Air bridge down ?

Yeah, it's snowy and all...but I hear that some p*ss poor G1 planning around the festive period is resulting in the RAF being a tad embarrassed by its inability to maintain the air bridge at the moment, and the pax are stacking up at the Brize Hilton...not so bad if you're stuck in the UK...but you are on the other end of the bridge it can't look too rosy....

Does it still affect the 14days R&R, i.e. tough your 14days are counting down when you reach the airhead?

Yes enjoy your R&R in KAF or Cyprus or where ever the RAF decide to dump you :)

Yeah, it's snowy and all...but I hear that some p*ss poor G1 planning around the festive period is resulting in the RAF being a tad embarrassed by its inability to maintain the air bridge at the moment,............
Grow up. The UK civvy airports and airlines can't cope. The UK road network is in chaos. What bit of G1 planning do you think was going to overcome the weather conditions. Or would you rather the RAF maintained the airbridge and flew in dangerous conditions risking the lives of a couple of hundred troops per flight!

Grow up. The UK civvy airports and airlines can't cope. The UK road network is in chaos. What bit of G1 planning do you think was going to overcome the weather conditions. Or would you rather the RAF maintained the airbridge and flew in dangerous conditions risking the lives of a couple of hundred troops per flight!
Come on Horrid it just gives us a chance to bitch and aim it at the crabs, makes us feel better

Yeah, it's snowy and all...but I hear that some p*ss poor G1 planning around the festive period is resulting in the RAF being a tad embarrassed by its inability to maintain the air bridge at the moment, and the pax are stacking up at the Brize Hilton...not so bad if you're stuck in the UK...but you are on the other end of the bridge it can't look too rosy....
They can't get folks home during the Summer, why should the Winter be different?

And are also a laughing stock around the world...

Fair enough that the RAF can't cope with the weather. That wasn't my point (though no doubt somke MOD suit will use that as an excuse) It was more the fact that the Crab seem to have planned to take the Xmas holidays off - Op ENTIRITY my arse ! Plus, didn't the current govt promise to sort this mess out...?

Oi back off the crabs. Last winter they bust a gut flying in and out of UK/Afghan and only stopped when it really did get too dangerous. Not one medivac didnt happen when it was needed. But yep the airbridge went down then and we had folks stuck in the UK but they tried their hardest to get them back and get others away on leave.

Fair enough that the RAF can't cope with the weather. That wasn't my point (though no doubt somke MOD suit will use that as an excuse) It was more the fact that the Crab seem to have planned to take the Xmas holidays off - Op ENTIRITY my arse ! Plus, didn't the current govt promise to sort this mess out...?
How is the government going to sort out the weather?
Op ENTIRITY doesn't mean nobody goes on leave and the RAF will have people on duty to cover flights as and when they happen. The RAF deserve slating on occasion but this isn't one of them.

Does the whole of the RAF need to be in over the Christmas period, the aircrew who are rostered to fly, engineers, air traffic control and all the other sections that provide 24 hr cover will be in.

I take it the Ops Desk at your unit will be in, and all the Toms will be in their pits waiting for a call that they may be needed for some reason or other, even though there is nothing plannned that the duty crew cannot deal with. Or more likely they will be having a bit of a break.

RP

Rubbish, we,ve had flight cancellations constantly for weeks before the bad weather set in. 3-4 days delay with even the old vc10 being brought in to connect with c17 flights.

I came back 2 weeks ago on the converted tristar which takes less pax. The first one broke down on the runway at Brize and then after the 2 Falkland flights had left we found ourselve's on another converted tristar 5 hours later.

Delays are the norm these days, its expected by all. If your flights on time its a bonus,unfortunately its like the banks,smaller bonus's.

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Rubbish, we,ve had flight cancellations constantly for weeks before the bad weather set in. 3-4 days delay with even the old vc10 being brought in to connect with c17 flights.

I came back 2 weeks ago on the converted tristar which takes less pax. The first one broke down on the runway at Brize and then after the 2 Falkland flights had left we found ourselve's on another converted tristar 5 hours later.

Delays are the norm these days, its expected by all. If your flights on time its a bonus,unfortunately its like the banks,smaller bonus's.
I came back last week, and was delayed by 24 hours.

It's worth a bit of explanation here though - Crab apologists here try to blame the 'planes - and they are indeed old and knackered. But the question should be - why are we still flying in Tristars and VC10s? There is one reason only - because the RAF insisted on A400M and FSTA. No other reason exists; if they had decided years ago (and it is several years) that these were a bad choice, we would now be flying in functioning air transport planes. Which ones does not matter (but undoubtedly not made as the result of a botched Euro collaboration). The conclusion is simple and straightforward - IT IS THE FAULT OF THE RAF THAT SOLDIERS ARE DELAYED. I'm not a great user of Caps, but in this case, after many many hours spent hanging around BZZ, or KAF, or many other inhospitable shithouses around the world, I'm fed up with Crabs trying to blame the kit for delays when it is they who chose to fly such piles of crap.

No-one else - it's down to them.

Anyone have any news? Heard of people having a 5 day delay currently nothing going out of Afghan till Wed. Doesnt look like my husband will be home for christmas :(