Air pistol for Pest Control wanted.

Thought I would post this here in case any of you wanted to shift one, else will buy new.

A friend of mine has a smallholding which includes chickens, ducks and geese.
For a couple of years she put up with rats but after a couple of years of losing generations of fluffy chicks and ducklings asked me to come and shoot rats when I had time.
The other day she said " I ******* hate rats " (never heard her swear before) and " can you buy me a gun ?"

I was looking at an SMK CP1 with a red dot sight as she is short-sighted and mostly needs it at night
If anyone wants to shift something suitable please let me know.

Would traps not be a better solution for her? Not poison but actual traps that catch the buggers.

Belt and braces I think.
She took delivery of a couple of live traps yesterday but you still need to kill them.
Remember, chickens are inquisitive but also very stupid, standard rat traps would kill many of her birds.

Would traps not be a better solution for her? Not poison but actual traps that catch the buggers.
I like the bucket of water with bait on a trapdoor type.

Dot a few of those around and the problem is sorted without sitting outdoors all night in a deckchair, wrapped in a blanket, cuddling a thermos flask and a torch.

Variations on a theme. With nosey chickens I would cover the thing with chicken wire allowing rats, but not chickens, in. You can also dig a hole and plonk them in so that they do not stand so high==>
I put rat poison out at the old house as we lived near the open countryside. The problem with rat poison they sell to not licensed people is that it does not kill rats immediately it dehydrates them slowly. So they look for water. In my case they were finding my swimming pool and trying to take a drink, falling in and drowning. So I used the buckets dotted away from the pool. The convenience of the bucket is that they are dead when you find them and then you don't need to touch them, just chuck the contents of the bucket in the hedge.

asr1

War Hero
You'll never make a dent in rat numbers with an air rifle unless you are out all night every night, good fun though. Poison is the best way to get the numbers down, also found out where they live and smash the nest area and make sure there are no food sources for them as much as possible.

If you want to shoot them I'd recommend something like a Gamo Phox Silenci (good budget PCP with magazine and silencer) and a small scope mounted lamp with a stock switch and a red filter. You'll need to spend about £500 though, but I doubt you'd regret it! With a PCP with a magazine you can get follow up shots without them realising that their mates are toast.

That's the problem with decent air rifles, so effing expensive.

I stand to be corrected, but I doubt any air pistol will dispatch a rat, unless you’re prepared to get very up close and personal -in which case a cricket bat will suffice.

Last edited:
With poison you also have the problem that another animal could eat the rat and get poisoned.

Air pistols are so weak you'd be better off using a catapult.

But trap the bastards first so it's much easier to aim at them.

If you are determined to shoot them, then get a shotgun instead.

I stand to be corrected, but I doubt any air pistol will dispatch a rat, unless you’re prepared to get very up close and personal -in which case a cricket bat will suffice.
Not quite right, 6ft/lbs is enough if you are close enough.
And she is, I've occasionally put her chickens to bed and rats are so close and unfazed.
I shot them but she is new to guns.

ugly

LE
Air pistols are anaemic at six ft lbs max legal. Most will just piss off rats. I use a 9mm rimfire shotgun not too noisy but effective

ugly

LE
Max range is thirty feet, won't go through 1mm ply at that distance

Air pistols are anaemic at six ft lbs max legal. Most will just piss off rats. I use a 9mm rimfire shotgun not too noisy but effective
9mm rimfire shotgun !
Tell me more !
And can it be sawn short and a moderator be used to bring it up to minimum legal length ?

ugly

LE
9mm rimfire shotgun !
Tell me more !
And can it be sawn short and a moderator be used to bring it up to minimum legal length ?
Yes if permanently fixed

Air pistols are so weak you'd be better off using a catapult.

But trap the bastards first so it's much easier to aim at them.

If you are determined to shoot them, then get a shotgun instead.
I’d agree that trapping is the best option. Then a quick diving lesson.

Shotgun will demise said rats, but unless you have a hankering for the old days in an OP, sitting around waiting for them, it is a touch uninteresting. In the last 48 years I’ve hit precisely one rat.

Peanut butter and cheese makes a tempting lure.