Ainsworth warns of casualties in Operation Moshtarak

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The defence secretary has warned of likely UK casualties as thousands of coalition troops prepare to launch a major offensive in Afghanistan.

Operation Moshtarak is designed to force Taliban militants from an area surrounding the town of Marja in Helmand province.

Bob Ainsworth said it "was not a safe environment" and operations could not be made risk-free.

The offensive will involves British, American and Afghan troops.

Codenamed Operation Moshtarak - which means "together" in the Dari language - it has been described as a "softening-up operation" to clear the Taliban from its remaining strongholds in the area.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8503130.stm

2. And the 'stating the F...... obvious' prize goes to.............

3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

The communist tit with the thin lip and the dodgy tache.

4. pity ainsworth wasnt on the op ..............in front of everyone!

5. It's right that the public should know what soldiers are about to do in their name, but surely it should come from a senior soldier - and not from a politician who will spend the entire op sipping whisky and watching the footie at home...

6. And in the aftermath of the battle, what, or who, will fill the void. Will it have to be done all over again in six months time. Or will DFID give some PC NGO a couple of million quid to ensure that there a three or four Islamic Outreach lesbians available in the nearest safe country to advise on the latest fashion in Burkhas?

7. Thankfully, the yanks have probably thought about that.

8. There are two 'casualties' I am praying for.

One begins with 'A' and ends with 'orth' and the other begins with 'B' and ends with 'own'.

9. Sadly that is not going to happen, even if the Op goes badly. It takes integrity to accept responsibility for such things, a concept totally foreign to these particular individuals.

10. What annoyed me was the way he used 'we' all the time, as if he was going to be anywhere near the flying rounds or IEDs.

11. Sad but true, even now I am having the Op and will after trans gender surgery be modelling my off the shoulder Burkha.

12. I take it that the assault was released beforehand to allow international donors to pour money in so that the Taliban are well stocked up and have plenty of IEDs in place. I know locals often get wind of major offensives because of troop build ups but when did we start announcing our plans on the world news, do we not bother with OPSEC any more? Perhaps they should have Ainsworth at the breakfast table explaining that "we're the mustard pot and over there, the sugar bowl is the Yanks and over here the salt and pepper pots are the Talib".

13. Master of the bleeding obvious. In the meantime breaking news that two Jocks from 1 Scots killed last night. RIP.

14. Ainsworth was asked a question on national news and he responded with the truth. Bit of a damned if he does and damned if he doesn't situation here methinks.

15. I'm no strategist, but here's what I see happening.

This is a war of public opinion - both in Afghanistan, and back home. It's also a war with no clear way to "win". For that reason, they need to create a set of rules and play to them. By releasing details of the op in advance, they've effectively created a 'showdown' between ISAF and the Taliban, and there will be a clear winner.