Aid to Africa a waste

Poor investments financed by the World Bank do not only waste money in themselves, they have also dragged down the entire economy. A confidential bank report quoted a Kenyan government report:

Troubled investments have required an inordinate amount of the time of government administrators, managers and policymakers, hence diverting their attention from the more basic development needs of the nation.... Kenya is another country suffering from having accepted many offers of foreign assistance not well suited to its needs. The recurrent costs of efficiently maintaining and operating projects constructed with donor assistance are beyond the budget capacity of central and local governments.
Foreign aid consists largely of one government’s “helping” another government by beefing up its budget, increasing its power over the private sector, and multiplying its leverage over its citizens. As economist P.T. Bauer observed, there is an “inherent bias of government-to-government aid towards state control and politicization.” Foreign aid greatly increases the patronage power of recipient governments. As Bauer notes, “The great increase in the prizes of political power has been a major factor in the frequency and intensity of political conflict in contemporary Africa and in the rest of the less-developed world.”

"America’s Hypocritical, Counterproductive Foreign Aid" by James Bovard, May 2003

http://www.fff.org/freedom/fd0205e.asp

Red Shrek

War Hero
The funny thing is that the western entities that complain the most about African corruption still do business with those corrupt governments.But at the same time the onus lies on the ordinary African to say collectively "enough is enough" of these corrupt African regimes.Africans are not babies neither are they sub-human.We need to stand up for ourselves and stop waiting for handouts.Thats my opinion but a lot of my African friends don't see it that way.They would rather blame colonialism which officially ended in the 60's in most cases for all the problems occuring today.Clolonialism played a minor role but Africans are primarily the cause of African problems.

Has your 'ordinary man in the bush' progressed beyond tribalisam ?
The 'Black' wars between the ANC and Chief Buthelazi where tribal fights between the Zulus and the tribes they had traditionally oppressed.
Communisam is slowly becumming a tribe and no other tribe on his planet has murdered as many of its opponents.
john

red shirk, the tiniest minority of Nigerians leaving nigeria are skilled professionals.

You've chosen to turn your back on nigeria and that says it all.

You have to blame nasty old whitey.

As far as I'm concerned you are little different from nigerias biggest export.....the 419 scammers.

So which tribe are you a "skilled professional" from; Hausa, Ibo or Yoruba ?

Stick around you're going to be fun.

Donny

ADC
armourer said:
red shirk, the tiniest minority of Nigerians leaving nigeria are skilled professionals.

As far as I'm concerned you are little different from nigerias biggest export.....the 219 scammers.

Yup, that's pretty much the sort of "Aggressive / Insulting Post" I had in mind when I ticked the box on the poll. OK for the NAAFI, but OTT and inappropriate, IMO, in Current Affairs - even as an attempted wind-up. Shame there wasn't an option on the poll for "Bigoted Drivel".

Donny said:
armourer said:

As far as I'm concerned you are little different from nigerias biggest export.....the 419 scammers.

Yup, that's pretty much the sort of "Aggressive / Insulting Post" I had in mind when I ticked the box on the poll. OK for the NAAFI, but OTT and inappropriate, IMO, in Current Affairs - even as an attempted wind-up. Shame there wasn't an option on the poll for "Bigoted Drivel".
Well dunny lets take it line by line:

Prove I'm wrong.

He/She has turned their back on nigeria he/she is becoming a yank.

He/She is blaming us nasty western whites.

My opinion or can't I have one ?

It's fact that the above are the 3 main tribes in nigeria, so it's fair to assume that He/She is from one of them.

Stick around you're going to be fun
Again my opinion...or do I have to check with you before I post an opinion ?

Shame there wasn't an option on the poll for "Bigoted Drivel"
Shame there wasn't an option on the poll for "whinging tw*t"

Have a nice day.

Red Shrek said:
The funny thing is that the western entities that complain the most about African corruption still do business with those corrupt governments.But at the same time the onus lies on the ordinary African to say collectively "enough is enough" of these corrupt African regimes.Africans are not babies neither are they sub-human.We need to stand up for ourselves and stop waiting for handouts.Thats my opinion but a lot of my African friends don't see it that way.They would rather blame colonialism which officially ended in the 60's in most cases for all the problems occuring today.Clolonialism played a minor role but Africans are primarily the cause of African problems.
tell me, armourer you thick, BNP voting fascist ****, where does he blame 'old whitey'?? (N.B Britain isn't white, long term immigration policies which without this country wouldn't be what it is today, saw to the fact that we are no longer a nation of white but a multi-coloured, multi-cultural race and better for it)

TartanJock

War Hero
G8 Summit £100 Million

Olympic Bid and Hosting them £2.4 Billion

War in Iraq £6 Billion and rising

Britains contribution to mankind and poverty!

Donny

ADC
Apart from reinforcing, in the minds of non-military visitors to ARRSE, that not all serving soldiers are bigoted and offensive half-wits, I can think of no good reason for pursuing this.

View it as a victory if you wish - self-delusion would sit comfortably with your other qualities.

sarnian

War Hero
Arrse users are entitled to their opinions just as you are entitled to yours. Your problem lies in expecting them to be one and the same thing.
As we are being accused of being fascist [sic] ignoramii, it might be pertinent to illustrate that before you judge a group of people, you get a feel for the atmosphere of their community. So despite some right-wing views (the right to hold which these people have earned by fighting to allow you to keep your left-wing ones) there is also, within this community, a great sense of charity and mutual help. In fact, I'd hazard to say that as a community, ARRSE has done more for charity than most of those doing the whining about it. If people choose to judge on the basis of one thread, without understanding how this place works, then the problem is entirely theirs.

Red Shrek

War Hero
armourer said:

I don't have actuall numbers of skilled folks who leave but in the US there are a bunch of them especially in the medical field.I did not turn my back on Nigeria,it turned its back on me.I gave 4 years of my life to serve and i feel i have earned the right to better my life.I NEVER blamed any white person for anything.Yes the 419 scammers are a real menace.Actually i am not from any of the tribes you mentioned.I am from a minority tribe in the oil producing Niger-Delta area of Nigeria.BTW i feel i should inform you that even though Nigerians are known for 419,there are way more who are productive human beings.I myself work at Microsoft,i have never scammed anybody in my life.

In amongst all the squabbling on this thread from 15 years ago, I believe that some of the sentiments are still valid. Here's a story from the Telegraph today: Foreign aid corruption paper causes storm at World Bank
...in which a couple of significant facticles come out.
For countries receiving more than 2pc of GDP in aid, “the implied average leakage rate is approximately 7.5pc”, found the study.

“On the other hand, raising the threshold to 3pc of GDP (sample of seven countries), we find a higher leakage rate of around 15pc. This pattern is consistent with existing findings that the countries attracting the most aid are not only among the least developed but also among the worst governed and that very high levels of aid might foster corruption and institutional erosion.”
Bank accounts in Switzerland and Luxembourg swell when aid is dished out, the researchers found, while those in Jersey and Belgium do not.

“We find no signs that the global improvements in financial transparency since 2009 have weakened the correlation between aid disbursements and haven deposits,” the economists said,
The more lucre we send, the more comes back to rest in European Banks, but what have the Fat Men of Africa got against the Jersey banks? I used to use one when I worked under a hot sun, and very nice they were, too.

gorillaguts981

War Hero
If the aid money went to where it was supposed to go and did the good it was meant to do, I would chuck a few quid in the hat. Every country on the continent (around 54) varies between corrupt to a complete kleptocracy. I don't want to build swimming pools for people like Zuma.

Africans are unable to run Africa is the simple truth. Not one African country has become anything more than a tribal based corrupt inefficient dictatorship. Why the West should keep throwing money at these corrupt despots is beyond me.
A recent lady friend , Zambian by birth, but came to UK 25 years ago as a trained nurse, was asked if she'd like to go back?
She pointed out the tribal rivalries decide who gets a job, who has money, who eats. And added that the Chinese now " own" Zambia for all intents and purposes.
That the Chinese are professionally removing minerals, foodstuffs, and " medicinal" animals is no bonus to the Africans, but the Chinese are less inclined to lose any sleep over uppity natives wanting change.
Which is good for the West, we can cut subsidising the bone idle, and let them enjoy independence.

In amongst all the squabbling on this thread from 15 years ago, I believe that some of the sentiments are still valid. Here's a story from the Telegraph today: Foreign aid corruption paper causes storm at World Bank
...in which a couple of significant facticles come out.

The more lucre we send, the more comes back to rest in European Banks, but what have the Fat Men of Africa got against the Jersey banks? I used to use one when I worked under a hot sun, and very nice they were, too.
And in other news the Pope announces he is a Catholic. A study by Cambridge University has concluded that bears shit in woods.

A recent lady friend , Zambian by birth, but came to UK 25 years ago as a trained nurse, was asked if she'd like to go back?
She pointed out the tribal rivalries decide who gets a job, who has money, who eats. And added that the Chinese now " own" Zambia for all intents and purposes.
That the Chinese are professionally removing minerals, foodstuffs, and " medicinal" animals is no bonus to the Africans, but the Chinese are less inclined to lose any sleep over uppity natives wanting change.
Which is good for the West, we can cut subsidising the bone idle, and let them enjoy independence.
I often wonder if the Chinese are going to get their fingers burnt with all the money they have sunk in Africa. What happens if the Africans decide they are just going to nationalise everything. Will the Chinese send in the PLA ?

Green87

Swinger
Africans are unable to run Africa is the simple truth. Not one African country has become anything more than a tribal based corrupt inefficient dictatorship. Why the West should keep throwing money at these corrupt despots is beyond me.

Latest Threads