguns, where and what you can shoot.

BSA Supersport or any of the Weihrauch springers depending on budget. However, if you are planning on shooting rabbits then get a scope and practise until you can consistently hit a 5p size target at 20 yards. That way you should get a clean kill. If he's a softy he won't like seeing a rabbit writhing in agony and screaming after he's clipped it with open sights.
Also, think about joining a rifle club to hone your skills in a safe environment and definitely join BASC, if only for the insurance, and make sure you always adhere to safety rules and the laws on use of airguns, where and what you can shoot.
And there speaks the voice of experience.

I would add, always check the backdrop behind your target and add Air Arms to the list of rifles.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I teach air rifle shooting to young people aged 10-18. All you need is a simple break barrel, with iron sights and eyes in the back of your head.

I used to do my air rifle shooting in Shropshire, Webly Vulcan . .22 first open sights then a small scope, then got into it and bought for the time 1980 a huge scope which was supposed to give you low light capabilities.Rabbits mainly but also a few pheasants, partridge and once a huge hare , jugged hare in red wine was very nice.

My old dear then moved up to Gateshead and so I did join the local shooting club up there , 22 rim . What a bore ? They spent about 5 minutes per shot to get the bull, and most were not that good. Far to slow and cardigan , slipper wearing chaps.

I bought my daughter (12 at the time) a Webley VMX cub. It is cheap but perfect for teaching posture, iron sights, breathing etc. Easy to break the barrel, and has a safety catch.

I would agree with other posters and say that teaching with a PCP would be far too easy. My BSA R10 is like a laser. far too accurate and your lad would be bored soon after as it takes the fun out of marksmanship.

I've got the worlds most battered westlake .22 breakbarrel rifle to rebuild after it was abused by someone, 'refurbished' by some ham-fisted gibbon and now needs to be either cut into little pieces or taken apart and rebuilt properly.

My kids are taking an interest in learning how to use it though.

I have to teach my son the basics and I would rather train him on iron sights first.

Thanks In Advance
Worth looking at the gamo maxxim break barrel. I have one in .177 it comes with a 10 pellet magazine which works really well.
Zeroing was good fun, bang on at 15m with 10 grain pellets and not bad at 25m with 7.4 grain with same point of aim. I did it like that because the scope is not graduated and it comes with 2 mags so why not. 250 quid, wooden furniture including Adjustable cheek piece, scope and bag.

Last edited:

Thanks In Advance
I think Parker Hale make a peep sight that may do the trick.

Or get him a cheapie with iron sights as suggested.

Or stalk to within close range for iron sights. Gives lunch a sporting chance as well as teaching the sprog patience and focus.

I was intending to use it as well.

What would you recommend for a break barrel, as well as honing accuracy we want to get some rabbits if possible.

He is 20, a real softy. Trying to persuade him to join the OTC at Uni or the Uni shooting club.
A lot of years back I had an underlever air rifle; the lever to re-cock the thing was under the barrel, purposely so that it didn't affect the accuracy between the for and rear sight.

I can't remember the name of the rifle, just posting to say that there's alternatives to break-barrel and gas powered air rifles.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
A lot of years back I had an underlever air rifle; the lever to re-cock the thing was under the barrel, purposely so that it didn't affect the accuracy between the for and rear sight.

I can't remember the name of the rifle, just posting to say that there's alternatives to break-barrel and gas powered air rifles.
Possibly a Webley Eclipse or a Weihrauch HW77?

I used to have a sharp innova in .22, underlever pump-up. excellent piece of kit, very light, very accurate and powerful to the point I doubted if it was staying under 12ftlbs. Either way a great little rifle and fairly hard to find now.

That sounds like the BSA .22 Airsporter I had as a teenager.

I used to have a sharp innova in .22, underlever pump-up. excellent piece of kit, very light, very accurate and powerful to the point I doubted if it was staying under 12ftlbs. Either way a great little rifle and fairly hard to find now.
I believe the Sharp Inova is on the banned list.