Air Rifle Incident Resulting in Boy's Death.

Air rifles don't make loud bangs.
There is something missing from this write-up.
I’ve seen plenty with sound moderators on.

https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/r-v-grannon-sentencing-remarks.pdf don`t know if this will show if you click on it, judges sentencing remarks, gives some info on the gun used, something wrong here as the gun was over the Uk limit at the guys request, that makes it FAC and he knew it that alone should have given him a 5 stretch without causing a death with the fecking thing
Firearms Act 1968
6 months on Summary conviction. It’s not a 4(4) offence and normally dealt with by Magistrates but carried over to the upper Court as they were dealing with the manslaughter charge.

Hit the Tit

Clanker
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/r-v-grannon-sentencing-remarks.pdf don`t know if this will show if you click on it, judges sentencing remarks, gives some info on the gun used, something wrong here as the gun was over the Uk limit at the guys request, that makes it FAC and he knew it that alone should have given him a 5 stretch without causing a death with the fecking thing

The sentencing remarks are a bit of an eye opener - the rifle had been modified to push out over 15 ft lbs and the mad old bastard claimed he pulled the trigger to see if it was loaded, while having it pointed at his grandson. The illegal rifle had been kept unsecured in a cocked and loaded state for some time. 18 months in jail doesn't seem enough, even if it was actually just gross negligence.

CC_TA

LE
I read the sad news of Stanley Metcalf (age 6) death from an air gun shooting injury. The BBC report mentions of the perpetrator. "The 78-year-old also admitted possessing an air rifle without holding a firearms certificate."

It seems unlikely this is poor reporting on the possession of a sub 12flb gun and so the gun was Section 1. How does someone simply get one of those without an FAC I wonder? I can't imagine there are that many around to nick or that such things are what the underworld gun sellers would be offering.

I've heard you can uprate them to exceed the limit but how many bother going to that length? I would imagine that is not something a reputable armourer going to do in a back-room kind of style.

I am not sure on the idea of licensing air rifles/pistols but how to keep them out of the hands of idiots is a reasonable question I think. These types of incidents always seem to be the result of someone being utterly useless at safe handling.

You can up the ooompfff of most sprung air rifles by striping them and polishing up the springs, housings and tubes with Brasso - less friction = more fun :)

That is to make them as quiet as they possibly can be.
It increases the chance of a second shot at a group of eg rabbits who would have legged it after being startled by the first shot,
I know why they’re added. You say that an air rifle of 15-16 ft/lb’s isn’t loud. Indoors, in a kitchen, it’ll be loud.

usually pcp`s, on spring powered guns they are more use as a bit more leverage to cock them
Decent moderators on PCP’s, yes.

I know why they’re added. You say that an air rifle of 15-16 ft/lb’s isn’t loud. Indoors, in a kitchen, it’ll be loud.

You are right. I misread that sentence in the paper to mean the relatives heard it while they were inside the house.
In fact, the airgun was discharged inside the house. While loaded, and pointed at his grandson.
Deserves his Sentence, and some.

Karamoja

War Hero
Read in the paper that the pellet went straight through the poor lad. Never heard of an air rifle doing that before, I wonder if the thing dieseled as well which would also explain the loud bang. I took a shot at a tree rat today with my old Webley MkIII. I hadn't used it for a couple of months and the thing dieseled with quite a bang.

Read in the paper that the pellet went straight through the poor lad. Never heard of an air rifle doing that before, I wonder if the thing dieseled as well which would also explain the loud bang. I took a shot at a tree rat today with my old Webley MkIII. I hadn't used it for a couple of months and the thing dieseled with quite a bang.

It’s in the Judgement posted by @neil82
https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/r-v-grannon-sentencing-remarks.pdf

You and Stanley Metcalfe were in the kitchen when you fired a single pellet. It entered his body in the area of his stomach from a distance of only a few feet. It passed through his body and went out the back. As it did so, it severed the iliac artery in his lower abdomen, causing significant loss of blood. His mother heard him say, “Why have you shot me, Grandad?” or something similar.

Poor lad was only 6 years old so would be quite slim, sounds like only soft tissue was involved, add to that the rifle had been upped to 15/16 ftlbs.