Air Rifle Incident Resulting in Boy's Death.

Getting more power out of sub 12ftlb`s air rifles is not too difficult , I`ve had numerous idiots ask me to do it for them so I explain that I`m not prepared to risk doing time just to make a few quid , the seriousness of having an illegal firearm doesn't sink in with most of them.

I'm pretty sure in just under a year (26th July) , at some time when in Police custody, or interview or anything else, I would have at least said 'I'm sorry' for what I'd done. Maybe that's just me and we're all individuals as you say.

Not so sure, people handle grief and shock in different ways.

Some people aren't necessarily very expressive either, I often have to remind myself to appear to respond appropriately in many circumstances
He's also an older generation that often aren't inclined to wear their heart on their sleeve and that is easily misinterpreted.

Trying to put myself in his shoes, I'm not sure I would respond to anybody or express anything. I'm fairly sure under those circumstances I simply wouldn't have anything to say at all

Not so sure, people handle grief and sock in different ways.

Some people aren't necessarily very expressive either, I often have to remind myself to appear to respond appropriately in many circumstances
He's also an older generation that often aren't inclined to wear their heart on their sleeve and that is easily misinterpreted.

Trying to put myself in his shoes, I'm not sure I would respond to anybody or express anything. I'm fairly sure under those circumstances I simply wouldn't have anything to say at all
As I said, we're all individuals. I would have shown some remorse for my actions killing a great grandchild. Clearly others wouldn't.

As I said, we're all individuals. I would have shown some remorse for my actions killing a great grandchild. Clearly others wouldn't.

Showing and feeling are very different things. I would imagine that there are very very few great grandfathers that could accidentally kill the child without being remorseful. I don't find it difficult to believe that they may not display that remorse in the manner somebody else expects.

endure

GCM
You can put an air rifle over the limit by soaking the pellets in oil first. This often causes them to 'diesel'.

Showing and feeling are very different things. I would imagine that there are very very few great grandfathers that could accidentally kill the child without being remorseful. I don't find it difficult to believe that they may not display that remorse in the manner somebody else expects.
It's a good job we're all individuals then. As I said.

I remember reading with some incredulity of a case where someone was found guilty for having an airgun that "could be" converted to a FAC firearm.

I'd be minded to think the testing might be aimed at achieving the desired result...

You mean providing depth of evidence to ensure that all aspects are reported to the court in the guys trial for causing the death of his Great Grandchild? An act for which, according to Police, he showed little to no remorse for.

Karamoja

War Hero
Pedantic mode on :-
in the past many children had a garden gun.... that is a 410 shotgun
Garden guns fire a 9mm shotshell. The .410 is definitely not considered a garden gun.

Pedantic mode off:-

I used to make my Mk III Webley diesel by dropping a bit of machine oil behind the pellet.

There was always talk about ways to make air rifles over the limit a new spring or certain types of pellets etc etc r

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
The only way my air rifle could be dangerous would be as a club.
I took it from someone who doesn't have the wit to look after it or use it properly. It's in a terrible state

I am not sure on the idea of licensing air rifles/pistols but how to keep them out of the hands of idiots is a reasonable question I think. These types of incidents always seem to be the result of someone being utterly useless at safe handling.

The law changed a few years ago regarding air rifles under 12 ft/lbs. Although you didn't need to put them in a gun safe, you were required to have some method of securing them. Something like a trigger lock, or chain through the trigger guard, so nobody could just pick it up and start messing around with it.

Latest Threads