Ahmadinejad to seek UN compensation for WWII

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by singha61, Dec 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iran's president says he will soon write to the UN Secretary-General asking for his country to be compensated for World War II damages.
    "We will seek compensation for World War II damages. I have assigned a team to calculate the costs," Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said at a Friday press conference in the Danish capital.
    "I will write a letter to the UN Secretary-General [Ban Ki-moon] asking for Iran to be compensated for the damages," he added, pointing out that such a move is necessary to ensure that justice was served.
    Ahmadinejad told the reporters that the countries that won the Second World War had inflicted a lot of damage on Iran by invading the country and using its resources.
    The president added that while the former Soviet Union, the United States and Britain received compensation after the conflict, Iran had been given nothing to make up for the suffering its people had endured.
    "During this period, the Iranian people were subjected to a great deal of pressure and the country suffered a great deal of damages but Iran was not paid any compensation," Ahmadinejad explained.
    At the start of World War II, Iran declared its neutrality, but the country was soon invaded by both Britain and the Soviet Union on August 26, 1941 in Operation Countenance.
    Iran's refusal to give into Allied demands and expel all German nationals from the country was the excuse they needed to occupy the country. Within months of the invasion Iran became known as "The Bridge of Victory" to the Allies.
    When invading the Soviet Union in 1941, the Allies urgently needed to transport war materiel across Iran to the Soviet Union.
    The effects of the war, however, were very catastrophic for Iran. Food and other essential items were scarce and severe inflation imposed great hardship on the lower and middle classes as the needs of foreign troops were prioritized.
    "Not only was Iran deprived of any compensation for World War II, but 10 years later, the Americans even went as far as arranging a coup to reverse a popular uprising that had led to the nationalization of oil," said Ahmadinejad.
    In 1953, Washington orchestrated a coup against the popular and democratically-elected Iranian prime minister of the time, Mohammad Mosaddeq, whose efforts led to the nationalization of the country's oil industry.
    Almost half a century later, former US secretary of state Madeleine Albright acknowledged the pivotal role that the US played in the coup, coming closer than any other American diplomat to apologizing for the intervention.
    "The Eisenhower administration believed its actions were justified for strategic reasons... But the coup was clearly a setback for Iran's political development. And it is easy to see now why many Iranians continue to resent this intervention by America," she said in March 2000.
    Ahmadinejad who had travelled to Copenhagen to take part in the Climate Change Summit, returned to Iran on Saturday morning.

http://www.presstv.ir/detail.aspx?id=114112&sectionid=351020101

2. Never mind the fact we saved you from Italians, Russia etc, you are welcome

3. The man is actually a nutcase, isn't he?

Oh well. I'm sure Broon can have a look down the back of the sofa and find a few billion quid for him...

4. Well good luck with that, Mr. Dinner-Jacket. :roll: Your Islamic Revolution drove out the Shah in 1979 and your rulers have their hands on Iran's oil so I don't think you will be getting any money for WW II damages. If you play your cards right however, you may get an apology from The Anointed One, for whatever that's worth. Can't think how he missed you in his first World Tour of Apology when he first took office... :wink: :lol:

[​IMG]

5. This is no ordinary nutcase. This is a Marks and Spencer, deluxe, family size nutcase that's soon to be armed with nuclear weapons. We should tell him that we want compensation for Omid Djalili.

Anyway, I'm just off the phone to the UN and Ban-Ki Moon (guess what they call him when he's not around) wants to know how to say 'kiss my arrse' in Farsi. Any cunning linguists out there?

I'd guess we can expect more cr@p like this from the Iranians as they anticipate their first nuclear test. Time for another coup methinks. If we install a political rather than a religious nutter we could get the Iraqis and Iranians back to fighting each other again instead of annoying us.

6. Er did you actually read the article? We invaded the place in concert with the Russians. As for after the war we don't exactly have a sterling record there either, that whole overthrowing the democratically elected government thing in 1953.

Well whilst he undoubtedly a loon and certainly not going to get any cash out of it he might have something of a legitimate grievance. Now I only know a very little about Iran during WW2 but I thought they were neutral. Does anyone with any real knowledge of the situation know whether they were truly neutral or biased to the Axis neutral? Because if it was the former invading the place simply because we wanted to use their rail network and they refused citing their rights as a neutral state does seem slightly over the top.

7. my bad,russians switched sides more often than my mum does dirty keks! :D

8. Oh I don't know, I am starting to slowly warm up to him.

He may have started a good thing here as well, I mean why stop at World War II?

If this goes to court, I reckon that Britain could put an awesome case forward against the French for 1066 and against the Italians for their Roman genocide against us peaceful Britanic Druids.

9. Yes, I have noticed that Ahmadinejad is doing a lot of things to piss the West off now. It's as if the man wants his country to be invaded.
    What is his masterplan??

10. Blackmail the UN once he's proved (to the worldwide media) he's got in range effective missiles or should I say completed his Nuclear Test????

Nah, He would'nt consider that now would he?

11. Nice of him to remind us all of how quickly and easily his military was overwhelmed and how Iran was successfully occupied in the past :D

cough cough

oh Ive got such a terrible cough

Cough Cough

12. I'm sure the Liberals amongst us will apply their right on modern thinking to events that happened nearly 70 years ago. It was a WORLD WAR
    FFS!

13. could not have said it better myself... What a TAWT

14. Half the population of Iran are ready to top him. He needs to provoke external powers in order to try and unify his own under a banner of Persian patriotism and give his government greater justification for increased repression of domestic opponents.

If the west can manage not to drop bombs on him for the next 6-12 months the Iranians themselves might well be able to sort it/him out from within.

The issue then is his boss. Ahmedinijad is just a slightly more powerful comical Ali and certainly not the real power in the country.

15. To deflect attention from this;

Iraq asks Iran to withdraw troops from oil field
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8421971.stm

to unite the Iranians behind a common cause to prevent him losing power;

Iran's government 'will not last', says Mehdi Karoubi
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8420453.stm

Oh and to hasten the coming of the Mahdi.