Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup - a Royal Engineer

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by right-grumpy, Nov 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On his tour of Iraq, Air Chief Marshal Sir Jock Stirrup was photographed wearing a Royal Engineer Beret!

Is the RAF yearning for their glorious past? :wink:
  2. Don't they all? :D
  3. I'm sure this was covered before?? Including pictures of him in RE beret, tri-service belt and RAF rank! Apparently it has something to do with him being honorary colonel (or some such) of an engineer unit?
  4. Ah yes 'Honour', seems the blue jobs have to get it where they can?
    Nothing in Jock's CV to show this honour though?
  5. He is an Honorary Colonel of a TA Engineer Regt - but not sure which one. Phone the EinC(A) with my compliments and ask him which one :twisted:
  6. Thank you Blonde Guy, says it all to me.................
    Top bloke is a Royal Engineer Walt!
  7. Now I know it probably matters little when you're at the dizzying heights of CDS but, genuine question, shouldnt he therefore wear Colonel's rank? Is he in mixed dress? Surely he's come as an RAF Officer (and wears RAF coloured beret with appropriate badge and RAF rank) or he comes as an honourary RE Colonel (and etc). Are thare any precedents for serving senior officers who are also honorary colonels?
  8. I've seen Generals etc. badged up as Colonels when in role as Honorary Colonel of a regiment...
  9. And his real name is "Eric"...

"Eric the Engineer"...
  10. CDS is no longer 73 Engr Regt(V)'s Honorary Colonel, this honour has now passed to Air Chief Marshall Sir Glen Torpy, Chief of the Air Staff.
  11. He will soon be an ex CDS.