AI - Medical Requirements

Discussion in 'ACF' started by FlashMob, Apr 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

Couple of quick questions if I may, had a look through the FAQ thread but didn't really get a definitive answer to any of this so here goes - Gone through the whole university degree/masters/phd process and now working for a living as an engineer but feel the need to put something back so thinking of becoming an AI

1/ What is the medical requirements for being an AI, are they as stringent as the TA? I would presume not because a large part of the argument for TA & Regs being so strict is difficulty of medical resupply on the front line which is fair enough, but thought it worth asking before I go any further down the line of thinking about the whole gig. I'm fit, healthy and ex-cadet but have asthma and always will. It's well managed to the point where I don't really notice it and doesn't get in the way of physical exertion but was enough for the Regs to knock me back many moons ago. If it makes a difference by region I'm in W. Yorkshire.

2/ Age. What would you consider a good age to start, is 27 too young? I'm guessing some degree of seniority in terms of age is necessary to get the kids to sit up and listen.

3/ Commitment, is this flexible as long as you are upfront about how much time you can give over and don't lead people up the garden path? Realities of life mean that every weekend + 2 nights a week would probably be a big ask, but nights + a weekend a month would be possible.

Thanks

2. You will have no worries mate though, you will have to have a medical of sorts, having athsma will not in any way hinder you in joining the ACF
    The fact is the organisation is always looking for instructors/assisting staff, you sound like you would be an asset!
    The age thing is not an issue either at 27 id say its a perfect age,
    Relating to the cadets is the main thing and as you were an ex cadet im sure you will do just fine!
    Go for it you will be glad you did!

Troop

3. As long as you are reasonably complete, and wont go to pieces if you miss a nights sleep, your okay. Any condition is okay, as long as its manageable.

Being fit is a great asset, particularly as you progress as AI, and can do more exciting things with the cadets such as direct FTXs using blank & pyro, but if you can't physically keep up with the cadets you will struggle.

However too many cadets these days are couch potatos who never walk anywhere, but are driven in 'Mumstaxi' so don't be surprised if your fitter than them. I once beat my entire det on a 1.5 miler with 11.02 not so long ago. they were in PT kit. I was in boots and S95 too!

I couldnt do it now, because of a broken ankle 2 years ago and getting over 2 bouts of Atrial fibrillation and prescription drug induced asthma, a side effect of the drugs I was taking. However I am doing 5 mile walks with 18 kilos of weight to build me up, and short runs when I can and its getting better. I'm also working hard to keep my weight down. I'll need to as I am going to Sennybridge for annual!

I only do 1 sometimes 2 nights at my det anyway, and 1 weekend a month is rare, it being more like 1 every two months plus annual/easter/Christmas camps and courses.

I joined the adult side at 39. Wish I had done it 15 years ago now!

4. I'm in West Yorks. If you have some more specific questions, please get in touch. I might well be able to point you in the right direction.

5. FlashMob

Hi,

Couple of quick questions if I may, had a look through the FAQ thread but didn't really get a definitive answer to any of this so here goes - Gone through the whole university degree/masters/phd process and now working for a living as an engineer but feel the need to put something back so thinking of becoming an AI

1/ What is the medical requirements for being an AI, are they as stringent as the TA? I would presume not because a large part of the argument for TA & Regs being so strict is difficulty of medical resupply on the front line which is fair enough, but thought it worth asking before I go any further down the line of thinking about the whole gig. I'm fit, healthy and ex-cadet but have asthma and always will. It's well managed to the point where I don't really notice it and doesn't get in the way of physical exertion but was enough for the Regs to knock me back many moons ago. If it makes a difference by region I'm in W. Yorkshire.

As long as you can draw on a B&H, pull the ring on a can of Fosters, whilst just mustering enough spare breath to talk utter b*ll*x you'll be fine.

2/ Age. What would you consider a good age to start, is 27 too young? I'm guessing some degree of seniority in terms of age is necessary to get the kids to sit up and listen.

You are a little young, there's a danger you could actually relate to the kids. You'll have to work hard at shouting pointlessly for them to regard you as totally irrelevant until you establish yourself as a totally contemptible waste of rations.

3/ Commitment, is this flexible as long as you are upfront about how much time you can give over and don't lead people up the garden path? Realities of life mean that every weekend + 2 nights a week would probably be a big ask, but nights + a weekend a month would be possible.

Commitment won't be an issue, they'll demand too much of your time no matter what you say you can commit to. After a few years you can apply for a staff job where your commitment is reduced to making up the ration strength for Annual Camp and generally getting in the way.

I'm sure you'll be made very welcome, your engineering background will be highly regarded - someone has to set up the beer pumps in the Sgt's Mess.

6. Not cynical, Ghandi? :D

7. I wear an Hearing Aid and is reasonably fit otherwise, it was not an issue, the medicals was a breeze, they only want to know that you are not going to drop dead the next minute.

so you should have no problems mate.