AIA No4 mk4 Lee Enfield

#1
Hi

I am considering buying one of these rifles as on paper it will provide me with a long range rifle capapble of using surplus ammo, fitting a scope easily and looking pretty damn good.

Have any of you used the 7.62x51mm version and if so please tell me what you think of the rifle and what MOA it is capable of
 
#2
I believe No4s rebarrelled to 7.62 have been banned at Bisley, recall reading something in last months Rifleman.

Anyone who takes a No4 and converts it deserves to be whipped until red raw then dipped in salt and vinegar crisp dust.
 
#3
The AIA 7.62mm No4s have a fairly patchy reputation so far - performance seems variable. May be variations in bore diameter, or that AIA simply haven't developed the bedding enough. The rifles are quite well made, they just don't seem to meet accuracy expectations.

The smaller AIAs (No5 clones) in 7.62x39 seem quite good - at least the batch in UK. Some overseas owners reporting oversize bores. I have this M10 model, and it manages 2-3 moa up to about 300yds with that really cheapo Wolf ammo. Very cheap shooter, compared to just about any other full bore these days!




P.s. the NRA warning on 7.62mm-actioned No4s appears to be utter groundless horse poo, and they've not attempted to answer any challenges about it....
 
#4
Porridge_gun said:
I believe No4s rebarrelled to 7.62 have been banned at Bisley, recall reading something in last months Rifleman.

Anyone who takes a No4 and converts it deserves to be whipped until red raw then dipped in salt and vinegar crisp dust.
I agree, however these are not conversions these are brand new rifles, no surplus parts used at all.
 
#5
4(T) said:
P.s. the NRA warning on 7.62mm-actioned No4s appears to be utter groundless horse poo,
Possibly but owner should still be persecuted.

Its like taking a Webley Fosberry and turning it in a police snubby with Pachmyers......... criminal.
 
#6
Porridge_gun said:
4(T) said:
P.s. the NRA warning on 7.62mm-actioned No4s appears to be utter groundless horse poo,
Possibly but owner should still be persecuted.

Its like taking a Webley Fosberry and turning it in a police snubby with Pachmyers......... criminal.

Are these ok......?

 
#7
No....... beautiful as they are..... 7.62 is just wrong.

Saying that, I can't be arrsed reloading and have been quoted £107.50 for .303........ looks like its time to get the dies out.
 
#10
A droolworthy collection.

If anyone ever breaks in to your safe and leaves salty DNA all over the No3s & No5s chances are its me, so apologies in advance
 
#12
lovely collection.

I have a ShTLE No1 Mk1 with the "solid nose cap" and volley sights associated with the MLE dated 1904.

Will take some photos tomorrow and upload them, but it's not as nice as your collection
 
#14
Living here in the US, I may be asking a real bone question, but ....
Although the prices for ALL long arms have gone up markedly in the last 12 months, there are still many Savage made (and others) Mk4 no1's to be had here.
They vary in price and quality, but start at around $350.00. They are, obviously, .303 weapons. If they are readily available in the US, then I would hope that they would also be available in the UK?

If you want cheap and dodgy 7.62mm Lee-Enfield, there are any number of Indian made ones around here for sale. When I say "cheap", I mean $120 "Bargain bucket" stuff.

Although I have now owned mine for 4 years, I picked up my Mk4 No2, for $189.00. While it is no "museum" piece, it is accurate and in no way as messed up in appearance, as the Indian ones all seem to be. Not as nice as some in the Gun porn above though :-(

As to cheap ammo, there is any amount of cheap Indian/Pakistani .303 available here. Priced at around $11.00 for 32 rounds. Date stamped circa 1962-5 from what I have seen. This DOES have a gruesome reputation for hang firing, which say one in 50 round do actually do. But, still cheaper than Wolf stuff by about 50%.
If you want to go "Rolls-Royce, I have to say Hornaby's ammo is the most reliable (unless you match load) of the various brands I have tried.
 
#15
EX_STAB said:
Beautiful until the one with the Harris bipod. urghhhh! :puker:

A genuine Enforcer, with a Harris bipod as specified by Police and Home Office "sniping experts"..... I suppose in c.1970, any sort of bipod was seen as daring and avant garde...
 
#16
IndianaDel said:
Living here in the US, I may be asking a real bone question, but ....
Although the prices for ALL long arms have gone up markedly in the last 12 months, there are still many Savage made (and others) Mk4 no1's to be had here.
They vary in price and quality, but start at around $350.00. They are, obviously, .303 weapons. If they are readily available in the US, then I would hope that they would also be available in the UK?

If you want cheap and dodgy 7.62mm Lee-Enfield, there are any number of Indian made ones around here for sale. When I say "cheap", I mean $120 "Bargain bucket" stuff.

Although I have now owned mine for 4 years, I picked up my Mk4 No2, for $189.00. While it is no "museum" piece, it is accurate and in no way as messed up in appearance, as the Indian ones all seem to be. Not as nice as some in the Gun porn above though :-(

As to cheap ammo, there is any amount of cheap Indian/Pakistani .303 available here. Priced at around $11.00 for 32 rounds. Date stamped circa 1962-5 from what I have seen. This DOES have a gruesome reputation for hang firing, which say one in 50 round do actually do. But, still cheaper than Wolf stuff by about 50%.
If you want to go "Rolls-Royce, I have to say Hornaby's ammo is the most reliable (unless you match load) of the various brands I have tried.
No4s are still relatively plentiful in UK. However, price and quality have become highly distorted due to the stringent ownership restrictions. The overwhelming majority of Enfields have long since gone for export or deactivation (the UK market for deacts is far higher than that for live rifles...).

There are now virtually no gunsmiths/dealers remaining with either the spares or expertise to maintain rifles, so many "live" rifles on the market tend to be worn or poorly cobbled-together rebuilds. Its not like the US where you can find fairly mint original rifles left over from the vast imports of milsurps.

Some fresh rifles are being re-imported from US or - currently - South Africa, but the price suffers accordingly. A cheap No4 might go for c.£200, a good Mk2 for about £350, and a new-in-wrap reimport about £600. UK dealer prices seem high, but this is driven by very high overheads (tax, proof, transport, insurance, etc) being shared across a very limited number of sold rifles - most UK shooters are only allowed a very limited number of firearms, so there are very little "collecting", "impulse buy" or "nice to have" sales that you get in other countries. (Some of us reckon that at least 90% of the potential trade in rifles is snuffed out by licensing controls).

Ammo supply has dwindled away to almost nothing in the past year or two. We basically have a monopoly supplier of new Privi Partzan; good ammo - but it costs around £53/100 retail at the moment. Surplus has now vanished completely. Partly this is to do with - as ever in UK - unnecessary EU rules and restrictions on trade. At least two big overseas caches of surplus .303 are known about, but EU shipping & import regulations mean that the stuff cannot be imported at any sort of sensible price.
 
#17
does the bi pod make any differance on the 303 ? from what i remember it kicked like a mule..
 
#18
4(T) said:
EX_STAB said:
Beautiful until the one with the Harris bipod. urghhhh! :puker:

A genuine Enforcer, with a Harris bipod as specified by Police and Home Office "sniping experts"..... I suppose in c.1970, any sort of bipod was seen as daring and avant garde...

I'm very surprised at that. I would have thought the Parker Hale would have been fitted. I thought the Harris was a somewhat later design......
 
#19
I've used a AIA No.4 several times,
The are very pricey but pleasant to shoot, and are very accurate in the right hands, but depends, are you willing to pay £400+ for a new 7.62x51 No.4
 
#20
yes I am willing to do so, the variety of reloading and the fact that its a better catridge make it attractive to me, also I can scope it without murdering a piece of history, not to mention it means I can put less rounds through my no4 mk2 and keep its barrel in good nick while still shooting a Lee Enfield
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads