Air rifle advice

cymraeg

War Hero
Hail thee wise and sage members of the mighty rumour service of his imperial mongnessess land fyrd. (Pratts and sarky ******* are welcome also)

So I'm giving the shotties up soon as I really really don't use them and enjoying plinking away with my son more and more.

Now I currently have a lovely old daystate lr90 that's in amazing condition but find the single feed (won't take a mag) really awkward with my sausage fingers and seeing as the boy has dropped the hint that he would like it for Xmas I find myself in a bit of a quandary. What the feck to replace it with and hence I'm here........

My requirements really are must take a magazine pref 10 shots plus. Pcp, Calibre. 177 and a max budget of £1800. I wouldn't normally spend this much money but fancy a high end ish rifle that say I'm looking to use for 10yrs plus

What would you guys recommend from experience

Many thanks all as always

Poppycock

War Hero
The HW 100 is very comfortable

ETA I got mine from Germany (over t'internet) so it is reduced power to 7.5 joules instead of 16 as is allowed here, but for plinking it's fine & can always be up powered by someone authorised

Ritch

LE
Hail thee wise and sage members of the mighty rumour service of his imperial mongnessess land fyrd. (Pratts and sarky ******* are welcome also)

So I'm giving the shotties up soon as I really really don't use them and enjoying plinking away with my son more and more.

Now I currently have a lovely old daystate lr90 that's in amazing condition but find the single feed (won't take a mag) really awkward with my sausage fingers and seeing as the boy has dropped the hint that he would like it for Xmas I find myself in a bit of a quandary. What the feck to replace it with and hence I'm here........

My requirements really are must take a magazine pref 10 shots plus. Pcp, Calibre. 177 and a max budget of £1800. I wouldn't normally spend this much money but fancy a high end ish rifle that say I'm looking to use for 10yrs plus

Is the .177 calibre definite?

I have a Hammerli 850 Magnum and it's an absolutely brilliant rifle. It has a magazine (8 shots admittedly) but it's in .22.

I'd highly recommend.

"Hammerli 850 Air Magnum XT Kit - .22 CO2 Air Rifle - CO2 Powered Air Rifles | Pellpax" Hammerli 850 Air Magnum XT Kit - .22 CO2 Air Rifle - CO2 Powered Air Rifles | Pellpax

cymraeg

War Hero
Hi guys and thanks for the replies.

.177 is def and really prefer a pcp over c02.

Don't fancy a more modern daystate due to electronics

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I have an Air Arms S410 in .177" Takes 10 shot catridges - lovely balance and nicely contoured stock - they do L/H, R/H or ambidexterous, I've got the L/H, tried the ambi and it didn't feel as good to me.
ETA - had it just over nine years, used regularly and just as good as I remember it being from new.

Teg61

Old-Salt
AB8F4EE3-43F5-4C7E-8CF0-0840E4A855E5.jpeg

Another vote for the HW100, I have had mine for 4 years no and it is a great bit of kit. 14 shot magazine, updated cylinder gives me over 100 shots before refill as well.

Gone2ratshat

Old-Salt

Air Arms- Made in England

cymraeg

War Hero
I have an FX Verminator mk2, bullpup-like shape, ergonomics are a bit off in terms of getting down on the sight but having the scope raised up has fixed that.
Apart from that the quality of build and materials is top notch, short and portable, so nicely balanced you could fire it like a pistol, lovely adjustable 2 stage trigger, with (not included) moderator on the only sound is a barely perceptible click - very loud w/out it - 1/2" thread, many interesting design features such as shrouded smooth twist barrel, adjustable stock, 3 position power adjustment at the click of an adjuster wheel, comes in a cool takedown case with moulded cut outs. 300+ shots out of the bottle.
The expensive 16 round FX cassette mags are quite a faff mind you.
Expensive at £1000.
Don't regret it for a moment.

Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Oh yer, photo....
1634278512235.jpeg

I just got this back from my old mans place at the weekend.

Back story: bought it with one of my first wage packets from a mate when I was 16. His Mam told him he had to get rid of it after she discovered it hidden in their house somewhere.

My Mam told me the same when she found it stashed in the shed. It went over to the my Dads house for safe keeping for around 20 years until just a few days ago.

He made good use of it over the years.

It’s now back in my hands and I’ve just bought a tin of pellets.

My youngest daughter is absolutely beyond excited to have a go on it.

Obviously I’ll run her through a full WHT and marksmanship principles lesson beforehand.

And in true army fashion the armoury will be open at 0500, first pellet down range at 0900. Horror bags and range stew booked.

Missus will more than likely not approve, and tell me to get rid of it.

1D2AFE5B-D438-48D1-996D-F894006BB3E2.jpeg

A bit cheaper, and more Chinese than the other options mentioned, but one of mates has recently bought one of these. He's mostly using it at about 50m, and seems very pleased with it so far.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have a HW100 and the HW110. I prefer the 100 and it is very effecient at nailing the rats that venture into the garden.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
For a springer, I swear by my HW80K in .22 (2nd left).

Rifles.jpg

At the very bottom end of the market, Kral np02 in .177 has massive air capacity and 14-round mags. With simple 4x tele sights, best ever is five rounds on a five pence at 25m. See on-line reviews. Hard case, sights and moderator, all-in £450. Good for about ten mags before charging. This gives you £1350 change for beer, but leaves you feeling shabby when your mates turn up with their posh toys.

Last edited: