Air Rifle Incident Resulting in Boy's Death.

A 78 year old might have had an air rifle from 50 or so years ago, before the 12 ft lbs limit was thought about, bunged in the attic.

I was once servicing/ cleaning my old BSA air pistol and I overdidit with three in one.
When I fired it, it went off with a terrific bang complete with smoke and the smell of diesel or burnt oil.
Needless to say as naive a thirteen year old I always added a drop or two into the pellet after that.

Last edited:
Getting more power out of sub 12ftlb`s air rifles is not too difficult , I`ve had numerous idiots ask me to do it for them so I explain that I`m not prepared to risk doing time just to make a few quid , the seriousness of having an illegal firearm doesn't sink in with most of them.
I bought a Weirauch HW97K for HFT about 15 years ago- proper import with Hull Cartridge stamps on it- and it was consistently exceeding 13ft/lbs on the club chrono so, rightly, wasn’t allowed to use it- brand new!
There were a couple of other guys who had the same issue, I was going to get mine Venom tuned anyway so it just forced me to get it done sooner rather than later. I hadn’t wanted to return it as I’d heard horror stories about them just lopping a couple of coils of mainspring off to lower the power!

neil82

Old-Salt
I remember reading with some incredulity of a case where someone was found guilty for having an airgun that "could be" converted to a FAC firearm.
you might be thinking of the case where the forensics lab admitted in court that it had "tampered" with a air rifle to see if it could exceed 12f/lbs, it could be turned up well over that and the bloke was found guilty, this is the major problem with the legislation as it is now, it asks " is it capable of exceeding 12 f/lbs", no mention of what pellet used or if the gun is left standard. Pretty much every PCP and a great many spring powered guns are capable of going well over the limit with simple mods, in the case of PCP`s most of it is simply altering the settings, no parts changed or modified

More journalistic excellence from Sky News regarding the poor boy;

‘His family described him as being "vibrant and full of energy" after his death.’

Last edited:
The law changed a few years ago regarding air rifles under 12 ft/lbs. Although you didn't need to put them in a gun safe, you were required to have some method of securing them. Something like a trigger lock, or chain through the trigger guard, so nobody could just pick it up and start messing around with it.
Crime and security act 2010

https://basc.org.uk/wp-content/plugins/download-monitor/download.php?id=55

This was brought in following another child fatality when a young child shot themselves with an airgun

The requirement is to prevent under 18s from unauthorised access. The home office & police recommended gun safes where possible, but the legal requirement is to only to secure them

I bought a Weirauch HW97K for HFT about 15 years ago- proper import with Hull Cartridge stamps on it- and it was consistently exceeding 13ft/lbs on the club chrono so, rightly, wasn’t allowed to use it- brand new!
There were a couple of other guys who had the same issue, I was going to get mine Venom tuned anyway so it just forced me to get it done sooner rather than later. I hadn’t wanted to return it as I’d heard horror stories about them just lopping a couple of coils of mainspring off to lower the power!
I have an old HW35 in .22, I bought a spring, top hat, and seal kit off ebay to spruce it up a bit. I found that the spring was way too powerful, a right bastard to fit, a lot harder to cock and it rattled the scope loose after a few pellets. Accuracy was abysmal.
I sawed 3 coils off the spring and tack welded a large washer over the cut and that worked fine.

I saw the thing about licence and automatically assumed Scotland. My bad, I should have automatically assumed BBC is full of it, they should BS for Britain. (I suppose they think that's their job description.)
Although to be fair, as has been said already, it could have been over 12 foot/pound, hence requiring a firearms certificate.
What would have been worth knowing is; where was his trigger finger when the gun went off and why the hell was it pointed at anyone, let alone a child?

Last edited:

Trax2go

Old-Salt
Whilst the power of the air-weapons is an important consideration, it is also true that if you use one, or a replica, airsoft or even a part of a weapon, it automatically becomes a firearms offence. That could lead to a 5 year term.

Whilst the power of the air-weapons is an important consideration, it is also true that if you use one, or a replica, airsoft or even a part of a weapon, it automatically becomes a firearms offence. That could lead to a 5 year term.
I think you mean if you use one to commit a crime it becomes a firearms offense.

Not sure what you mean by that. Air weapons are firearms per se as they are ‘a lethal barrelled weapon from which any shot, bullet or other missile can be discharged’.

It applies to poaching or prohibitions such is being sentenced to prison for 3 months or more.

Interesting, i had the exact same rifle gifted to me in my early teens and it always seemed way more powerful than any of my friends rifles despite a few of them having decent pieces of kit.
I'd always assumed it was because of theirs being a bit older or just the quality of pellet being used (i always opted to pay a bit more). It never occurred to me it might of been over the limit.
I wish i still had it to test but it was sold off after an errant young family member used it to ventilate nearby bus stop windows. I was legging it around Canada on exercise at the time otherwise i might of made the slightest objection. Apologies for further thread drift.

Got to be honest here, if I accidently killed one of my grandchildren with one of my air rifles, I would plead guilty to pretty much anything Plod decided to charge me with.
I doubt very much I'd be inclined to argue my innocence

What if the grandkid was ginger?

Pensioner who killed great grandson with air rifle jailed for three years
He got three years:
A 78-year-old man has been jailed for three years after he shot dead his six-year-old great-grandson as he checked his unlicensed air rifle.

Albert Grannon fired the .22 calibre weapon into football-mad Stanley Metcalf's stomach during a family gathering at his home in Sproatley, East Yorkshire, in July last year.

Sheffield Crown Court heard how the youngster said "you shot me granddad" as shocked relatives responded to the sound of a loud bang in the house.

Latest Threads