• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Air Corps lids!

After some advice please! can anybody out there tell me if an Army Air Corps officers beret should have the dark blue backing behind the the cap badge or not? I'm attached to the Air Corps in June and I have an Officers beret and the Badge but I'm unsure weather I need to get the backing sewn prior on to having my cap badge sewn on! any help or advice please!

The Officer's wear a silk lined, banded beret. This is privately purchased from the Museum of Army Flying or Regimental PRI at Wattisham. The beret is alot smaller , that actually fits the head(that's why most Snr's buy them)

yes the beret I bought is silk lined, but without the dark blue backing, and your suggestion is to have the patch sewn on?

Officers generally sew the black patch in the top centre of the beret and they shape them by placing a thunderflash underneath and Guffawing alot

ok thanks MDN and BM, so is that the same for REME and RLC attached (I mean the badge backing and not MDN's beret shaping advice!!)

guiness002 said:
(I mean the badge backing and not MDN's beret shaping advice!!)
No if you are joining either of those Corps I suggest immediate suicide.

cheers MDN, well I'm in one of those "corpse" have been for the worse part of 15 years :D so yes I'm certified as paralised from the neck up, but hey its a job, sorry i mean "vocation" 8O

Sorry MDN another question, been out of the air world for a few years, when did they bring in the Black patch, and what does it signify?

minister_doh_nut said:
Officers generally sew the black patch in the top centre of the beret and they shape them by placing a thunderflash underneath and Guffawing alot
Officers sewing? Surely they would get someone else to do something so technical.

Honestly depends on what capbadge you are. RLC don't, some gunners do some don't, rifles do as do RDG, Sappers do. Depends what capbadge you are pm me for details.

OC

AT55 said:
minister_doh_nut said:
Officers sewing? Surely they would get someone else to do something so technical.
AT55 dont know about sewing, but they are a dab hand at suing!! and dont call me "shirley" :D

guiness002 said:
when did they bring in the Black patch
Its from when the Army Air Corps flew Pirate ships

minister_doh_nut said:
guiness002 said:
when did they bring in the Black patch
Its from when the Army Air Corps flew Pirate ships
Pirates?? i was well informed they are out and out cowboys?? I have been totally mislead by the brochures, i shall demand my deposit back immediately, and of course ask an officer to sue somebody on my behalf 8O

We were Pirates, then we became cowboys, hence the spurs on your George boots and the ceremonial Stetson worn on Royal visits and store openings

You not read your Corp's history?

orificecadet said:
Honestly depends on what capbadge you are. RLC don't, some gunners do some don't, rifles do as do RDG, Sappers do. Depends what capbadge you are pm me for details.

OC
When I was attached to 3 Reg as a watchkeeper, the Ops O was a sapper. He wore his corps badge without the black square. When I eventually bought a blue beret from the clothing store, I took the patch off before attaching my cap badge, but only because I didn't like it. But I was the only LI chap to be seen, so no-one said anything.

Conclusion? Do as you like.

minister_doh_nut said:
We were Pirates, then we became cowboys, hence the spurs on your George boots and the ceremonial Stetson worn on Royal visits and store openings

You not read your Corp's history?

nah! only when Insomnia gets unbearable, anyway i heard next year we will have to wear comedy breasts (however i realise there is already more than enough tits in the corps) and the spurs only assist in wheeling out the drunks from the mess , but maybe MCM Div are lying (just for a change!!)

Vasco said:
orificecadet said:

OC
When I was attached to 3 Reg as a watchkeeper, the Ops O was a sapper. He wore his corps badge without the black square. When I eventually bought a blue beret from the clothing store, I took the patch off before attaching my cap badge, but only because I didn't like it. But I was the only LI chap to be seen, so no-one said anything.

Conclusion? Do as you like.
Vasco, when were you unfortunate enough to be in the third penal reform colony? and i suppose your correct, the mantra is "do as you like" because the slavering mongs wouldn't notice!! god i love 'em
and you actually bought a beret from the clothing hole? not heard of five finger discount??