Air Corps Soldier

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by MrPositive, Sep 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

I'm looking to join the army soon and I really like the sound of the AAC Groundcrewman/soldier.

I was wondering however if anyone here knows when the next available intake of this trade will be? I've heard it may not be till there any truth behind this or does anyone know if it may be sooner?

Thanks all for taking the time to read this.
  2. Not too sure to be honest. Your best bet to get the most up to date answer would be to pop in or call the careers office.

BTW, nice avatar. Would you care to give us the details behind it? :wink:
  3. Why yes of course good sir...*clears throat, deep breath*

A key requirement in all-military campaigns and battles since wars began has been to observe the enemy, to discover his strengths and weaknesses, and also to direct fire power onto targets.

Observation was originally carried out from high ground or buildings however with the advent of manned flight, using balloons, kites and eventually aeroplanes, observers were given greater opportunity to view the battlefield.

It was during World War 1 that the importance of the aeroplane as an observation platform was realised with the formation of the Royal Flying Corps. Although the Army used Royal Air Force (RAF) CO-Operation Squadrons between the wars, it was not until World War 2 that the Army required soldiers to fly again.

During World War 2, Royal Artillery officers, supported by RAF technicians, flew Auster light aircraft in RAF-owned Air Observation Post squadrons. Twelve were raised and they served as squadrons or flights in virtually every campaign. Where possible they co-located with Army formations. Many of the early Air Observation Post squadron numbers still exist within the Corps.

Winston Churchill, early in World War 2, decreed the establishment of a new branch of Army aviation to be known as the Army Air Corps. This body of tough, red bereted soldiers comprised of lightly equipped air-landed infantry to form the Parachute Regiment, the Glider Pilot Regiment, who flew gliders carrying specially trained line infantry directly into battle, and the nucleus of what was to become the Special Air Service. All these component elements were to form the Army Air Corps.

Gliders could be landed virtually on top of their objectives, as happened at Pegasus Bridge during the initial operations of the D-Day landings in June 1944. After landing, the pilots then fought as infantry soldiers or assisted in crewing the weapons or equipment they had brought in until withdrawn to fly other missions.

After the war, the original Army Air Corps was disbanded. As gliders became obsolete, pilots retrained on powered light aircraft and served alongside Air Observation Post Squadrons as part of the Army's eyes and ears. The Glider Pilot Regiment continued in existence until 1957 when it, together with the remaining Air Observation Squadrons, were amalgamated to form the present day Army Air Corps with its distinctive sky blue beret.

The present badge is also very similar to the old Glider Pilot Regiment badge.

And breath again.....
  4. Well done young man. :D

Never ever forget what the chaps before us did, make sure you really understand what they went through and I hope you are successful in getting in to the Corps.
  5. A History lesson. Bless. :D

Thanks, MrPositive.

Good luck with your career. :crazy:
  6. Thank you very much Lord Flasheart, I hope I get in too, what ever it takes right! :D
  7. Mr Positive.......... Good lad & Good luck.

Get yourself to Pegasus Bridge or Arnhem next year for the respective 65th and I'll buy you a beer for that answer. Thankfully there are still a few wearing that version of the Corps badge...... We'll always be in there debt.

Unless of course you are being fcuked around from arssehole to breakfast time during training.
  8. Good drills young man, with the attitude you are displaying so far, you will do well in the Corps.

All the best mate.
  9. MDN, are you going to the 65th? Went this year and will be going next year, we as a Regiment are taking a large marching contingent and approx 4 AH I believe (they will fly 3 on the glider course and hover over the stones as was done 65 years prior) should be a good reunion. See you there for a jar maybe?
  10. I'll hold you too that! 8)
  11. I generally do Arnhem every year, but Stella and I have decided to do Pegasus bridge aswell.

Good turn out at Oosterbeek this year, Big Bird and the boys did us proud, but it would be nice to see more proper coloured berets there...... not a dig, I understand operational commitments etc.

Its a humbling place, and am a cnut for not doing Pegasus bridge more often.

Dave and I got yapping to an old boy, who flew his glider in on the third day (massacre of the Poles) to keep the DZ clear for his oppos, he deliberatley stuffed into a tree line.

Balls of steel but as humble as you could be, a pleasure to buy him a jar.

I'll be the balding clown, uneasy on his legs and talking b0llocks within an hour of the bar opening.

Keep that attitude and you'll do fine mate.
  12. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Fcuk me I've died and gone to Hell Flashy and MDN being nice to someone,on the same thread, on the same day. Bless your cotton socks chaps, when will normal service be resumed?

All call signs this is sun ray, await incoming. Out
  13. Unfortunately, you may be waiting a while for the next intake. According to the memo from our RCMO posted up at work, the AAC is overmanned by 200 people. What this means for us who are in is that if we sign off, we are not allowed to change our minds and sign back on, and that they are also offering around twelve month attachments to the infantry and 'other arms who are not so well manned.'

For those joining up from civvy street, I would expect lengthy delays before you go to training, and frequent offers to rebadge to another Corps or Regiment.

And if you want to go to Arnhem, remember to state a posting preference for 1 Regt!
  14. Has history been made here or something?? :?
  15. Credit where its due, come on, gob off, act a cnut and get the vitriol in return.

Come here with a sound attidude, eagerness to absorb and show you've done your homework about the capbadge many of us are loyal too and you'll get a favoured responce.

Now do one you gaurds nonce. :D