Ahhhhh! Which Laptop???

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Galileo82, Apr 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All

I’m in the market for a new laptop. Nothing fancy, just a decent one that will do what I tell it. I’ll use it for iTunes, downloading music, interweb, word, excel, possibly DVDs etc. Budget £500ish.

I quite fancy a Dell Inspiron 1525. On the Dell website you can customize your laptop (link) and buy it. I know nothing about all the various components.

For example, is the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5550 (1.83 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache) much better than the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.00 GHz, 667 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache) for an extra £20???

Should I just buy the standard one or upgrade various components? Or choose a different laptop? Any advice will be much appreciated.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?b=&c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&kc=NRS15253&l=en&oc=n0452508&rbc=n0452508&s=dhs

Thanks and regards,

Galileo

2. Steer clear of Staples/dixons/currys/pc world if you can - crap after sales service.

If you go for Dell they have a 'Dell Outlet'

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?c=uk&cs=&l=en&s=dfh&~ck=betafrbsd&~ck=mn

They have pre ordered stuff that people have cancelled orders on or just stuff on sale. Also if you've got someone overseas they have a tax free sales dept - good scam! (So I've been told!)

CPC; http://cpc.farnell.com/laptops-notebooks have some good deals here and there.

Got mine from Tesco - Acer Aspire 9300 - £500 last time I looked.

Happy hunting mate.

3. I've bought a laptop 2 months ago.
    It's an Asus PRO70K-7S036C AMD Dual Core/2048mb/120Gb,runs on Vista and it really does what it says on the tin!
    I really love the thing and Vista runs like a dream.
    I even play CoD4 on high settings without trouble.
    Set me down € 740

Don't look further,buy an Asus!

4. If buying from DELL go to dell buisness and go for xp rather than vista and go for the cpu with the highest L2 cache

5. I'm going to get me one of these babies....

http://www.apple.com/uk/macbookair/guidedtour/

although my 4 year old Powerbook is still my main laptop which I use all day it will do all the tasks you mentioned. I also use design software (InDesign,Photoshop,Illustrator etc...) and some pretty memory hungry games without issue. you could easily get a good one, in good nick sub £500 on Ebay etc...

Need more advise etc...PM me.

PoGs
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

6. Dell XPS is a great system with amazing after sales. 24hr support and next day on site as standard. Currently using the XPS 1330 and its as good as I could want.

7. I went Dell 2 weeks ago

Got a XPS 1530 with Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100 (2.10 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 3 MB L2 cache), NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8600M GT with 256MB dedicated graphic memory, 4Gb memory, 320GB (5.400rpm) SATA Hard Drive, Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load drive, including SW.

Goes like a rabid donkey on acid.

and got it tax free as Im at a BFPO address.

8. ASUS...??

I GUARNTEE your battery will be phucked (30 mins of DVD play - tops) within 6 months and completely dead within 12.

9. How about the XPS M1330 at £636 with the following specs?

BASE Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support) edit
    COLOUR CHOICE Midnight Blue & 2.0 mega pixel Camera for CCFL Display edit
    LCD 13.3" UltraSharp™ WXGA (1280x800) CCFL Display (220nits) with TrueLife™ edit
    BIOMETRIC IDENTIFICATION Biometric Fingerprint Reader edit
    MEMORY 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024] edit
    HARD DRIVE 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive edit
    GRAPHICS CARD Integrated Intel® Graphic Media Accelerator X3100 edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load Drive, including SW edit
    PRIMARY BATTERY Primary 4-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (37 WHr) Lightweight edit

10. I am trying very hard to convince myself not to get one...I might end up just doing it!

11. Bought one from PC world recently. Only advice I can give is be cautious of the young fat pr1ck salesman. The hard drive in the store model was not as powerful as the one available for the business market (same £), which was held at warehouse.

Outcome, a better PC (apparently) but you are not told you will require business insurance to cover the PC, household insurance wont cover it. It's in the region of £6.50 a month. Very annoying but I'm tied into the contract. My fault for not reading the small print. My point is, yes it's my fault but a little honest guidance and info. and integrity from the salesman would have been appreciated.

12. Macs,

Upside: Fast, Cool looking and simple to use, They don't get virus's (beware, they are not immune though).
    simple & easy to use (did I say that again?), WYSIWYG, more reliable, longer lasting ...I have three macs 2 desktops and a Laptop all about 3-4 years old all running the latest software with out having to upgrade memory etc.....

Downside: expensive brand new, You may have to wait a year to get the top games (which is ironic as many are designed on a mac in the first place) ... and er....thats it.

Last thought: get as much RAM as you can afford.

PoGs
    www.pocketcomms.co.uk

13. Go and visit your local apple store and get them to give you a demo. OK they are a bit pricey but they are a cracking bit of kit and well worth it in the long run. I certainly don't regret splashing out on my Macbook.

14. if your getting a Dell XPS for gaming, youll need to upgrade the RAM to 4Gb.
    Ring them and tell them what you want. They sometimes have deals on where they will upgrade the memory or even the processor for free.

15. If you are buying from Dell direct wait until the last Thursday of the month as that is when the put the best deals on their website to try and drive extra revenue before month-end.