AI - Artificial Intelligence: boon or bollocks?

When faced with a chatbot, do you:

• Close the chatbot and continue using the site?

Votes: 9 29.0%
  • Close the website and go elsewhere?

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Engage with the chatbot and use it to answer your questions?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ask the chatbot what underwear (if any) it is wearing and would it like to engage in procreation?

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Give me a human to talk to or I'll burn down your head office!

Votes: 10 32.3%

• Total voters
The interesting bit of AI is in the "I" bit. Say there's a chatbot, and it has one of three opening lines:

"Yo mug, we've made $50K out of idiots like you already today. How can we make it $51K?"

"I see you're 19. We've helped 39 people in your age group save money on car insurance already today. What can we do to make it 40?"

"Thanks for contacting us, how can we be of help?"

If the algorithm then works out the response rates and adjusts the opening gambit accordingly, it's doing its job. Better yet would be a report detailing the questions and response rates, suggesting more refinement on the most successful question, for each demographic.

I know this is a ridiculously simple example, but machine learning is where it's at. The machine needs to make its own decisions to be "AI".

"I see you are female, weigh 250lbs, and are between the ages of 14 and 50. Are you pregnant or just fat?" No-one need get hurt :)
Not quite there yet, officially.

As I have already stated many systems and bot's are simply expert systems and decision tree's, long complicated ones but, still decision trees. When I played with them and was knocking them out mine were basically self adjusting mathematical algorithms that iterated until the input produced the required output. No independent autonomous Terminator like thought there.

However, we did play with some 68K Motorola processors to produce some electro-mechanical outputs driving lights, fans, and a robot arm. With advances in sensor tech and increased processor speeds nowadays you can probably knock out some decent hardware capable of programmed reactions to particular external stimuli.

But at the end of the day AI will just sit there, it will not pick up a book to read it, will not dap off to make itself a coffee, will not go and shag that sexy looking server in the corner. To me, and I played with the stuff, these chat bot's and similar things that they run when you call your bank, or electric company are about as welcome as calling an Indian call centre.

Unless you have a stack of cash to invest in companies that now only have a tiny wage bill, it is a no-brainer disaster.

No jobs=no taxes paid+no national insurances payments = unemployment+homelessness, starvation+poverty+ now is the time for the 99% to rid the planet of the 1% = all those post-apocalyptic movies you have ever watched.