Air cover is inadequate for troops in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by barbs, Apr 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Telegraph 6 Apr 06: Air cover is 'inadequate' for troops in Afghanistan

well, d'uh
  2. Granted, there will be only one Harrier GR7 sqn and one of Apache deployed in support of 16 Bde, however, they will be able call for CAS from other Coalition nation's aircraft in-theatre. It's far from ideal, but still, we're used to deployments on a shoe-string.
  3. 307

307 War Hero

How much air power outside of british forces is there in afghanistan? Assuming the americans do begin a draw down? I think there's some dutch F-16s and Apaches?
  4. I think the expression " No Shit Sherlock, what gave you the first clue?" springs to mind
  5. The GR7 Sqn is being withdrawn in June.
  6. Thats retarded withdrawing the Harriers, just in time when everyone has arrived for the tour. And how the hell are Hercs going to defened, what they going to do low flying in a bid to scare the Talebans goats and camels?
  7. I can assure you that there will be no dramas ref CAS in Afganistan .
  8. Too feckin right, P3! :D
  9. I am sure that Darth, stumpyi and green ronnie will back me up on this .The press get
    half a story and twist it or make assumptions. There will be Plenty of CAS for the ground
    troops in Afganistan , be it from RAF,RNAF or USAF . Also their are a few AC-130'S knocking
    about the place as well .......''IN HOT''
  10. To Quote Maninblack "Time to sit back and watch fixed wing availability improve. "
    No further comment from me, just hope no more troops are sacrificed to keep the bean counters happy and ex crab engineering officers in jobs with BAEs.
  11. As has been said by others there is plenty of CAS available. In the engagement last week the defenders had Apache,Harrier and B52's among the mix of ac. There is always a B52 or B1 on station with JDAM's.
  12. And B-52's do have a CAS capability , Better not be ''Danger close''
  13. Oh - nice. More Blue on Blue then?
  14. B52s and B1s are hardly CAS. I wouldn't want to be within a mile of their 'intended' target!!