Air cover is inadequate for troops in Afghanistan

Telegraph 6 Apr 06: Air cover is 'inadequate' for troops in Afghanistan

British troops will not have sufficient helicopters or adequate fighter cover when they take on the drugs barons and Taliban warlords in Afghanistan this summer, politicians warned yesterday.

MPs said they were "deeply concerned" at the lack of sufficient equipment for the 3,300-strong task force and have asked the Ministry of Defence to provide evidence that RAF Hercules transport aircraft would have suitable defensive equipment against attacks from the ground.
well, d'uh

Granted, there will be only one Harrier GR7 sqn and one of Apache deployed in support of 16 Bde, however, they will be able call for CAS from other Coalition nation's aircraft in-theatre. It's far from ideal, but still, we're used to deployments on a shoe-string.

How much air power outside of british forces is there in afghanistan? Assuming the americans do begin a draw down? I think there's some dutch F-16s and Apaches?

flipflop said:
Granted, there will be only one Harrier GR7 sqn and one of Apache deployed in support of 16 Bde, however, they will be able call for CAS from other Coalition nation's aircraft in-theatre. It's far from ideal, but still, we're used to deployments on a shoe-string.
The GR7 Sqn is being withdrawn in June.

Thats retarded withdrawing the Harriers, just in time when everyone has arrived for the tour. And how the hell are Hercs going to defened, what they going to do low flying in a bid to scare the Talebans goats and camels?

I am sure that Darth, stumpyi and green ronnie will back me up on this .The press get
half a story and twist it or make assumptions. There will be Plenty of CAS for the ground
troops in Afganistan , be it from RAF,RNAF or USAF . Also their are a few AC-130'S knocking
about the place as well .......''IN HOT''

To Quote Maninblack "Time to sit back and watch fixed wing availability improve. "
No further comment from me, just hope no more troops are sacrificed to keep the bean counters happy and ex crab engineering officers in jobs with BAEs.

As has been said by others there is plenty of CAS available. In the engagement last week the defenders had Apache,Harrier and B52's among the mix of ac. There is always a B52 or B1 on station with JDAM's.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
tomahawk6 said:
As has been said by others there is plenty of CAS available. In the engagement last week the defenders had Apache,Harrier and B52's among the mix of ac. There is always a B52 or B1 on station with JDAM's.
B52s and B1s are hardly CAS. I wouldn't want to be within a mile of their 'intended' target!!

In actual fact B-1's and B-52's do have a CAS capability . I kid you not , not low level CAS
but CAS all the same . As for the Blue on Blue , well its all down to the FAC on the ground
making sure the pilot see's what he see's. We are not talking about some ''cowboy'' Air national
guard pilot in an A-10 . In fact a B-1 carried out emergency CAS in Afganistan at 250 ft .

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Do the B-52 and B-1 carry JDAM, and if so, is this programmable in-flight? Sorry, I'm pretty ignorant of the techy bits here, but if so, that would be able to drop pretty damn accurately, surely?

Mongoose wrote:

Release from the American DoD;

BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan – Afghan and Coalition forces killed one insurgent yesterday in combat in the Deh Rawod District of Uruzgan Province.
While conducting a combined security patrol, Afghan National Army and Coalition elements engaged four Taliban insurgents with small-arms fire, killing one, and then called for close-air support.
Coalition aircraft responded and dropped two joint direct attack munitions – 2,000-pound guided bombs. No battle-damage assessment was available; there were no Afghan or Coalition casualties in the engagement.
“The enemies of Afghanistan cannot stand up to the firepower and strength of Afghan and Coalition forces,” said Lt. Col. Paul Fitzpatrick, spokesman for the Coalition’s Combined Joint Task Force – 76. “We will continue to work with our Afghan counterparts to not allow the enemies of this nation a moment’s rest.”

Sounds good to me.

The bombers have been doing cas in afganistian since the start of the war .To stat with they were the only aircraft with the capability
to get there .And they have proved successful with better loiter and payload than smaller aircraft .And they can carry j dam .